Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 241 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
TR: High Sierra Trail 8/30-9/5 (with Trail Photos)
#33133 09/07/13 10:07 PM
Akichow Offline OP
OP Offline
Forest fires, temporary trail closures, and daunting transportation logistics, all threatened this trip, yet it turned out to be one of the best 7 days ever.

The sunrises, sunsets, and generally changing light conditions were enthralling (particularly at Precipice Lake and on the backside of Whitney). Another huge highlight: the folks I met on the trail quickly gelled into a warm and fun trail family. I did this solo (a first in so many respects), and there were definite advantages, including easier to meet folks, and more flexibility to choose or change my schedule, which I did a lot, largely due to the unsettled weather. Finishing the trip with breakfast with Doug and some of my trail family at the Portal, and dinner later that day with Doug, Earlene, Maura, and Ava, made this trip special beyond any expectations. The best ending possible to the best trip possible.

Some quick stats: 70+ miles hiked over 7 days (all but 3 miles hiked in six days though). My altimeter says 16,673 feet of cumulative gain, but I think that the weather changes may have confused it -- probably closer to 15,000 feet.

Click here to see the "Un-Report" -- the mildly tongue-in-cheek report I did of the logistics aspect of an HST thru hike. Total trip mileage, per my "Un-report," including transport to THs and back, was just shy of 1000 miles, but I didn't drive a single inch of that -- all mass transit of every form except boats.

Onto the pictures....

Day 1 (August 30): 11 miles, Crescent Meadow to Bearpaw campground

Hiking toward the Great Western Divide. The folks ahead of me ended up becoming the core of my trail family -- really sweet guys from the U.K. via Australia -- we finished together.

Day 2 (August 31): 7 miles to Precipice Lake

The original plan had been to hike to Big Arroyo. But, as I left Hamilton Lake for Precipice, I became concerned about the clouds building over the Kaweah Gap. And, I have been intrigued about Precipice Lake since seeking Laura's (Moosetracks) amazing photo from a year or so ago. So, I ended up camping at Precipice instead, which meant that I was treated to the changing colors of the lake. That evening, there was indeed a heck of a (silent) light show over the Kaweah Gap, although I gather the actual lightning was hitting Lone Pine 30-40 miles away.

Amazing trail work leading up to Lone Pine Creek crossing.

Even more amazing trail work leading up to Precipice Lake.

Afternoon light (overcast) at Precipice Lake

Evening light at Precipice Lake (the sunset was on the anemic side due to smoke in the distance, but still some nice reflected color)

Day 3 (September 1): 17.8 miles to Kern Hot Springs via Moraine Lake

On Laura's and Hiking Jim's advice, I was interested in spending a night at Kern Hot Springs. However, I'd lost some mileage due to my decision not to cross the gap the day before. This made for an epic (for me) day, both exhausting and exhilarating.

Morning light at Precipice Lake

Climbing up to the Kaweah Gap (looking back from whence I came)

Big Arroyo

Ferns

Unsettled weather, climbing up the North Wall of the Big Arroyo

Mt. Kaweah and Sky Parlour Meadow

Fire still burning on the switchbacks descending to the Kern Trench from the Chagoopah Plateau. Mostly, there were just smoldering logs, but I did see this tree with open flame. This section of the HSt had been closed for a few days prior to my trip.

At last! Kern Hot Springs! Aaahhhhh!

Day 4 (September 2): 7.5 miles to Junction Meadow

This was a pretty, and easy, hike up Kern Canyon. Almost a rest day.

Day 5 (September 3): 10 miles to campsite above Timberline Lake (below Guitar Lake)

The weather was still unsettled, and getting more dramatic. This was a day of rain and hail, with thunder in the distance.

Looking West toward Colby Pass on the ascent of Wallace Creek

Backside of Whitney, after the storm cleared

This deer was not too shy to do her business in plain view

Reflected sunset

Day 6 (September 4): 13 miles to Whitney Summit and down to Outpost Camp

I had planned originally to get a late start and sleep on the summit of Whitney (and potentially had recruited one of my trail family to that endeavor). However, when I peeked out of my tent at 2:30 a.m. and saw clouds, I figured I was better off getting, out, and over as soon as possible, rather than risk being marooned on the West side of Whitney by lightning strikes along the ridge. The lightning never materialized on Day 6(despite the threatening weather), but I was treated to a sunrise high on Whitney, so once again, all was for the best.

Sunrise on Whitney

Sunrise from a "window"

Hitchcock Lakes at sunrise

Looking south

Summit approach

Clouds on the summit. It was REALLY COLD (it got warmer and clearer later). I was warm enough hiking in two layers of merino wool, plus a down sweater, plus a wind/rain jacket. Folks I saw with less were shivering.

An REI Adventures group makes their way up to the summit.

Starting to clear...

Cables were 100 percent ice free.

Consultation Lake was an impossible hue of blue. Simply lovely.

Day 7 (September 5): 3 miles to Portal.

Day 8 (September 6): the long ride(s) home.

Whitney gives a farewell light show.

Re: TR: High Sierra Trail 8/30-9/5 (with Trail Photos)
Akichow #33135 09/07/13 10:34 PM
S
S
Nice report, Karin. If I ever get back on that trail, I'll have to stay overnight at Precipice, too. Your pictures of the lake are quite good.

I have started wondering why Consultation Lake seems to have a more aqua color, like that of a glacial melt lake, than other alpine lakes.

Akichow #33141 09/08/13 07:44 AM
R
R
Awesome report and photos! I'm glad you were able to make the trip. Looks like and awesome time. Precipice lake is on my list of places I need to go.

Akichow #33143 09/08/13 10:42 AM
K
K
Akichow:
Thanks for a great TR! I am just planning to do this next summer with my cousin and friend Bruce!
Krishna

Krishna #33145 09/08/13 03:46 PM
Way to stick to your guns and git' 'er dun, Karin! So happy you got to hang out with Precipice Lake and the Hot Spring. I might be headed to the Big Arroyo in 2 weeks, HOPING!!

So happy it all came together for you!

Cheers,
L

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.

Link Copied to Clipboard