Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
California fire threat map and current fires
#34987 01/25/14 01:50 PM
J
Joseph Offline OP
OP Offline
J
The link below starts Gmap4 and displays a map showing the wild fire threat level for California. Red is “very high” and the darker color is “extreme”. There is sure a lot of red! It might take a few seconds for all the data to appear on the map.

This map can also display current fires that are being tracked by the inter-agency GeoMAC team and some other GIS (Geographic Information System) data layers related to wild fires that you usually do not see all on the same map.

Each time you view the map you are seeing the latest data from the state and federal servers. To learn more about the map please visit the two links in the upper left corner of the map. The “About” link will show you how to turn the GIS overlays on/off, change the order in how the overlays stack on top of each other, make your own custom link for this map and more.

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.ph...fire_threat.txt

Joseph, the Gmap4 guy
Redmond, WA

Re: California fire threat map and current fires
Joseph #34988 01/25/14 03:12 PM
Cool map, Joseph. For tracking fire incidents, Cal Fire uses Google Maps. This is were the latest info gets posted for the public from the Emergency Ops Centers. I wonder if these datasets can be layered or if the same info is already in GMAP4?

Re: California fire threat map and current fires
SierraNevada #34990 01/25/14 04:02 PM
J
Joseph Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Yes, I looked at the Cal Fire data and decided not to add it to the map due to a data quality issue.

In broad strokes, GeoMAC tracks big fires that include federal resources. CalFire tracks fires that do not include federal resouces.

The GeoMAC data only includes GeoMAC fires. Good.

The CalFire data includes both CalFire fires and GeoMAC fires. I am not convinced that CalFire keeps the data for the GeoMAC fires up to date. When I checked the Colby fire (GeoMAC is tracking) on the CalFire site, their data was way out of date.

If the CalFire data only had info about their own fires and not info about GeoMAC fires, then I would happily add the CalFire data to the map.

Link Copied to Clipboard