I found these quotes about Mt. Everest. I found them interesting and thought you might too. Maybe we can come up with our own quotes for Mt. Whitney...of course we would want to start another thread named "Mt. Whitney Quotes". If you hear any good quotes about Mt. Whitney you would like to share please feel free to start the thread.

Quotes about Mt. Everest

But now that I was finally here, standing on the summit of Mount Everest, I just couldn't summon the energy to care. — Jon Krakauer

Wouldn't Mallory be pleased if he knew about this. — Sir Edmund Hillary, Descending in 1953

We will stomp to the top with the wind in our teeth. — George Mallory, 1924

Because it is there. — George Mallory (1886-1924), answer to the question: 'Why do you want to climb Mt. Everest?'

The highest of the world's mountains, it seems, has to make but a single gesture of magnificence to be the lord of all, vast in unchallenged and isolated supremacy. — George Mallory, 1924

Altitude is the great equalizer. — Anonymous

Hey, look, don't worry too much about me. — Rob Hall, his last words via satellite radio-phone to his pregnant wife in New Zealand

I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life. — Tenzing Norgay

We encourage young people to go out and exceed thier goals. Everest is an icon of that. — Neil Beidleman

I was in continual agony; I have never in my life been so tired as on the summit of Everest that day. I just sat and sat there, oblivious to everything.... — Reinhold Messner, 1980

I am nothing more than a single narrow gasping lung, floating over the mists and summits. — Reinhold Messner

Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous. — Reinhold Messner

I can't understand why men make all this fuss about Everest—it's only a mountain. — Junko Tabei

Technique and ability alone do not get you to the top; it is the willpower that is the most important. This willpower you cannot buy with money or be given by others...it rises from your heart. — Junko Tabei , 1975 after becoming the first woman to climb Everest

Don't forget it's really just a big pile of rocks. — David Breashears

We have founded a support group for Everest climbers called Everest Anonymous; members can call each other up for support when they're thinking about returning to the mountain. — David Breashears

Mountains don't kill people, they just sit there.... — Ed Viesturs

Getting to the summit is optional, getting down is mandatory. — Ed Viesturs

We agreed that this was going to be no ordinary climb. For the time being, Everest was rather more than a mountain. — John Hunt, leader of the '53 expedition

The wind is the appalling enemy. It is mind-destroying, physically-destroying, soul-destroying.... — Chris Bonnington, 1975

There was no more grass, no flowers, not even any moss: dusty granite blocks covered the ice and an occasional grinding groan reminded us that we were on a slow-moving glacier. — Chris Bonnington

We just lay on our bellies in the snow, gasping and immobile. — Peter Habeler, 1978, first oxygenless ascent [After] the Hillary Step...

The end of the ridge and the end of the world... then nothing but that clear, empty air. There was nowhere else to climb. I was standing on the top of the world.. — Stacy Allison, first American woman to summit Everest

I must make top, you know . I know want go up more but, is not possible to make sponsors if no success here. — Mark Batard, tried to reach summit in 24 hours

No one remembers who climbed Mount Everest the second time. — Na Nook

All the winds of Asia seemed to be trying to blow us from the ridge. — Peter Boardman, 1975, about the South Summit

You've climbed the highest mountain in the world. What's left? It's all downhill from there. You've got to set your sights on something higher than Everest. — Willi Unsoeld

You feel like you're one giant lung, as if breathing is all there is to life. — Mike Groom

Everest is a matter of universal of human endeavor, a cause from which there is no withdrawl, whatever loses it may demand. — G.O. Dyrenfurth

Everest for me, and I believe for the world, is the physical and symbolic manifestation of overcoming odds to achieve a dream. — Tom Whittaker

Lynnaroo