Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Mountaineers Route
RenoFrank #38825 07/20/14 01:31 PM
Originally Posted By: RenoFrank
Can someone offer me more info on the route from Clyde Meadows up to Iceberg lake? I'd like to see a picture with a route drawn on the picture.

Not a picture, but map with gpx route (can be downloaded). Select open cycle map for topo info. You may have to register for the site to download the gpx, but there is no cost, and gives you access to lots of routes.

http://my.viewranger.com/route/details/MTIzNzk%3D

RenoFrank #38865 07/22/14 01:41 PM
S
S
Can someone offer me more info on the route from Clyde Meadows up to Iceberg lake? I'd like to see a picture with a route drawn on the picture.

Frank, I assume you have reviewed Mountaineers Route info links within...

Specifically, you are asking about this section of videos starting with the last one in Part 4

Here... I clicked off a route using Gmap4 and its aerial satellite view. I think I got most of the route down pretty well. Just don't use it for exact waypoints.

Gmap4 view: route from LBSL to Iceberg Lake

And here is a Gmap4 view with an actual gps track: MR - Main Trail loop. The kmz file can be downloaded here.

Comparing the two lines, I see my click-map was off course in a few spots, especially near UBSL.

Steve C #38872 07/22/14 10:19 PM
S
S
In a PM, RF wrote:
Doug from the Portal Store told me to take the 2nd "gulley" past the seep up to Iceberg Lake. I'm having a hard time seeing the correct route on the photo, maybe because of the shadows.

Image link

Frank, here is a zoom in on the above Gmap4 map with gps track, in the area where you finally climb out of the trough below Iceberg lake up to the lake:
  Map Link.
Please play with it: Zoom in and out, switch between the "s Aerial Google Satellite" version and the "T4 Topo High" version (t4 zooms out about 4 clicks from the closest satellite view). Note how the track went up on one of the wet "seeps", and descended. Stay below the seeps, and walk past them! Where the track finally ascends is the right place.

And here is that picture, on which I have drawn a red line showing approximately the same route.
Click on it for the full size view:

The picture just doesn't show the detail that the Gmap4 satellite view gives. In fact, with the above map link, zoom in to the closest version -- you can see the actual foot paths, and tents and rock shelters at Iceberg. The blue track shows the hiker was TOO high near the seeps. They even tried to climb one seep and then retreated. STAY LOW, until you get past the seeps. Along the way when you hike, you will see some really tall cairns -- some of them are too high on the slope too. When you hike, if there are choices between two use-paths, choose the lower one. When you finally get to the area where that last (gray colored) moraine meets the more brown rock, the final ascent actually veers eastward and climbs a gulley-like area of more weathered rock.

Steve C #38873 07/23/14 12:10 AM
R
R
Steve, I can't thank you enough. Just as you said, the map link shows lots of detail. Thanks!

RenoFrank #38959 07/24/14 03:17 PM
S
S
Oi Frank,

The section I was most concerned about was taking the right gully up to Iceberg Lake from the moraines.

The "gully" is class 2, its very sandy winding up through some ledges (firmly sandy class 2 though) you should see LOADS of footprints in the sand.

It's very easy to find.

@jjoshuagregory (Instagram) for mainly landscape and mountain pics
Snacking Bear #38962 07/24/14 05:13 PM
R
R
Originally Posted By: Snacking Bear

The section I was most concerned about was taking the right gully up to Iceberg Lake from the moraines.

It's very easy to find.

Thanks for the info. I tend to over prepare.

Another question: I'll be camped at Iceberg Lake and plan to return via the Mountaineers Route. Should I take my hiking poles up from Iceberg Lake? Typically I depend on them to ease the strain on my hips, knees, and ankles.

RenoFrank #38964 07/24/14 06:48 PM
S
S
Another question: I'll be camped at Iceberg Lake and plan to return via the Mountaineers Route. Should I take my hiking poles up from Iceberg Lake? Typically I depend on them to ease the strain on my hips, knees, and ankles.

Yeah, they'll be invaluable coming down the chossy Mountaineers Chute.

@jjoshuagregory (Instagram) for mainly landscape and mountain pics
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard