Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 200 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Half Dome Question
#31435 05/21/13 09:39 AM
Bryan P Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok, I know this is a Whitney forum but I'll ask here anyways since it IS hiking related.

Having never hiked this before I have a few concerns...

my group and I have some permits to hike the cables of half dome for early june. The "problem" if you will, is that my fiance is unfortunately probably the only one in the group who will not be able to make the whole hike due to physical fitness ability. She wants to come as far as she can and then either wait for our return, (could be a LONG time as it is 16 miles total after all) or stop at some point and then turn around.

My apprehension is that if I go ahead and leave her behind, is the trail well traveled enough that she will not ever really be hiking alone? Are there sections that she could get turned around and get totally lost? Should I just suck it up and turn around with her and not make the whole trip?

What are your thoughts?

Come check out my weblog www.bryansoutdooradventures.blogspot.com and share your gear reviews, adventures, and trip reports!
Re: Half Dome Question
Bryan P #31437 05/21/13 10:06 AM
R
R
They issue a maximum of 300 permits a day so you will see lots of hikers all along the trail. And your fiance will likely not get lost. If she is unsure which direction to go at a trail junction she should not have to wait long for the advice of another hiker. If she can make it to the top of Nevada Falls the steepest part is over (aside from the cables). If she can continue from there up to the subdome she could wait for you there. There will be a Ranger there checking permits.

Bryan P #31440 05/21/13 11:11 AM
S
S
The tough part of hiking this trail with someone less able is that the heavy-duty climbing starts right away, so you will need to hang back with her. If your group hikes on ahead, you might ask them to wait at the top of Nevada Falls, or you could try to catch up at the top of the HD.

Depending on your GF's stamina, she could wait (a very long time) at the top of Vernal Falls, or Nevada Falls. Either place, she could wander around and enjoy the scenery and people-watch. Maybe take a comfy hikers chair for her to relax in, and a book. (Locate the restrooms at both areas.) Or, she could proceed to wander down the JMT back to the valley floor on her own pace. There will be quite a few other hikers, so she would not be alone. Just make sure she knows all of the trails (Mist Trail, JMT, and the Clark Point connector in between the JMT and the top of Vernal, and the stock trail that goes to Happy Isles on the S side of the river.) If she has a little map, and can read it comfortably, she should be just fine. Make sure you have a plan on specific places to wait and meet, and an alternate plan. Cell phones work in some of the places -- Top of Vernal, HD, etc. (but my Sprint service did not work last week).

Now a tip for you: Once you get to the cables, if you are comfortable, it is easier to hike up the cables on the right (outside), because the granite is less polished from so many hikers, and your shoes will grip better. Only drawback is that the stopping/rest points (little ledges) are less frequent than the wooden cross-members between cables. Also (this is important), go up withOUT gloves -- your hands will grip the cable better. Go down WITH gloves, so you can let the cable slide through your hands. Leather gloves are best to allow cable to slip.

Bryan P #31444 05/21/13 12:54 PM
E
E
One suggestion I have is taking the John Muir trail up instead of the mist trail. It is much easier on the knees because it is a gradual climb. This might help your fiance make it further up the trail. I think going up the mist trail will tire her out almost immediately. Hope this helps and good luck! Enjoy the hike it is AMAZING!

"If you're gonna be stupid, you've got to be tough."
ejsurfs #31446 05/21/13 02:04 PM
Bryan P Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks everyone!

What part of the JMT is closed due to rockfall again?

I think that taking it slow is the key, even though it is long, it seems like it throws the worst at you right away so thats always good.

Any more tips are appreciated.

Come check out my weblog www.bryansoutdooradventures.blogspot.com and share your gear reviews, adventures, and trip reports!
Bryan P #31449 05/21/13 03:14 PM
S
S
> What part of the JMT is closed due to rockfall again?

From the Yosemite N.P. "Daily Report":

Rockfall Closes Portion of John Muir Trail
Quote:
Due to a rockfall Saturday May 11, the John Muir Trail is currently closed from the junction with the Mist Trail (just above Vernal Fall footbridge) to Clark Point. The John Muir Trail remains open between Clark Point and Nevada Fall and can be accessed from the Mist Trail.

Clark point is the spot on the JMT below Nevada Falls, where that connector trail between the top of Vernal Falls joins.

Here's a map:

Steve C #31474 05/22/13 10:44 AM
Which means that everyone has to go up the Mist Trail to the top of Vernal, until the JMT opens up again. The Clark Point cutoff is a really nice variation: a little cooler than the upper half of the Mist to Nevada (as its on a north slope) and great views of both falls and the Valley.

Top of either Vernal or Nevada are great places to hang out. Probably more to see at Vernal, with the Emerald Pool, but once at the top of Nevada, it is an easy, almost flat stroll all the way to LYV campground, along the river, a lot of really nice spots to hang.

Tough to get lost in any of these spots: its like central park most nice days; there's even a bathroom at the top of Nevada. All the kids & city folk on the trail might even be an inspiration to go farther

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
saltydog #31477 05/22/13 11:01 AM
The Mist Trail is much steeper than the JMT, and there are sections of steps that are fairly high (over 10" steps), so this would be the most difficult part of the hike for your fiancée. If the JMT is open by the time of your hike I would certainly recommend using the JMT over the mist trail. Also, comming down the mist trail can be a test of your knees, so many folks (including myself) go up the mist trail, and down the JMT.

You might consider a "training" program for your fiancée. You do have a couple of weeks, and starting with shorter hikes, and building distance and climbing might prove easier than you might think. Even your feet will "get into shape" by walking, which will make the experience much more enjoyable. She should wear whatever shoes or boots your she intends to wear on the hike. Start now (if you have not already begun).

John Sims #31481 05/22/13 11:38 AM
Bryan P Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks again for all the tips guys. I have started her running with me and she is progessing with great success.

I think she will do fine knowing that once we get past the first steep section it is mostly flat(ish)

Thanks again guys and keep up the insight.

Bryan P #31484 05/22/13 01:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Bryan P

I think she will do fine knowing that once we get past the first steep section it is mostly flat(ish)

Uhhhhh. . . depends on what you take "the first steep section" to mean. If you mean the Mist to Vernal Fall, you should know that the next section - whether the rest of the Mist or the Clark Point connector, is anything but flat, or even flattish. On the Mist, it doesnt get flattish until Nevada Fall, and its all switchers to 1/2 mile or so above Clark Point before it flattens out.

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
Bryan P #31504 05/23/13 06:11 PM
Bryan, it seems to me that you are choosing to hike with your team, rather than with your "GF".
Have you already tried hiking with her?
How do you know that she would not be able to get to the top of HD?

Have you thought about starting with your GF a couple of hours ahead of your team and going slowly and steadily?
In this case she would get a better chance of reaching a sub-dome' and there she could make a decision whether to proceed further.

The most important is to maintain pace comfortable for her (not too fast).

Bryan P #31510 05/23/13 08:49 PM
Bee Offline
A fitness tip for a short term goal: LUNGES!

Those old fashioned, long strides that leaves you almost touching your back knee to the ground, whilst the front knee is bent. Begin these immediately -- adding more each session of everyother day. When I decided to do Whitney, I had not done any hiking that season -- about 2 1/2 weeks before the trip -- and my only fitness base was running. Running alone will not build the quad/knee strength/endurance that is required for elevation gain hikes like HD and Whitney. The lunges are the quickest way to acquire and add the muscles needed in such a short time (I breezed up the switchbacks with nary an ache)

Speaking of ache: there is no comparable ache to that of a pounding, steep downhill, so I vote for JMT, also.

Bee kind and understanding with your fiance, as she is to be your lifetime partner (who may save your butt someday)

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
Yury #31513 05/23/13 09:08 PM
Bryan P Offline OP
OP Offline
I do like the idea of starting earlier... I have already tried hiking with her and she has a hard time with the uphill.

I will make sure to go at her pace as mine is much much faster.

As for the fitness tip, she has started to do squats I will tell her about the lunges.

Bryan P #31525 05/24/13 10:55 AM
Originally Posted By: Bryan
I have already tried hiking with her and she has a hard time with the uphill.
No, she was not having a challenge with uphill. She was having a challenge with your hiking speed.

Do you understand what uphill hiking speed to maintain to make sure that your GF is able to move the whole day?

You can use your or her heart rate as an indicator or just a "talk test" (talking to her all day and making sure that she can comfortably talk without running out of breath on uphill portions of a hike).

Bryan P #31529 05/24/13 04:53 PM
J
J
From my perspective, stay with your fiance. Don't leave her behind. I've hiked Half Dome many times over the years. Its true that it is unlikely that someone will get lost. On the other hand it happens. There was a good example about a couple leaving the top of Whitney in the evening. She got ahead and went down the trail towards Crabtree Ranger Station instead of to Trail Camp and he went to Trail Camp. It took awhile for SAR to find her. Should not of happened, but did. Long time ago when I first tried Half Dome I underestimated my abilities. Went way to fast at the start and was tuckered out at the subdome. My girlfriend was just fine. Even though she wanted to summit and I said it was okay for her to do it she stayed with me and we turned around. Next year we summited together (she was still faster,but only by 5 minutes). It is a fantastic hike even if you don't summit. So just enjoy it. grin Good luck!

JimC #31530 05/24/13 05:13 PM
H
H
I have been up there several times and different types of partners, and not always to the top.

Here is what the experts say, applicable to ANY mountain, and applicable perhaps to you and/or your girlfriend.

You can't go for the summit because you feel obligated to. You have to do it because you're really motivated from inside, because you have your own personal reasons to do it.
Conrad Anker, The Lost Explorer page 145

Mountains are not a race track. In a race there can be only one winner. On a mountain everyone beyond a certain indefinite standard of ability and strength can reach the summit.
Nicholas Clinch, A Walk in the Sky page 5.

The slopes were much worse than the scenery was fine.
Charles Granville Bruce, Twenty Years in the Himalaya, page 120

Harvey Lankford #31531 05/24/13 05:31 PM
Harvey, I think you will enjoy the "Chronicles of Early Ascents of Half Dome".
Part I: Anderson's Years.

Many quotes for you to consider.

http://www.stanford.edu/~galic/history/halfdome/

John Sims #31541 05/26/13 07:03 AM
Hey Bryan,

Good luck on the trip. After all the hikes and climbs I've done, Half Dome is still my favorite. I've climbed it three times, all as dayhikes from Happy Isles.

As others have mentioned, start as early as you can, which not only will give you more time to ascend gradually and watch your pace, but will importantly get you in position to start up the cables when fewer people will be on the trail.

Read the book "Shattered Air" before you go:
http://www.amazon.com/Shattered-Air-Account-Catastrophe-Yosemites/dp/1580801420

If anyone in your group feels the cables are not for them, then you can always take a side trip up Clouds Rest which makes for a nice, less traveled alternative.

nyker #31546 05/26/13 09:27 PM
S
S
Hey Nyker, next time you come out, try what I did for my Grand Canyon crossing preparations: Clouds Rest plus Half Dome from Happy Isles. I took a cross-country route between the CR switchback at 8050' and the CR-HD saddle. Only minor bushwhacking, and once at the level saddle, go southwest (and climb slightly) and hit the HD trail in about 5 minutes.

Bryan P #31552 05/27/13 01:56 PM
I
I
An option you might take is starting from Glacier Point at an elevation of 7200 feet. Take the Panorama trail down Hill to Nevada falls. You will have an 800 ft. incline after Illioutte Falls. The falls are a great place to rest before the uphill. This leaves only the 2 last miles up hill. The Panorama Trail is not nearly as busy. It is mostly dirt, so easier on the knees too.
I took a party of 29 (divided into 1 party of 15 and 14) 4 years ago.
This included one kindergartner, 8 sixth graders and their parents.
Every one made it to the sub-dome and several did not train as they should. Four sixth graders made it to the top too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard