Page 1 of 2 1 2
JMT Resupply at Bishop Pass Jct/Le Conte
#38436 07/08/14 07:06 PM
J
jjg Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hello,

I will be doing the JMT in September. I would like to do a resupply at the junction of the JMT with the Bishop Pass trail (aka Le Conte). Rainbow Pack Outfitters will bring resupplies to the JMT at this junction. The cost, however, is $600 for this service. They bring a mule that can carry up to 150 pounds. They will also pack out your trash, or other items you may want to part with. I only need the mule to carry an estimated 10 pounds of food. That leaves a lot of room for more supplies. I am looking for one or more other persons that would like to go in together on a resupply at this location on September 14. We would divide the cost and the allowed weight (150 lbs) equally by the number of people involved.

If you are interested in going in together on a resupply at the Bishop Trail Jct on September 14, please let me know.

Or, if you have information about other methods of getting supplies delivered to the JMT at this location, I would appreciate the information.

I am trying to avoid having to hike out, off the JMT, to retrieve the supplies. I do not have the extra days to spend.

Thank you,
Jill

Re: JMT Resupply at Bishop Pass Jct/Le Conte
jjg #38453 07/08/14 11:21 PM
Jill: Is your mind made up about that location for resup? It is only 2 1/2 days out of MTR at a modest pace 4 1/2 days out of VVR. If you are NoBo you need a lot less than 10 lbs at Leconte, and if SoBo, Onion Valley/Independence is a lot more convenient and usual. What is your pace? What bear can are you carrying?

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
saltydog #38461 07/09/14 05:07 AM
Also check the JMT forum on Yahoo Groups. They have a spreadsheet for organizing resupply with a packer service to help group people up. It's set up for a different trail junction (Baxter Pass?), but you should be able to adjust your schedule, as Salty wrote. Bishop Pass is not well located for resupply for a "typical" JMT schedule. We were there in less than 2 days from Muir Trail Ranch just last week.

Last edited by SierraNevada; 07/09/14 05:10 AM.
jjg #38465 07/09/14 07:10 AM
B
B
Bishop is frequently used as a resupply point on the JMT. We (locals) see a lot of JMT and thru-hikers hitching back and forth to the South Lake (Bishop Pass) trailhead. Many locals will pick up backpackers. It is also possible to get a ride out to Bishop with one of the many day-hikers who park there at the South Lake trailhead. Besides, the Bishop Pass trail is a lot easier than the Baxter Pass Trail (which is not in good condition).

There is a Von's supermarket in town, as well as Wilson's Eastside Sports, which has a good variety of freeze-dried foods.

Another option is this shuttle service: http://www.eastsidesierrashuttle.com/

If you can get others to share the cost, the Rainbow Pack Outfit is a very good, reliable service, and is a good source of trail conditions beta.

Last edited by Bob West; 07/09/14 07:11 AM.
Bob West #38482 07/09/14 04:22 PM
Hey Jill,

I found the link to the spreadsheet mentioned in my post above.

2014 JMT Packer Resupply Sign-up

The Bishop Pass trail junction is about:

30 miles from Muir Trail Ranch and
82 miles from Whitney Portal

Clearly, this is not centrally located between your last resupply opportunity (MTR) and the finish line, and it's a big side trip (3,300 ft climb to the pass). That's why Bishop Pass is not a common JMT/PCT resupply point. There are 19 entries on this spreadsheet, only 1 is for Bishop Pass. The other 18 are either Charlotte Lake or Woods Creek, which are more centrally located.

Good luck and have a hike of a lifetime!

SierraNevada #38483 07/09/14 04:40 PM
H
H
yep, pick your poison

(1) carry all you need from MTR to the end. This works ok for fast people, or those who are slow but can carry more food.

(2) exit LeConte over Bishop Pass to South Lake. At my speed in 2013 that took 9 hrs, one way. Loaded, the other way took 10.

So figure 3 days, one to exit + get ride to Bishop, stay, shop, rest, return. If all goes well, and organized, it could be done in 2.

SierraNevada #38485 07/09/14 06:17 PM
S
S
> 30 miles from Muir Trail Ranch and
> 82 miles from Whitney Portal

How does that compare with a resupply over Kearsarge pass?

Steve C #38487 07/09/14 06:47 PM
H
H
Hi Steve

I see that the poster is from Georgia, and first time at this site. We don't know of their previous experience/speed at these altitudes and endurance.

At the proverbial 10 miles a day ,then the 112 miles from MTR to WP becomes 11 days, too much for one bearcan full. One large and a half size can could do it, perhaps the latter mailed to MTR.

Other "self" options; many people are going faster during the second half, now in shape and well-accclimatized. At 12 miles daily, need 9 days. Most people cannot get that in a bearcan. At 14 miles daily, it becomes 8 days. Maybe. At 16 miles daily, it becomes 7 days. Yes. Unfortunately, that schedule leaves no room for weather, illness, sprains, etc, and is unreasonable to expect if a fellow East Coaster is coming out for the first time.

At this point, someone will chime in about packing density of bearcans and/or daily hiking mileage.

Steve C #38488 07/09/14 06:56 PM
How does that compare with a resupply over Kearsarge pass?

Kearsage Pass Trail Junction:

73 miles from Muir Trail Ranch
39 miles from Whitney Portal

+7.5 miles to Onion Valley Trailhead. (The packers bring it to Charlotte Lake). Still not centrally located for 1 resupply.

Baxter Pass Trail Junction:

66 miles from Muir Trail Ranch
46 miles from Whitney Portal

+11 miles over Baxter Pass to Oak Creek Trailhead. (The packers bring it to Woods Creek).

Baxter Pass or Woods Creek is the most central location for 1 resupply over the long southern section (112 miles from Muir Trail Ranch - Whitney Portal). That's why this is the most popular location for packer resupply on the JMT spreadsheet.

If you're going to leave resupply food in a bear box and hike to it, then Kearsage Pass is the best location due to the shorter hike to Onion Valley trailhead.

SierraNevada #38510 07/10/14 08:24 AM
J
jjg Offline OP
OP Offline
J
SierraNevada,

Thank you for the link to the resupply spreadsheet; very helpful!

Jill

Last edited by jjg; 07/10/14 09:13 AM.
jjg #38514 07/10/14 08:43 AM
J
jjg Offline OP
OP Offline
J
To help reduce further speculative comments, I will provide the following information:

I am a seasoned backpacker with much experience throughout the mountains west of the continental divide.
I do not have a problem with altitude.
I have done the JMT before, back in 1993. At that time, I went 15 miles/day, without any down time, and carried all of my supplies with me (i.e., no resupply necessary).
I am deliberately choosing a much different pace this time around (less distance per day and days off in pre-selected areas).
Bishop Pass Jct/Le Conte is the halfway point between my entry (Whitney Portal) and exit (Reds Meadows). This is where I want to resupply. I know it would take 3 days for me to hike out from this point, hitch to town to grab my supplies, hitch back to the trailhead, and hike back to the JMT. My intent is to receive my resupplies without leaving the JMT.

Last edited by jjg; 07/10/14 11:59 AM.
jjg #38519 07/10/14 08:49 AM
J
jjg Offline OP
OP Offline
J
That being said, I'll restate my original question.

If you want to go in together with me on a resupply, through Rainbow Packing Outfitters, to be delivered to the JMT at Bishop Pass Jct/Le Conte on September 14, please let me know. The full cost is $600. They will carry in up to 150 lbs of supplies, and carry out what you wish to relieve yourself of. As I will have no more than 10 lbs of supplies to be carried in, there is plenty of left over space for others to share the resupply weight and cost. Using this service will likely save you a three day trip of hiking out to retrieve your supplies yourself.

The Outfitters will alternatively meet their customers at the top of Bishop Pass with the supplies. The cost for this service is $300. The top of Bishop Pass is a 6.8 mile, one way hike, with about 3,050ft gain in elevation. It would likely take a person a day to make the up and back return hike to the pass to retrieve the supplies.

If you know of another, less expensive, means of having resupplies delivered to the JMT at the Bishop Pass Jct (outside of having a very nice friend or family member do it for you), I would appreciate the information.

Thank you.

Last edited by jjg; 07/10/14 09:00 AM.
jjg #38526 07/10/14 10:05 AM
K
Ken Offline
K
If you know of another, less expensive, means of having resupplies delivered to the JMT at the Bishop Pass Jct (outside of having a very nice friend or family member do it for you), I would appreciate the information.
==========================

Yes, another suggestion. There are several guide services on the Eastside. I would be fairly certain that a guide on a day off from a trip might be willing to carry your 10# over for a considerable amount less. They could legally do that on their special use permit.

Individuals have had problems doing this in the past, in terms of the USFS, which hassled them for potentially doing a commercial sevice without a commercial permit. Since they did it for free, they were ok. (they were helping a buddy out).

SierraNevada #38528 07/10/14 12:19 PM
I had no problem doing it in 12 days (couple of rain delays) with everything in the bear can but the 1st days food. No resup. Some trail food and two dinners left over. Bearkeg. Bigger than the Garcia, not as big as the Bearikade Exp.

SPOTMe!
saltydog #38530 07/10/14 01:20 PM
H
H
SD
That is impressive loading.
Your bearkeg 716 cubic vs my bearcan BV500 that is 700, if I looked up specs right
Must have been pretty dense, but far better than carrying more carriers

Last edited by Harvey Lankford; 07/10/14 01:21 PM.
Harvey Lankford #38531 07/10/14 02:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Harvey Lankford
SD
Your bearkeg 716 cubic vs my bearcan BV500 that is 700, if I looked up specs right

Density is indeed the key. I use a lot of fat, peanut butter, nutella. Total caloric density of >5/gm and physical density enhanced by placing powders in with rice, pasta, beans, bulghur, or in dried meats, etc. Bulk bag fats and coffee/milk/sugar mix, etc. Specific gravity of the bearkeg food load, net of packaging (16.5 lbs) was .66, still less than what is possible. A little extra room for other smellies. Didn't realize the BV500 is almost as big: and its over a pound lighter, I should switch. I started the trip with a Bearboxer that I traded out at Red's. Then really loaded up at MTR. Wasn't that big a deal. I have done the math on mile/ponds of food and concluded that the resup between MTR and WP does not make sense calorically, and only makes sense if you can spring for the packer $$.

SPOTMe!
saltydog #38532 07/10/14 04:24 PM
S
S
Salty, what do you carry messy things like Nutella in?

Steve C #38536 07/10/14 06:33 PM
Originally Posted By: Steve C
Salty, what do you carry messy things like Nutella in?

Vac pac with one corner nipped makes a handy dispenser. About the same consistency as peanut butter, pemmican, another high density food.

Used to use Coughlan's refillable tubes, but found them unnecessary and very bulky.

Last edited by saltydog; 07/10/14 06:35 PM.

SPOTMe!
Harvey Lankford #38537 07/10/14 07:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Harvey Lankford
SD

Heads up Harvey, Fishmonger and I measured the volume of the Bear Vaults. They are about 50 cubic inches less than stated. It's about the volume of the lid, which is only way I can explain this, even though the lid doesn't add any useable space. So be advised, the BV 500 is closer to 650 in^3. There's a thread somewhere on this forum describing our results.

Resupply allows you to carry several pounds less weight than trying to pack it all in one shot. And you can treat yourself to some luxury items in the process, like an early stocking stuffer from Santa.

Bishop Pass does make sense for a Reds-Whitney section hike and perhaps other situations. It's not too bad to hike up into Dusy Basin to the Pass, but you have to time it just right to meet your packer. The 6-mile descent from the pass to South Lake, then down to town, and then back up, seems like a lot of wasted time to me. I'd go for the pass resupply and save time and money.

SierraNevada #38546 07/11/14 06:24 AM
H
H
Thanks. Maybe the 700 I found on specs was sales puff. One aggravating factor on the inside of the lid are ribs. When can is really crammed full they snag on stuff , making turning the lid difficult in either direction thus limiting how full one can fill. I cut off a thin sheet of stiff plastic to fit on this underside of the lids and alleviated this interference. Again, this is only important on day one with crammed load. Pack like Salty

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard