Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mountaineers Route Info
#3293 03/29/10 01:39 PM
OP Offline
Can anybody point me to the best resource for the Mountaineers Route? Book, Video, YouTube?

I have hiked the main trail before, but am not as confident about the MR. As a first timer I would appreciate any advice. My plans are for Mid Sept.

Descriptions about any problems I would face, what I need to bring....if it's more than a one day trip, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Joe

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier
Re: Mountaineers Route Info
quillansculpture #3302 03/29/10 09:45 PM
S
S
For starters you can look through all the links in this thread:

Mountaineer's Route links

Lots of people do it as a day hike. If you want to break it up, Upper Boy Scout Lake is a good place to camp. Not as high as Iceberg Lake, so a little less altitude issues, but certainly close enough to make the summit the next day.

You need main trail day hike permits to dayhike the MR. You need a North Fork overnight permit (NOT part of the lottery) to camp overnight.

About the biggest issue for MR hikers is unfamiliarity with the route. If you study the info in the links, you might be knowledgeable enough to make it the first trip.

Steve C #3352 04/01/10 01:48 PM
M
M
Q, nice to hear from you! good luck on this one in the summer. The permit will be your toughest issue, as you
are also fighting people trying to do Russell for those elusive 10 tickets. I got lucky last year, midweek I tried
to pick up a day permit on Thur to depart on early fri am, and of course even though I was in line early, no luck,
however I asked for an overnight permit (for that day, Thur) and got one! Packed my sleeping bag and departed.

Originally Posted By: Steve C

If you want to break it up, Upper Boy Scout Lake is a good place to camp. Not as high as Iceberg Lake, so a little less altitude issues, but certainly close enough to make the summit the next day.

should be no problem from UBSL. I usually camp on the ridge 300' elev above there in the WINTER, and summit
and then return to same.

Mark

"Fetchez la vache." the French Knight

melville1955 #3359 04/01/10 06:08 PM
W
W
If you have winter skills, it really a good time head up the NF to E-Ledges so you can get a really good look at them. We did it a few years ago in preparation to a trip we going to do the following summer.

wbtravis #3362 04/01/10 06:48 PM
OP Offline
I've been looking at YouTube videos of the E-Ledges. They scare the crap out of me! The rest of the trip doesn't look horribly bad (at least on video). I don't mind climbing, scrambling, etc, and I would be planning on doing the loop.....NOT back down the MR. In July, I'm going to take a closer look at those ledges.

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier
quillansculpture #3363 04/01/10 07:06 PM
Bee Offline
Originally Posted By: quillansculpture
I've been looking at YouTube videos of the E-Ledges. They scare the crap out of me! The rest of the trip doesn't look horribly bad (at least on video). I don't mind climbing, scrambling, etc, and I would be planning on doing the loop.....NOT back down the MR. In July, I'm going to take a closer look at those ledges.

QS,

I did the E-Ledges in October, and honest, the pictures, videos, etc. exaggerate the fear-factor. I am not sure if you are going to be wearing a big pack, however, I had on a day pack and I never once felt unstable or at risk, and trust me, my experience is far and away less than yours. I can even email you some pictures that will show you that they are plenty wide enough to feel comfortable.

B

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
quillansculpture #3366 04/01/10 07:28 PM
Rod Offline
I am definately kindred spirit with you Joe. The pictures and videos of the E-ledges scare the crap out of me too.Until I am there to actually see it and feel completely safe I would have to be roped or have a rope rail to hang on to to even consider it.The e-ledges and the final 400 are huge hangs ups and deterents to keep me fom the MR.When I do the MR, and I will do it, I will have to be with some seriously experienced people or just plan to do it with Kurt's SMI.

Bee you have some brass ovaries and once again I am impressed with your fearless approach to all things MW.You did the E-ledges and said it is no big deal. Double wow.

Last edited by Rod; 04/01/10 07:31 PM.
Rod #3368 04/01/10 08:09 PM
Bee Offline
Please don't think that I am being cavalier, guys. I have always hated that sort of personality type who says "Look, Ma -- no hands!!" I, too, had my reservations when I heard & saw pics of the E-ledges before I actually ventured on them. When I actually arrived at the magical spot, it was kind of like "THIS is it??" (you can ask Doug, Sr., about it -- I actually SAID that out loud. The way that the ledges are set up, it is almost like a little trail has been cut out. It would only be fair to say that I was with a person -- Doug Sr -- who would make anything seem like a stroll in the park. Also, also...I felt that descending the Ledges was easier than going up them. I am not sure if this is an overall consensus, but that was my impression.

I DO have a healthy fear factor (I am not great at bouldering) however, I will re-state that the E-ledges are a rock solid route.

B

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.

Link Copied to Clipboard