Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Grand Canyon, Rim to Rim, Car swap.
Steve C #30298 03/13/13 09:39 PM
J
J
To go from S Rim to N Rim (or N to S); one cuts off at Lees Ferry and misses the slide. The slide /closure just makes the Glen Canyon/Lake Powell/Page to Grand Canyon/Flagstaff trip a little longer.

JAGCHiker #30514 03/24/13 01:43 AM
A
A
I've hiked the Canyon before and plan to hike N.Rim to S.Rim with my two daughters in Mid-May. We'll probably take the shuttle, though it is definitely expensive for 3 people.

While you are all probably seasoned hikers, it won't hurt to keep these 5 tips in mind: This would be especially true for anyone starting out on the S. Kaibab Trail which is steep and dry:

1. Slow down and take it easy during your descent -- even if you feel great and full of energy. Otherwise you may "kill" your knees on the way down and really regret it on the way back up. I learned this from my first Canyon experience hiking down to the Havasupai Reservation more than 30 years ago.

2. Drink your water as you go. Don't hoard it! It gets hotter and hotter as you descend and because the air is so dry, you don't realize how much water you are losing from sweating. Dehydration brings disorientation. I learned this lesson on a solo hike down the S. Kaibab Trail, across to Indian Gardens on the Tonto Trail, and back up the Bright Angel Trail. Fortunately, I found a spring and some bushes with shade near the Tonto Trail to re-hydrate. Incidentally, I don't recommend the Tonto Trail for anyone with a fear of heights or vertigo. It gets very narrow at some points (unless they've improved it since I was there).

3. Watch where you put your hands and feet. This will help you avoid stumbles and snakebites. I've seen a lot of rattlesnakes in Arizona, but they mind their own business and only strike when they are startled or feel threatened. I've never seen them in the Canyon but they are certainly there.

4. If you take aspirin, it makes more sense to take it just before you start out -- before you get sore. Aspirin is anti-inflammatory and will help to prevent soreness. Also soaking your sore and tired feet in cool or cold water not only feels good, it helps reduce swelling and inflammation. You'll find a nice, cool stream at Phantom Ranch.

5. Take a walking stick! You won't find one in the Canyon, and that "third leg" will help you avoid falls and will let your arms give your legs a boost on the way back up.

I hope you have a wonderful trip and hike!

Dan

Arizona Dan #30519 03/24/13 08:48 AM
I did a loop hike a year ago January with 3 friends. We descended the South Rim via the S. Kaibab and returned via the Bright Angel. Here's a public link to my FB pics - the captions have logistical info as well.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=...mp;l=477d716e80

Buses run very early (at least by 6) but that can be verified by their GCNP website, or by a call to them. We left our vehicle at the main VC about 6 (just missed the previous bus) but caught the next one. There appeared to be some limited parking at the S. Kaibab TH itself. On the return, we caught a bus not far from the Bright Angel TH over to the main VC and got our vehicle.

We took 2 liters down, but could have easily done with one. Before re-crossing the Colorado (near the kiosk in one of the pictures) was potable water. There was also potable water at Indian Springs. The Backcountry Visitor Center (it's a separate building) can give you exact status of the water sources.

In terms of the north rim - there was a highway failure in the north - near Paige - but I have no idea what - if any impact - the failure will have on rim-to-rim shuttles.

Hope this helps.

KevinR #30524 03/24/13 01:08 PM
S
S
AZ Dan, thanks for the tips. I plan to take TWO walking sticks -- a pair if Leiki carbon fiber poles. I plan on starting before 5 AM, drinking as much water as I can before heading down, and carrying two liters on the way down. I'm expecting it will take about 4 hours to reach the river. Does that sound realistic?

KevinR, great pictures. I hope others can see them on the Facebook page. I'm really looking forward to seeing the views.

I can see now why one liter of water was all you needed...

Steve C #30532 03/24/13 03:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Steve C
I plan on starting before 5 AM, drinking as much water as I can before heading down, and carrying two liters on the way down. I'm expecting it will take about 4 hours to reach the river.

It took us 3:30 to the river, and we took lots of pictures. We were in no particular rush - we were veterans of high dessert hiking, and were acclimated to that climate. However, one of members became ill about a mile from Phantom Ranch, and assisting him to the ranch added at least 30 minutes, perhaps longer.

One thing that can add time is how many pack trains you run into. They weren't too much of an issue in late January, but you might see more of them. You have to find a cubby and wait for them to pass.

Arizona Dan #30567 03/25/13 09:00 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Great advice Dan,
I will have to get the Little one to slow down on the way to the bottom. She usually trucks down hill pretty fast.
We don't want to have any issues once we get there.

We used trekking poles for many years, endured many comments early on before the were popular, like "where's the skis"? Now that I carry a DSLR and constantly take pictures, I find that the poles get in the way. I may have my wife take a set and share when necessary.

My daughter would love to see a rattle snake, we'll be careful.
If you're hiking the RTR May 16-18 stop us and say hello. we'll be the group with a 7 year old, hard to miss.
Julius

Originally Posted By: Arizona Dan
I've hiked the Canyon before and plan to hike N.Rim to S.Rim with my two daughters in Mid-May. We'll probably take the shuttle, though it is definitely expensive for 3 people.

While you are all probably seasoned hikers, it won't hurt to keep these 5 tips in mind: This would be especially true for anyone starting out on the S. Kaibab Trail which is steep and dry:

1. Slow down and take it easy during your descent -- even if you feel great and full of energy. Otherwise you may "kill" your knees on the way down and really regret it on the way back up. I learned this from my first Canyon experience hiking down to the Havasupai Reservation more than 30 years ago.

2. Drink your water as you go. Don't hoard it! It gets hotter and hotter as you descend and because the air is so dry, you don't realize how much water you are losing from sweating. Dehydration brings disorientation. I learned this lesson on a solo hike down the S. Kaibab Trail, across to Indian Gardens on the Tonto Trail, and back up the Bright Angel Trail. Fortunately, I found a spring and some bushes with shade near the Tonto Trail to re-hydrate. Incidentally, I don't recommend the Tonto Trail for anyone with a fear of heights or vertigo. It gets very narrow at some points (unless they've improved it since I was there).

3. Watch where you put your hands and feet. This will help you avoid stumbles and snakebites. I've seen a lot of rattlesnakes in Arizona, but they mind their own business and only strike when they are startled or feel threatened. I've never seen them in the Canyon but they are certainly there.

4. If you take aspirin, it makes more sense to take it just before you start out -- before you get sore. Aspirin is anti-inflammatory and will help to prevent soreness. Also soaking your sore and tired feet in cool or cold water not only feels good, it helps reduce swelling and inflammation. You'll find a nice, cool stream at Phantom Ranch.

5. Take a walking stick! You won't find one in the Canyon, and that "third leg" will help you avoid falls and will let your arms give your legs a boost on the way back up.

I hope you have a wonderful trip and hike!

Dan

Steve C #31013 04/20/13 02:44 PM
J
J
Steve-
1) Place to stay-As you pass through the northern traffic loop, you head up a rise. At the top you'll see a left turn lane to N. Long Jim Loop. Turn left and you are now in US Forest land. Follow the dirt road and it will drop down the ridge into a low land. The map shows the left turn, and when it turns left to the south, you're at the spot mentioned above. Great sites on both sides of the road- no car traffic noise or town lights.No need to sleep on the ground- a cot will make it comfortable. I have one if wanted.
2) The staff at the entrance station can help you get your own Senior Pass. Just show your Drivers License and $10.- as you know.
3)I'm thinking that the side road south of the train tracks would be a great place to pick you up, and for Julius to find his car; once his walk is done. That way he can hit the ice crean store, go check in, and then get the car/luggage. The building is the old power station, and directly across from the Bright Angel Lodge and stairway.
4) I'm working Thursday, so I can give you a lift to the trail head, but won't be able to take a morning walk with you. We can set a time for me to pick you up, etc. in the upcoming weeks.

JAGCHiker #31018 04/20/13 09:52 PM
S
S
JA: Thanks so much for the pointers. I have located the overnight spot you described on the aerial satellite map. (map link) (note the cross-hairs dead center).

BTW, check out this satellite view (close to my overnight spot).  I've never seen an airplane sitting on the ground in the middle of the forest before. wink

As for parking Thursday morning, I believe you are referring to a strip of parking along Village Loop Drive, just after it crosses both sections of railroad. (map link) Please check the map to make sure I am on the right "track". Edit: Here is the spot I'll try to use.

You wrote:
> The building is the old power station, and directly across from the Bright Angel Lodge and stairway.
Not sure what building you are writing about, or what its purpose is.

I'll definitely appreciate the lift! I'll email you about a week before the trip.

Steve C #31020 04/21/13 11:37 AM
J
J
Steve- you are in the right area. Depending on how many campers could also be there- lots of good spots along thar road. Not sure about the plane- A plane did go down in that area over 10 yrs ago- maybe it was too expensive to remove?

I put the cursor on 36.055978,-112.140733 for the ideal spot on the access road. The shadow crossing the road, is from the old power building. You can see the stairs just north of the tracks coming down from the road in front of the BA parking lot. The southern side of the road is a parking area- you can see several cars parked- so that morning we'll just find a spot thats open- and then relay it to Julius when you see him somewhere on the N. Kaibab.

Last edited by Steve C; 06/20/13 12:00 AM.
JAGCHiker #31021 04/21/13 03:52 PM
S
S
Ok, now I have the parking spot, north side of the old power station, down the stairs and across the tracks from the Bright Angel Lodge. Best spot would be in the shadow of the building, since it would be shady part of the day.

As for my "BTW" plane comment, the satellite image actually caught that plane in flight. It was flying, so that explains its blurryness in the picture. Looking at it again, we can see the windows only on one side, meaning the plane was banking in a turn. It must have been on final approach to the Grand Canyon Airport, which is about two miles SW.

Steve C #31061 04/24/13 08:12 AM
Steve -

On Monday I did the loop hike (S. Kaibab to river, return via Bright Angel), and conditions were great. Temps on the South Rim reach 70F, and temps near the river about 10 degrees higher. Spring has sprung, and lots of plants and bushes are in bloom, and wildlife is in abundance. Saw many elk and mule deer within a mile or so of the rim, and was thrilled to see a pair of CA condors soaring as I climbed up the canyon from the river. I posted a couple of photos on my FB timeline, but don't know how to link to them from this BB. Several potable water sources on the Bright Angel. It was a great hike - the S. Kaibab is on my short list of "Best Hikes of All Time". I don't think I'd want to attempt this loop much later in the year, at least as a dayhike. I found that I'd "lost" much of my acclimatization to high desert hiking I acquired from living seven years in Inyokern once I'd returned to New England during the past year and spent the winter hiking in NH's White Mtn NF.

Kevin

KevinR #31062 04/24/13 09:14 AM
S
S
Here are your two condor pics from Facebook. Nice!

Re: Grand Canyon, Rim to Rim, Car swap
Julius S. #31201 05/02/13 07:37 PM
A friend and I did this trip a few years back. The shuttle ride was long (especially after driving from LA earlier in the day). The hike down from the North Rim is beautiful, but seems to go on forever. The signage is very poor so you have no idea how close you are to the bottom. I don't know what time of the year you were planning on doing this, we did it at the end of May and it was 126 degrees down at Phantom Ranch. Needless to say, we spent most of our rest day sitting in a shady part of the river relaxing. Just get an early start (like 5am) for your hike back up to the South Rim.

Julius S. #31203 05/02/13 09:44 PM
D
DUG Offline
D
Rim to Rim to Rim avoids a car swap. Not everyone's cup of tea though...................................DUG

DUG #31314 05/09/13 08:52 PM
S
S
I'm doing a hike Friday to get ready. SPOT is coming along.

Steve C #31318 05/10/13 05:19 PM
Steve should be past Vernal on the way home, having bagged HD.

What is wrong with this picture?

Verum audaces non gerunt indusia alba. - Ipsi dixit MCMLXXII
wagga #31320 05/10/13 06:21 PM
Nothing wrong with the picture, but the label "Vernal Falls" should be in the singular. Oh yeah its also placed at Nevada Fall.

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
saltydog #31322 05/10/13 06:40 PM
Originally Posted By: saltydog
Nothing wrong with the picture, but the label "Vernal Falls" should be in the singular. Oh yeah its also placed at Nevada Fall.

Got it!

SteveC should be in the Volt, headed Ohmward, with minimal resistance...

Verum audaces non gerunt indusia alba. - Ipsi dixit MCMLXXII
wagga #31326 05/10/13 09:01 PM
S
S
Made it home. Hardest part was driving home on 4 hours sleep.

I did a two-fer today: Clouds Rest, then Half Dome. Once my bones recover, I'll be ready for the R-2-R on Thursday.

"Ohmward." I like it.

Steve C #31327 05/10/13 11:02 PM
Watt a trip.

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard