A
Arne Offline OP
OP Offline
A
If I want to spend around $200 for a jacket that will-

1. act as windbreaker
2. not be to heavy
3. be waterproof
4. good for the cold mountain nights(down to say 20 degrees)
5. easy to move around in and easy to use with a backpack

what should I be looking for?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Arne

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans". John Lennon
Re: Jackets
Arne #3274 03/27/10 05:13 PM
W
W
You will need more than one jacket and have a bigger budget.

In the 3 seasons, I use 3 jackets to accomplish that. Marmot DriClime Windshirt, Marmot PreCip Jacket and Feathered Friends Hyperion Jacket...and I'm in the tent when it gets to 35 to 40 F.

In the 4th Season it's a Moonstone PacLite Shell, ArcTeryx Gamma MX Hoody and Patagonia R2 Vest and Moonstone Ober Down Parka. Throw in a couple of warm Nalgenes and I've I been know to sit out at night below freezing in the dead of winter.

I, for one, want to be able to handle the wide range of temperatures the day hands you. To do that you will need more than one jacket. All I had on today while hiking in sub 20 wind chill was the R2 vest.

I have hiked with either of my down jackets twice in about 6 years. One of those days was a 10 F September day on Mt. Whitney.

wbtravis #3275 03/27/10 05:54 PM
Bee Offline
The Marmot Precip is a great place to start. As I have mentioned in the past, I used it by itself in the early autumn, over the Patagonia R3 in late autumn, Over the North Face Windwall 1 vest in early/mid spring/Summer. However, the two "holes" in the uses for this jacket based on your request, are 1) cold weather winter use 2) lt wt breathability warm weather. For the warm season mid altitude (9,000ft) I use a wind shirt/windbreaker over my NF vest (Patagonia Alpine windbreaker)In the winter...well...if I DID overnight in the winter, I would carry my puffy down jacket for the evenings/stops -- the weight-to-warmth ratio is better than the heavyweight fleece-with-shell that would be required (btw, I STILL carry the Precip during winter; its the insulation layer that changes, and I also carry my NF vest for daytime use with the Precip jacket -- I never have been able to do any activity with a down jacket on.)

b

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
Arne #3276 03/27/10 06:49 PM
J
J
I use a Montbell Alpine down jacket ($175). It's pretty light at 19oz. and very warm (used it down to 20 degrees). It compresses down to around the size of a nalgene (maybe a tad bigger). The downside is it isn't waterproof or windproof but getting what you want for less than $200 is a real tall order. Combine this jacket with a breathable shell (mine is an Arcteryx Alpha SV, although pretty pricey) and you've got a pretty versatile system.

"Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying" Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Link Copied to Clipboard