Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Is permit office open if government is "shutdown" ?
DAN B. #33562 10/01/13 04:31 PM
S
S
Originally Posted By: DAN B.
Is there the possibility that the Portal Road will be closed the weekend? Hiking without a permit is one thing but the additional mileage up the road is a concern.
Per a conversation with the Portal Store employee, the road is currently open but does the Fed have the capability to deny access to the Portal parking lot?

Talk about the last thing I thought I would have to plan for in doing this hike

Dan, Whitney Portal Road is an Inyo County road, maintained by the county, and patrolled by the CHP (Calif Highway Patrol). Inyo National Forest administers the forest and the wilderness, but not the roadway.

Dan Georgiades #33565 10/01/13 07:15 PM
C
C
Originally Posted By: Dan Georgiades
I've gone through all the red tape, had my permit since April, and took the time off of work for my trip planned for tomorrow through Friday... I'm climbing that mountain.

I'm with you on this one...took time off work...booked my permits....booked my rental car...trained for 3 months...spent many many sleepless nights planning and planning....

I'M CLIMBING THAT MOUNTAIN TOO ON OCT 3RD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PERMIT OR NO PERMIT!!!!!!!!

cloud9 #33567 10/01/13 07:42 PM
Originally Posted By: cloud9
I've gone through all the red tape, had my permit since April, and took the time off of work for my trip planned for tomorrow through Friday... I'm climbing that mountain.

I'm with you on this one...took time off work...booked my permits....booked my rental car...trained for 3 months...spent many many sleepless nights planning and planning....

I'M CLIMBING THAT MOUNTAIN TOO ON OCT 3RD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PERMIT OR NO PERMIT!!!!!!!!

Gee... if it was a weather event that interrupted hiking, would y'all be stomping and waving around the same way?

Bee: where IS that eye roll emoticon??

While it obviously sucks, no matter how you look at it, I think there are more important things to worry about than "Do I get a shot at the tallest walk in the US?" Maybe put some of that energy into calling your Representative/Senator and try to express an educated opinion/constructive ideas about the bigger picture.

Last edited by Bee; 10/01/13 09:28 PM. Reason: eye roll as requested :)

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #33568 10/01/13 07:58 PM
C
C
Originally Posted By: MooseTracks
Originally Posted By: cloud9

Gee... if it was a weather event that interrupted hiking, would y'all be stomping and waving around the same way?

Bee: where IS that eye roll emoticon??

While it obviously sucks, no matter how you look at it, I think there are more important things to worry about than "Do I get a shot at the tallest walk in the US?" Maybe put some of that energy into calling your Representative/Senator and try to express an educated opinion/constructive ideas about the bigger picture.

come on... you really can't compare an act of nature to an act of stupidity...i'd be fine if the weather changed for the worst...

yea..where is that roll eye icon...

Last edited by Bee; 10/01/13 09:30 PM. Reason: eye roll as requested :)
cloud9 #33569 10/01/13 08:13 PM
Actually, with as many acts of stupidity (usually based on summit fever) that I see due to weather, yeah, I *can* draw the comparison.

Attitude is attitude is attitude.

As I said, the closure is due to pompous asses (on both sides!) who would rather spew meaningless talking points rather than really attempt to hash this out in a timely fashion. And that's all I really have to say politically on the matter.

So, fare thee well, cloud9. Hope you come back after your walk and perhaps explore the expanses the rest of the Sierra has to offer, instead of limiting your scope to simply the tallest.

(Maybe you already have. This *is* the internet, and I have no idea who you are.)

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
cloud9 #33571 10/02/13 03:34 AM
B
B
Well, Cloud9, I hope you make it to the top of one of the biggest ego-booster hikes in the U.S. Please, it is not a climb, it's a hike. A long hike, but still a hike that thousands have done, even little kids and old ladies. A climb is much more difficult - ever done one?

So get on with your big adventure, and remember that no one will be watching or caring.

