I never would have fathomed even in my dreams that i would hike canyon in mid 80's during August/early Sept. Yes both days high's were in mid 80's, lucky us and it turned out to be an awesome pleasant trip, surprisingly
We (group of six) were greeted with rain and thunderstorms when entered SR park entrance on Aug 30th. In fact, was worried the trip would fall through due to weather, after almost an year of planning went into it, but things favored us as you can see from the pictures link below.
Summary on our trip itinerary and logistics --
1. Aug 29th, SJC to LAS (southwest), stayed in Vegas for the night
2. Aug 30th, Vegas to SR (Rental Van), parked car in backcountry parking lot (Just opp. to Bright Angel Lodge), took TransCanyon Shuttle to NR
3. Stayed at Canyon Lodge in NR for the night and hiked out next morning, Aug 31st.
4. Stayed at Phantom Ranch for the night, had their healthy dinner and next day early AM breakfast and left for SR via BA trail.
5. Sept 1st, stayed at BA Lodge for the night and left early AM to Vegas to catch our flight back to SJC.
Highlight of the trip being the food at Canyon lodge, NR. Anything you would order from their menu was super delicious. Never expected the quality of food to be that high, especially places like NR where visitors is much lesser than SR. Also their cabins were great for staying especially with families.
Second, would be Ribbon Falls, our stay in phantom ranch totally different experience all together, of course the spectacular views of the canyon throughout the hike.
For those who don't know this already, at NR, deli shop opens at 5.30am and serve hot burritos for take out on the trail. Though we were prepared, this option tempted us to skip our pre-packaged food for BF and use the deli instead
Here are some pictures from the trip.https://plus.google.com/photos/110878557...=COyJzMvL043pBA