Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 228 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Yosemite prescribed burn
#31058 04/23/13 11:58 PM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
This posted by Yosemite National Park:

Quote:
Fire crews finished the Wawona Northwest prescribed fire last night, although some smoke may be present in the Wawona area for the next week or two. This prescribed fire improved forest health and reduced the risk of wildfire affecting Wawona. In this photo, you can see fire crews from Whiskeytown National Recreation Area, Point Reyes National Seashore, Sierra National Forest, North Lake Tahoe, and Yosemite National Park.

You can find more information about this fire at http://www.nps.gov/yose/blogs/Wawona-Northwest-Prescribed-Fire-Update.htm.

Re: Yosemite prescribed burn
Steve C #31063 04/24/13 12:43 PM
G
Woodsy Guy
Woodsy Guy
G
Notice how open those trees are spaced. Until prescribed fire was started by NPS in the late 60s in both Yosemite and Sequoia Kings, these forested areas were often impenetrable thickets of young white fir and other pines, a result of over 100 years of fire suppression. In addition, there was little successful Giant Sequoia reproduction in the Sequoia Groves.

Early explorers had written of being able to ride their horses through these areas which was not possible after decades of fire suppression. I was lucky enough to have as my college adviser Harold Biswell (aka Harold the Torch) who was one of the early advocates and researchers in fire ecology. This photo is a terrific example of the success of those efforts.

Thanks for the post.

g.

None of the views expressed here in any way represent those of the unidentified agency that I work for or, often, reality. It's just me, fired up by coffee and powerful prose.

Link Copied to Clipboard