MooseTracks #33572 10/02/13 03:43 AM
B
B
yep. In total agreement here. Two things continue to baffle me:

1. The obsessing about Mt. Whitney. I suppose it's an ego-boosting deal for some people. Yes, there are much bigger challenges in the Sierras that most Whitney hikers (yes, hikers, not climbers) would never consider.

2. The Ship of Fools running our government: two egocentric groups, Republican and Democrat, that can't see that their power struggle is ruining this country.

Bob West #33575 10/02/13 06:23 AM
This forum needs a hide button so I don't have to see posts from some people ever again.

Steve C #33576 10/02/13 07:26 AM
crazy confused sick

Bob West #33579 10/02/13 09:34 AM
T
TJM Offline
T
What's with the attitude? Whitney may not be the hardest climb in the Sierra, but why would you go out of your way to crap on a guy who is showing some enthusiasm for making a climb that he has probably been planning for months?

He never said he was going to get to the summit even in a lightning storm, he just said he wasn't going to let beaurocracy stand in the way if attempting it, especially considering the red tape one has to go through in order to even be able to attempt the main trail.

Congratulations if you've done harder mountains. But why pooh-pooh someone else for whom this might be the biggest trip of their lives?

Fishmonger #33580 10/02/13 09:37 AM
T
TJM Offline
T
Go to their profile and click "Hide This User"

Steve C #33581 10/02/13 09:41 AM
Bee Offline
WIth all the discussions about permits, roads, rangers, mountains & molehills, as Bob R posted on the WPSMB(I don't think they will mind my borrowing the post), there are other issues at hand:

"With all the discussion about the effects of the shutdown on hiking plans, there is one question I haven't seen addressed: What if someone becomes injured, ill, lost, or worse?

Last weekend, for example, there were three brown shirts in the Whitney area. It didn't happen, but several times in the past I've been at Trail Camp when a hiker came over to report someone ill or injured near Trail Crest. Grabbing my radio, I've hiked up to the scene. If it's minor, a little first aid and assistance may do the trick, but often larger guns are needed. With the radio, other rangers in the area can be informed, helicopters can be readied, volunteer mountain rescue teams from Inyo and China Lake can start getting ready for the drive up and hike in. Most problems are resolved by the next day.

Fast forward to the coming weekend. Assuming the shutdown persists, there will be no brown shirts or radios in the wilderness. In case of a problem you will have to rely on someone hiking out. Maybe you will be lucky with early cell phone coverage, but help cannot come quickly. And until someone arrives on scene who can accurately assess the situation and report it appropriately, SAR resources will not be launched.

The point is, you can count on at least a 24-hour delay in getting help. In some cases (e.g., serious injury or HACE/HAPE or getting lost) it won't be the hospital they'll be taking you to.

Bottom line: For the time being, you're pretty much on your own, like in the old days. Please be careful out there."

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
MooseTracks #33582 10/02/13 10:28 AM
R
R
I'm schedule for October 5th. I went last year..quite an amazing experience. It is a very challenging hike, especially if you do it in one day. I would be concerned about the 'lack of services' if you get sick or injure yourself. In any event, I wish you the best of luck.

cloud9 #33583 10/02/13 11:15 AM
B
B
Cloud9, have a great hike. Be self-reliant and make choices that will keep you that way. You are usually on your own up there this time of year, but a little more so now that we have furloughed some very hard working, poorly paid rangers who grace the area. This is about the time of year that you might see them hiking out from Crabtree to shut down the joint.

I think I understand the excitement. For me, planning, pouring over maps, gathering beta and practicing are like pre-Christmas days. I love the anticipation. Just keep summit fever in check, recognizing that the mountain will always be there.

Brent N

Bee #33584 10/02/13 12:34 PM
D
DUG Offline
D

JimC #33585 10/02/13 01:43 PM
Does anyone know anything about Horseshoe Meadows Road up to Cottonwood Lakes? Is the road closed?

Thanks,
Chad

Brent N #33587 10/02/13 06:23 PM
H
H
Originally Posted By: Brent N
Just keep summit fever in check, recognizing that the mountain will always be there.

the mountain WILL always be there, but will our government?

TJM #33589 10/02/13 08:19 PM
Originally Posted By: TJM
What's with the attitude? Whitney may not be the hardest climb in the Sierra, but why would you go out of your way to crap on a guy who is showing some enthusiasm for making a climb that he has probably been planning for months?

He never said he was going to get to the summit even in a lightning storm, he just said he wasn't going to let beaurocracy stand in the way if attempting it, especially considering the red tape one has to go through in order to even be able to attempt the main trail.

Congratulations if you've done harder mountains. But why pooh-pooh someone else for whom this might be the biggest trip of their lives?

Not really crapping, but tongue in cheek for sure. (Bee, do we have *that* emoticon??) I didn't read it as simply enthusiasm, but more someone who is hell-bent to get to the top because "I did all the work, dammitol, and nothing will stop me now!" (I'm not really quoting anyone or anything here, just using it as an illustration) Bob wrote it up much more eloquently than I, fo shizzle. I think of all the training I've done, time spent in planning, etc, and then been completely skunked due to one factor or another.

You can't deny that the blinders-on attitude is pervasive when it comes to The Blonde, and even the most recently expressed sentiment of having more reliable cell service in the area (g-d help us)speaks to the general ignorance of a good deal of people heading up and away these days. Training away from the mountain is just one piece of the puzzle. Do people have contingency plans should the shit hit the fan? Who are you climbing/hiking with? Do they have any inkling of what to do in case you go down? Are you willing, despite the months of training/dedication/booked flights/booked cars/etc to turn around for whatever reason presents itself?

I don't care if you're on Whitney, or any other area of the Sierra (or anywhere else wilderness-wise, for that matter), the level of enthusiasm needs to be equally balanced with sound judgement.

So, go, climb your mountains, have FUN, gol-dangit. But don't forget to take care of the place you're in: Leave No Trace, respect the mountains and the wilderness, help someone else out who might need it back there. If the USFS and NPS can't be around to help, we need to police ourselves.

Last edited by Bee; 10/02/13 08:53 PM. Reason: closest I could get to tongue in cheek (there is a sarcasm sign!)

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
Bob West #33590 10/02/13 09:21 PM
R
R
I too find things baffling. I discovered this forum while preparing to hike Mt Whitney. It seems many first timers also find the information posted here invaluable and appreciate the knowledge, wisdom, experience, and sometimes wit of the helpful patient Whitney veterans. I am a huge fan of several regular posters here who have the opportunity to hike (and climb) often. What causes such highly regarded mountaineers to belittle a fellow hiker? Perhaps "ego-boost.." and self esteem are factors.

RenoFrank #33591 10/02/13 09:55 PM
B
B
Perhaps the more experienced mountaineers are just eager to share their knowledge and experience with new climbers out of a desire to be helpful; not out of some needed boost to their egos and self-esteem.

I was not trying to be-little Cloud9, crap on him, or anyone else in this forum by my comments. Often advice and criticism given in good faith can be received with open hostility.

This is one of the problems of forums like this, where the majority of posters are completely anonymous. We don't really know much about them, and can only make general assumptions. The few posters whose real names are open information run the risk of being unjustly criticized as being elitist. If we were all sitting in the same physical room, having a discussion with people we know outside of virtual space, the level of understanding of the others motives would probably be much higher.

I have asked Steve, if he has the ability to do so, to remove my permission to post here, because it has become a source of irritation for me. I'm tired of being tempted to jump in where I may not be wanted. But that's my problem. I don't have a problem with anyone on this forum - how could I since I've never had face-to-face contact with 99% of posters, and really don't know who most of you are!

Last edited by Bob West; 10/02/13 09:57 PM.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard