Print Thread
Mt Whitney trail summit attempt -- end of March
#35245 03/05/14 09:31 PM
B
Bingo Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi,

My friend and I would like to attempt to summit via the mt Whitney trail during the last week of March. We are planning on hiking from the road closure and spending one night around 10,000 ft, then go for the summit. We will be bringing snowshoes, crampons, ice axes, and winter camping gear. We both have extensive backpacking experience, but very little snow mountaineering experience. I am planning to practice self-arrest technique somewhere along the way at lower altitudes.

I have a few questions regarding what we are to expect, as neither of us have hiked the trail before:

1. Does this sound like a reasonable attempt given the recent storms and snowpack?

2. What sort of concerns should we have at this point of the season i.e. Avalanches, snow drifts, difficult trail navigation, etc.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Mt Whitney trail summit attempt -- end of March
Bingo #35248 03/06/14 08:51 AM
Bingo,

The summit of the highest peak is not a good place to learn winter mountaineering skills. You're probably going to get lots of warnings about this plan and the potential danger you may put others in trying to rescue you. I think your plan is good up to a point, probably the 10,000 ft level near Outpost Camp. Shooting for the summit without experience at self arrest seems to me like you're pushing limits much too far on this mountain. Think about lowering your goals, developing skills and just enjoying the mountain rather than trying to conquer it.

I suggest you look for a winter mountaineering course, hire a guide, or spend time in the snow with experienced mountaineers if you know some. There are lots of Youtube vids on self arrest and mountaineering books like "Freedom of the Hills" but there's no substitute for experience. Take it step by step and enjoy the entire journey, not just the peak.

Re: Mt Whitney trail summit attempt -- end of March
Bingo #35250 03/06/14 09:48 AM
W
W
Most of the time people go up this mountain in these type conditions they come back without making the 11 PM news. This means most are careful when using new and shiny gear without experience. However, the problem is when something goes wrong...as in it goes very wrong.

I had 8 years of winter experience before going up the chute at Mt. Whitney. More than was required for this trip? Yeah but I was uncomfortable doing it with less.

To answer your questions...

1. Reasonable attempt....No, because you have little experience with gear, no experience with the mountain and no experience snow camping.

2. Concerns...Beyond not having the skills for this trip, who knows because we are 3 weeks out and Mother Nature isn't done with winter yet.

Going from the "gate" to 10,000', ~+2,700', which is Lone Pine Lake with 50+ pounds of this and that is a very long day, then add 16 miles with 25 to 30 lbs. gear the following day...this should be a very big concern.

Link Copied to Clipboard