Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Remembering when (for the over-50 crowd!)
Steve C #3383 04/02/10 01:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Steve C
I wouldn't know anything about all of the above, since I'm only 38. smirk

Hmmmmmm . . . Steve, maybe you're the "kid" Gary's talking about . . .

Bulldog34 #3384 04/02/10 01:39 PM
+ @ti2d Offline OP
OP Offline
Steve C ain't no 38 Special!

He's 28! whistle

Journey well...
+ @ti2d #3385 04/02/10 01:49 PM
Originally Posted By: + @ti2d
Speaking of under the hood, I remember seeing an engine and being able to change the oil, air, spark plugs. Carburetor! Now, there's a word googling for!

And you had to gap the plugs and set the points in the distributor - needed a big-ass Chilton's manual for that too! I got my driver's license and first car in 1973 - just in time for the Arab Oil Embargo to double the price of gas (all the way to 70 cents a gallon). New license, my first car, and I couldn't afford to drive it around the flippin' block.

And nobody except the well-to-do flew anywhere for vacation. It was always a long drive somewhere, usually in mid-summer with the 4-port A/C going full blast (windows, for you young whippersnappers). And all the exits didn't have gas/food/lodging like now - sometimes you had to drive a long, long way between gas stations and eats. You always had a packed picnic basket in the car going to/from. And lest we forget, the Interstate freeway system was just getting started at that point. Most long car trips - at least through the mid-60s - were on state or US highways.

My dad had this thing for Daytona Beach - every damn year, twice a year (4th of July, Labor Day), we would drive down to Daytona and do the same exact crap each time. That went on for 13 straight years. I've deliberately not set foot in Daytona for over 35 years now. One cool thing came out of it though - in 1969 we were there for the Apollo 11 launch. We drove out to Cocoa Beach and watched it from about two miles away. By far the loudest, most spectacular thing I've ever seen. It was deafening, even that far away. Seeing Deep Purple live was loud, but didn't come close to this. We got back home to Atlanta in time to see Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon. That was absurdly cool.

Oh yeah - Captain Kangaroo, Have Gun Will Travel, Gidget, Bozo the Clown, Prudential of Omaha's Wild Kingdom with Marlon Perkins, Saturday double-feature matinees at the theatre, and drive-ins - I loved drive-ins! I bet every town in America had a "Starlight" Drive-In at some point.

Comic books were 10 cents and there was only one kind of Coke. You were a kid and wanted to go somewhere, you got on your one-speed bike and pedaled there. Hugh Heffner was the only one who used the term "playdates".

And if you went to a national park that had bears, they had garbage dumps near the main road to attract them so tourists could gawk and take pictures. Or feed them through a cracked window. My, my, how times have changed.

Groovy, dig-it, outta sight, neat-o, copacetic, later gator, bee's knees . . .

Last edited by Bulldog34; 04/02/10 02:28 PM. Reason: Remembered a few things
KevinR #3386 04/02/10 01:55 PM
Rod Offline
Can't forget 'What time is it kids?"
response "It's Howdy Dowdy Time"

Rod #3389 04/02/10 04:13 PM
I could never figure out if Howdy Doody looked like Alfred E. Neuman or vice-versa.

Coupl'a more thoughts:

The crossover phenom is old hat - we used to call them family station wagons. Cars were big and lanes were wide. You didn't park your car in the garage, you parked it in the carport. Leather wasn't an option on a pick-up truck, and your vehicle damn well didn't talk back to you or tell you where to go.

Recycling meant returning your glass soda bottles for the 5-cent deposit, not organizing your trash six different ways at additional expense. "Green" was what was in your wallet or yard, not your politics or philosophy. When you were a kid short on cash, you spent the morning combing the streets for discarded soda bottles to redeem for the deposit. Then the surly guy behind the counter would try to gyp you out of half of them because they had little chips. I really hated that guy . . .

Telephones made . . . phone calls. And only phone calls. And you usually did it on a clickety-click rotary dial. Even in that thing called a phone booth - I think it's in the Smithsonian now. And remember the exchange call-words - like, "my number is Drake-8, 8108"?

There used to be two types of guys in the world - the Gilligan Test. You were either a Mary Ann kinda guy or a Ginger kinda guy. Now I guess Gilligan and the Professor are in play. I'd prefer to never meet the Skipper kinda guy . . .

Men didn't drink wine, and Schlitz and PBR were "premium" beers. An imported beer was from another state. You bought beer at the liquor store, not the grocery store. Grocery stores sold groceries. And only groceries. You wanted medicinals, you went to the drug store. Same for film, hardware, gardening, books, and toys. You went to that appropriate store. The closest thing to a variety store was the good old five-and-dime (Woolworth's ring a bell?). Condoms were kept discreetly behind the counter, not displayed for impulse-buy at the damn register in VIBRANT COLORS ("Daddy, what are these?"). Bread came in white, wheat, and buns. Period.

Polyester and Polaroids were cool, labels and instructions were in English only, and fireplaces burned wood. A trip to McDonald's was an EVENT. You were embarrassed to be caught driving a Toyota, and Honda only made lawnmower engines. If your Datsun (Nissan) was anything other than a Z, you hid it. Ford, GM and Chrysler actually turned a profit without govenmental handouts.

Skateboards were for leisurely riding down the sidewalk, not to hospital emergency rooms. I never - ever - saw anyone wearing a helmet while riding a bicycle. They would have been laughed out of school. Roller-coasters were all wooden and it didn't cost an average worker's day's pay to get into an amusement park.

Peyton Place would be PG now, Dark Shadows is still cool, and Future Shock came and went. You didn't need a license to drive a boat or own a gun (that was for you Cali folks), and the weatherman was no more off-target than he/she is today. And Sean Connery is the one and only 007.

Oh yeah - and there were a greater percentage of us out in the wilderness and national parks . . .

Bulldog34 #3393 04/02/10 05:43 PM
This just in - Ed Roberts passed on. I have an Altair 8800 construction manual somewhere around here. Anybody ever here build a computer with a soldering iron & bags & bags of parts?

Verum audaces non gerunt indusia alba. - Ipsi dixit MCMLXXII
Bulldog34 #3396 04/02/10 10:35 PM
S
S
Originally Posted By: Bulldog34

Apparently nobody noticed the date of my post.

Shoot! My oldest kid is 30. (and that's a true statement.)

Steve C #3397 04/03/10 08:19 AM
Rod Offline
It is easy to slip something by us old guys Steve.

Lunch Date:

A group of 40 year old girlfriends discussed where they should meet for lunch. Finally, it was agreed upon that they should meet at the Ocean View restaurant because the waiters there had tight pants and nice buns.

10 years later at 50 years of age, the group once again discussed where they should meet for lunch. Finally it was agreed that they should meet at the Ocean View restaurant because the food there was very good, the wine selection was good also, and the waiters were cute.

10 years later at 60 years of age, the group once again discussed where they should meet for lunch. Finally it was agreed that they should meet at the Ocean View restaurant because they could eat there in peace and quiet, the restaurant had a beautiful view of the ocean, and the waiters were sweet boys.

10 years later, at 70 years of age, the group once again discussed where they should meet for lunch. Finally it was agreed that they should meet at the Ocean View restaurant because the restaurant was wheel chair accessible, they even had an elevator, and the waiters were kindly.

10 years later, at 80 years of age, the group once again discussed where they should meet for lunch. Finally it was agreed that they should meet at the Ocean View restaurant because they had never been there before.

Steve C #3398 04/03/10 08:37 AM
Originally Posted By: Bulldog34

Apparently nobody noticed the date of my post.

Shoot! My oldest kid is 30. (and that's a true statement.)
Steve is a 38 year old prodigy with a 30 year old kid.

A bullet to the first person who asks "prodigy at what?"

AlanK #3399 04/03/10 09:15 AM
dbd Offline
Originally Posted By: AlanK

These days some people would just assume he'd had a good teacher.

Dale B. Dalrymple

dbd #3400 04/03/10 10:18 AM
Originally Posted By: dbd
Originally Posted By: AlanK

These days some people would just assume he'd had a good teacher.

KevinR #3403 04/04/10 07:06 AM
Nineteen Eighty Four was closer in the future than it now is in the past.

wagga #3409 04/05/10 01:18 PM
+ @ti2d Offline OP
OP Offline
Times may have changed, but the human spirit has not.

Men, womend and children of all ages and all walks (hikes) of life. Cancer survivors, amputees, "bypassers" have done what those three fishermen from Lone Pine, Charles Begole, A. H. Johnson, and John Luca on August 18, 1873, had done. Let's not forget the first women, Miss Anna Mills (later, Mrs. Johnston), Miss Hope Broughton, Miss Mary Martin, and Mrs. Redd, on August 3, 1878. Failure was not an option.

By now many of you have received your ticket to the top. For some, your first; for others, your "umpteenthty." Another season is upon us.

When you reach the top, you are in good company! You earned it.

Michael Jordan said: "Don't be afraid to fail. Be afraid not to try."

Have fun!

Journey well...
+ @ti2d #3412 04/05/10 03:59 PM
Originally Posted By: + @ti2d
By now many of you have received your ticket to the top. . .

Hmmmmm - for me that was the Too-Bad-So-Sad notice in Saturday's mail. Four TBNTs in the past 5 years - I'm just not living right or something. We're still coming in July, but it's a lot easier on the mind travelling 4000 miles RT with your family to climb a mountain when you know you actually have a ticket to the dance. Appears I'll be watching the Inyo website like a hawk the next 3 months and, failing that, making my presence felt at the InterAgency Center.

But Gary, regardless - we will HAVE FUN!

Bulldog34 #3413 04/05/10 04:43 PM
S
S
Bulldog,

Inyo NF doesn't update the website very often, weekly at best. To get an advance reservation, you have to telephone them and ask if there is anything available -- as often as you can!

However, most people with reservations do not bother to phone in and release the spots. They just wind up as no-shows on the check-in day (the day before their hike).

I once suggested to Inyo that they offer a partial refund to those releasing at least two weeks in advance, but was told that paying out money was very difficult.

I think you are practically assured of getting whatever permits you need just by doing the walk-in at the 11 AM time the day before you want to hike as long as you go for a week-day. (Some are released earlier in the morning as people checking in release unused slots).

If it is any consolation, Inyo tells me when they get their on-line electronic reservation system running, they will give priority to repeat applicants who got nothing in the prior year(s), and lower priority to repeaters who already got permits. Seems like a good idea to me seeing all the people with amazing success rates.

Steve C #3415 04/05/10 05:28 PM
Thanks Steve, you 38 year-old savant you! I'll definitely be ringing the FS line off the hook. My dilemma is that we wanted to do a one or two-nighter on the mountain, and I know those don't come available as often as the dayhike openings. Whitney would be the only point in the trip that we would be backpacking, so our decision to ship all the extra gear out beforehand (bags, pads, tents, larger packs, etc.) is dependant upon knowing we have overnight permits in hand a week or so before we leave. Without at least 4 overnight permits secured, I really don't want to go to that trouble and expense. The rest of the itinerary is all around dayhikes for a week in Yosemite, Mammoth and the Whites while staying in a condo in Mammoth (your idea, remember? A good one too!).

Obtaining dayhike permits once we're there is better than nothing, and that's what we'll try if necessary - but I have no expectation that my wife and daughter will summit, nor really enjoy it as much as a one or two-nighter. I don't even know if I could get them out of bed at 1:00 or 2:00 am. I recall very little from the return half of my dayhike last year except that I was whipped and wanted a big-ass WPS cheeseburger and a beer. Aside from the dayhike being a grind, you don't have time to stop and smell the roses - uh, er, marmots.

Bulldog34 #3416 04/05/10 05:35 PM
S
S
I realize I am beginning to sound like a stuck record, but look at the numbers in the unused column of the overnight permits for the 2009 season.

There are SO many unused, and THOSE numbers are after all is said and done at the end of the date of entry, NOT the beginning of the period the day before!

If I were you, I'd set the dates and ship "all the extra gear out".

Bulldog34 #3418 04/05/10 06:46 PM
Jane Fonda was just on CNN. She's 72, but doesn't look a day over 38.

Steve C #3419 04/05/10 07:26 PM
Those mid-week numbers in the middle of July give me hope . . .

wagga #3421 04/05/10 08:31 PM
Wagga,
You need to get some.

Mike
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard