Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Walk-in campsites - Mosquito Flat & Horseshoe Meadows
#32402 07/26/13 12:06 PM
OP Offline
My trip is coming up next month and we are trying to hash out details of the days leading up to our hike.

Friday, we'd like to hike to Mono Pass from Mosquito Flat(8 miles round trip || ~4 hrs hiking time || ±2000' elevation), then spend the night at Mosquito Flats. Saturday night we want to stay at Cottonwood Lakes TH Campground, after hiking to the Cottonwood Lakes Basin (10 miles round trip || ~4 hrs hiking time || ±1100' elevation). Sunday morning we'll start our trip up the MWMT.

Do you think we have a good chance of securing campsites at these places or do we need a backup plan (reserving sites at Onion Valley, etc)?

Thanks!

Re: Walk-in campsites - Mosquito Flat & Horseshoe Meadows
63ChevyII.com #32406 07/26/13 02:02 PM
W
W
I have no first hand knowledge on Mosquito Flats, but you should have no problem at Horseshoe Meadow. There are actually 3 campground area at Horseshoe Meadow so if your preferred campground is full, there are 2 others. I've never seen it full, and I was there on Labor Day weekend a couple of years ago.

63ChevyII.com #32407 07/26/13 02:09 PM
B
B
Here you go:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/inyo/recreation/camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=20390&actid=29

Looks like one night only there; a walk-in close to the parking lot. Be advised: get to the parking lot really early (by 7 AM) in the morning to be assured of a space.

There are other campgrounds just down Rock Creek road from M/Flat. Check the same website I listed above. Good luck.

You will love Mono Pass; a real moonscape, but beautiful views. On your return from Mono Pass, don't forget the Pie-in-the-Sky Café near Rock Creek Lake; pie to die for. Seriously.

Last edited by Bob West; 07/26/13 02:15 PM.
63ChevyII.com #32408 07/26/13 02:10 PM
S
S
I am not sure, but I think there are only a few sites at Mosquito Flat, so it isn't a sure thing there. But in the past, I have slept in or beside my car in the parking lot.

Edit: thanks to Bob's post above, with ten non-reservable one-night spots, it would seem like you should be able to get one of them.

Last edited by Steve C; 07/26/13 02:11 PM.
Bob West #32410 07/26/13 02:41 PM
OP Offline
Thanks for the info everyone. We saw the mosquito flat campground last year when we drove up there to go to Pie in the Sky Cafe. It was raining, so it was empty, but we thought that'd be a great place to stay sometime.

Odd question, but as far as 'claiming' a campsite, what do you do? Set up your tent, then go for your hike? HM is a pay site, so I assume you fill out some paperwork or something, but Mosquito Flat is free.

Is it fine to setup multiple tents on one site? I know Onion Valley has a limit of 6 people per site, but I don't see any restrictions on Mosquito Flat or Cottonwood. Does 'single unit/site' mean 1 tent per campsite?

wazzu #32412 07/26/13 04:48 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: wazzu
I have no first hand knowledge on Mosquito Flats, but you should have no problem at Horseshoe Meadow. There are actually 3 campground area at Horseshoe Meadow so if your preferred campground is full, there are 2 others. I've never seen it full, and I was there on Labor Day weekend a couple of years ago.

Wazzu, is there a map/website showing where all of the different campgounds are?

63ChevyII.com #32413 07/26/13 05:34 PM
W
W
Here's a link that gives some detail. One of the campgrounds along with the stock campground is closer to the Cottonwood Lakes TH and the other is close to the Cottonwood Pass TH.

Not hard to find, if you arrive during daylight hours. All the campsites are walk-in. Meaning you will park in the parking lot and haul your gear to a site. All the sites have a established tent-pad. Although I have seen tents set-up off the tent pads.

Find an empty tent pad, put your gear down and go to the pay station to pay for the site. There are bear boxes & fire rings near the tent pads

Bob West #32446 07/27/13 06:30 PM
W
W
I've stayed at Mosquito Flat once...about this time of year. We came in on a Friday night and did not have a problem finding a spot. Finding a parking spot can be and issue here...not quite as bad as South Lake.

If you have not been to this area previously, I would suggest you forego Mono Pass and hike out to Morgan Pass. The Little Lake Valley, though crowded, is a delightful treat.

wbtravis #32454 07/28/13 08:31 AM
B
B
Yep, you're right. Morgan pass is a lot lower than Mono pass, and an easier hike. Besides, less than a mile on the other side of Morgan pass, at Morgan Lakes, there are some beautiful, seldom used camp sites.

63ChevyII.com #32520 07/31/13 10:03 AM
J
J
I can speak for HM/Cottonwood TH campsites (they are both in the same location) and they are first come first serve basis. I've been there a number of times and have seen the lot almost full with vehicles once during the peak season but there were plenty of sites open. I've also seen plenty of folks sleeping in their vehicles as well, which I've heard is free but don't quote me on that one. There's a $6 fee and a one night limit - pretty basic and seems to be the honor system because in my times there I have never seen a ranger or camp host checking. If it was me I wouldn't worry about getting a site or having a backup.

"Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying" Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption
John P. #32606 08/07/13 09:11 AM
OP Offline
Thanks for the info everyone.

We are planning on doing the Little Lake Valley hike instead of Mono Pass - thanks for the suggestion! Is this an accurate description of the hike? http://www.everytrail.com/guide/little-lakes-valley

Mosquito Flat - Does anyone know if there are bear lockers there? Looking at the website and google maps, I can't tell for sure. I thought I could see them, but I realize that what I am seeing is most likely picnic tables: http://goo.gl/maps/UtxI4

63ChevyII.com #32615 08/07/13 12:44 PM
K
K
Yes, there are bear lockers at the trail head. Make sure you arrive early in the morning. It is a very popular trailhead, and when the parking lot fills, you might have a bit of a walk after finally finding a parking spot down the road. This is one of my fave hikes...it's just beautiful!

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. John Muir
Kandy #32844 08/22/13 11:24 AM
OP Offline
Thanks for suggesting the Morgan Pass/Little Lakes Valley hike. It was AMAZING and my favorite part of the trip!

Something that surprised us was the need for a backcountry permit in order to stay at MF Campground. There is a sign at the campground that makes this very clear. Online I had read that a permit was needed for 'overnight travel.' I mistakenly interpreted this to mean that we could stay at the campground without one, like you can at Horseshoe Meadows / Cottonwood Lakes. We had several people tell us we could stay at MF, but finally tracked down someone from the forest service to get the right answer.

Link Copied to Clipboard