Next Thread
Print Thread
High Sierra Trail - July 14 - 20, 2014
#39071 07/27/14 07:17 PM
K
Krishna Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Finally found the camera cable and loaded the most interesting pics on to flickr. Here is the flickr link where you can access the photos with a description attached to it. Here are the crazy stupid things which I wont do again smile

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25552148@N02/14574422347/

The actual distances and camping spots are pretty much the same I planned and explained to my family as I am going solo and their only connection with me are the spot messages they received. As I expected/ forewarned the family, the two messages I sent from the Kern canyon were lost in spite of spot telling me they were all sent!

Logistics: One cousin from SJ dropped me off at Visalia Motel 6 on July 13 and another cousin from SJ picked me from WP on July 21 and took me back to SJ. Much love and gratitude to them!

July 14: Started from Visalia on the 6a Sequoia shuttle, picked up permit at the Lodgepole RS and after two shuttles started from Crescent Meadows HST trailhead. As Salty warned there is no water at the trailhead and so filled bottle and hydration pack at the Ranger station it self.

Here comes the stupidity: Without any acclimatization, with a full pack of 8days food and 2 liters of water (new trial and does not know where the next stream is), I started struggling even after the second mile! I do understand that in any hike the first day first mile will be hard and then your body adjusts and its Okay. But on the first day I was woozy, it was hot and anxiously looking for the afternoon storms which the Ranger warned us! By the time I came to Meherten Ck, I am really struggling and wanted to sit by the trail and sleep! Then with that heavy pack I had to scramble on rocks (no trail up to CG) and when I was about to give up, saw the bearbox and just plopped my backpack. I almost passed out after setting up the tent. Then mercifully the shafts of rain came and I cooled down!
Other campers joined as the evening advanced. Compared to this first day, my whole JMT last year looked very easy!

July 15: After good dinner, and good sleep, I felt 100 times better than yesterday. Got up early had coffee and bkfst and started on my way by 6a. By around 10a met the family at the Buck ck (9 miles) with whom I started yesterday. Then to Bearpaw meadow. I looked at the map at the RS and the water spigot is 0.1 mile below at the CG! So trekked back to the CG and filtered the spigot water (it said either filter or boil water). Started towards Hamilton lakes. The trail went down on lazy switchbacks and crossed the deep gorge over Kaweah / lonepine stream (not sure which) and quickly started climbing over switchbacks towards a ridge. Then went down to Hamilton Lakes. It was only 3p so decided to go to Precipice lake (2000 ft up and 2 miles away). The trail is blasted thru granite and it was amazing to see the Hamilton Lake again and again at the end of each switchback and finally could see the Precipice lake up in the air! Exhausted but happy reached Precipice and the view of the lake with the desert varnish striations giving it a strange look, is worth all the effort! As there was a huge cloud sitting on the Kaweah's I could not get a nice pic like Akichow or Laura but was very glad to be there! Two more guys were camping on the rocks.
July 16: No sign on the gap that says the name and height frown Met Dave (the fellow I met on the Visalia shuttle) at the patrol cabin jn (did not see the cabin) and continued up on switchbacks towards sky parlor meadow. Ran out of water on the way but quickly found a stream and filled bottle and hydration pack. By early evening reached the Moraine lake with its sandy beaches and warm waters.
July 17: Short day - as its only 8 miles to Kern Hot springs. Saw some rattles on the trail but they are just sluggish (probably had some nice heavy lunch), waited for them to get off the trail and continued. Met no one till I reached the bridge down in the canyon. Crossed bridge and it was like walking along the bright angel creek in Grand Canyon, hot and sandy! Pitched tent near a big family of father, sons and uncles! Had a long refreshing time in the tub and when the wind picked up felt cold and returned.
July 18: Again another relaxing day, wanted to go up to Junction meadow. When I reached junction meadow it was only 12 noon. So after lunch decided to move on. The trail raises slowly above the Kern valley and this part is familiar as we did this a few years back when came down from Colby pass and went up to MW and then WP. Reached JMT by around 5p and camped on the south side of the Wallace ck with two more campers.
July 19: Met two PCT hikers who were looking for food so gave my extra day provisions to them (me happy lighter by 2 lbs). Reached Crabtree RS around noon and went to look at Rob's new digs and they look really nice. Rob put out a whole bucket full of spring water which I took advantage of and Rob was not there. Camped at Guitar lake at the slanted rock where I have my own sheltered private kitchen with serving counter!
July 20: Heavy gale and rain almost uprooted my tent (supported only by stones). So got up around midnight, stuffed the wet tent in a garbage bag, packed and started with my headlight. The skies were clear with unblinking stars all over. Reached trail jn around 4a, packed day bag with hydration pack munchies and started on the MW trail. By around 5:30a (could see dawn yellow lines) reached second Keeler window. Then the mountain closed up with heavy lightning and splitting thunder, hit my hail, snow and heavy winds. Never saw such display and decided to turn back. Met two girls running from the mountain, they stopped, smiled and told me they slept in the hut overnight and awakened with thunder and going down. I met them at the Timberline lake yesterday. So started back and reached TJ and was surprised to see some on calling me "amble on"! That was my JMT trail name given to me last year by Ken, a music teacher from Seattle! This is Steve and his 82 yr old mother (just coming up the switch backs from west side). I met them at the Golden stair case (before Mather pass) last year on the JMT.
Then the second storm hit us at 8a. Every one started scrambling up to the Trail crest. It was snowing heavily thru the 99 switchbacks and then it was raining. The granite was slippery and I came down to WP in record time only to find that I came down one day early and my cousin was not there. I met Keith, Kyle, Terry and lots of other hikers some of whom went back after waiting at the trail camp. The weather cleared up dramatically.
Overall its a fantastic experience, especially the last day and I would not trade for anything else! Sometimes it looked harder than JMT! But so what its my challenge and I wont give up!

Re: High Sierra Trail - July 14 - 20, 2014
Krishna #39078 07/28/14 01:33 AM
Krishna: It was a great story of a great trip. I don't see a bit of stupidity in it either. Starting at 6800 feet even without acclimation, heading for Mehrten, in fact I think is quite prudent. Modest pace and modest elevation. Its a good acclimation hike in itself. More likely you were exhausted and a little dehydrated than suffering from the elevation. That's a hot, dry stretch. The fact you were able to get to Precipice the next day belies any altitude problem. And to top it off, you had the presence of mind and good judgment to back off so close to the summit.
Well played, sir.

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
saltydog #39081 07/28/14 06:46 AM
K
Krishna Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Salty:
All your posts and gentle hints are very valuable to me and helped me on this hike. You did warn about the 2000ft climb over 2 miles at the end of the day on second day. So I took it very leisurely and slowly made my way up. So knowing ahead did really help me in pacing. Once I was at the Precipice lake, I was just dumb struck at the immense beauty of the place! No photo would justify the actual locale! It takes all the struggle and weariness out of you once you are there!
Thanks again!
Krishna

Krishna #39091 07/28/14 10:56 AM
A
A
Looks like you had an adventurous trip. Awesome pictures and description. Now I agree that I did see you there the the portal last week.

Abhijit

Krishna #39095 07/28/14 02:25 PM
S
S
Hi Krishna! Your adventure sounds AMAZING.

I've been longing to put in some trail-days and I may get some time at the end of August. Ihave a couple of questions if you don't mind my prodding...

1. Did the permit you picked up at Lodgepole cover your time in the WhitneyZone? I'm contemplating doing an HST YoYo, Crescent to Whitney Portal and back over (in about 10-13 days)I'm wondering if I select enter and exit for Lodgepole will create a problem.

2. What were the most challenging spots along the trail?

3. Any long dry sections that I should be concerned with?

4. What was the prettiest section in your opinion? smile

Thanks again for the great photos and TR!!

@jjoshuagregory (Instagram) for mainly landscape and mountain pics
Snacking Bear #39100 07/28/14 03:40 PM
K
Krishna Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hi SB!
1. Yes, the ranger also gave me a wag bag at the lodge pole RS when I picked up the permit for use on the east side of Whitney. I told him that they are available at Crabtree RS and I dont intend to carry it all the way. He said I can throw it in garbage a few feet away which I did. You can call the RS / fill up the permit form the exact way you want to do your yoyo and they have around 10 permits to reserve ahead and some more for walk ins per day.
2. For me the first day: It was hot and dry (only one stream between Crescent meadows and Meherten) + I was carrying full pack + I was not acclimated fully.
3. On the third day between the petrol cabin jn and the sky parlor meadow (which is quite pretty), there are only two flowing streams separated by around a mile. I actually ran out of water after the first stream crossing and while going up on switch backs, I almost thought of going down for water but decided that I can wing it on lemon drops and life savers. There is another long 2+ mile dry stretch between Jn Meadow and the Wright ck crossing before you reach JMT. This stretch is hot and uphill.
4. The prettiest sections are: Looking down to Hamilton lakes from switch backs, Precipice lake, the Moraine lake, coming down to Kern Canyon and going up Kern Canyon. I dont call the hot springs pretty but very refreshing smile

If you are planning yoyo, there are lots of better alternate loop hikes which you may want to consider, ex:
1. on the way back, at Jn Meadow take Colby pass trail, go up Colby and definitely spend one night at the Colby lake, then thru Roaring river Jn. take Elizabeth pass and then reconnect with HST near Bearpaw.
2. After reaching Whitney Portal, get a ride to Onion V, Over Kearsarge pass go thru Vidette meadow and take the Bubbs ck trail (going west) and end up on the Highway 180 roads end. There are pretty lakes, on one day side trips, east lake, Lake reflection etc.

Like this, there are lots of possibilities. I did the Colby pass trail and highly recommend it. Its part of the solitude loop and for days you may not meet anyone! Would be interested in your choice!

Snacking Bear #39102 07/28/14 04:08 PM
S
S
Adding to Krisha's post...
Whitney Zone starts at Trail crest. If you don't go down to the portal, you're not in it. But, you DON'T need a special permit if you start in Seki. In fact, wilderness permits allow you to exit for a resupply and return (as long as you are not off-trail > 24 hours, and as long as you re-enter the same trail). So you could head down to the portal, hitch-hike to Lone Pine, resupply, spend the night, and return, all on the Seki permit.

If you returned via Onion Valley, you would need a new permit. It would also require a hitch hike back to wherever the Seki shuttle runs. But the Kearsarge return is quite short -- I've day-hiked that.

You could also X-C down to Crabtree Lakes from Discovery Pinnacle -- that would be easy. You could shortcut down Whitney Creek (opposite direction of my climb up) (a little more difficult than the Discovery descent). Two years ago, I came down the Colby Pass trail after crossing Pants Pass (pretty difficult).

Krishna's Colby Pass suggestion sounds nice.

Krishna #39104 07/28/14 04:30 PM
S
S
Krishna wrote:
> Yes, the ranger also gave me a wag bag at the lodge pole RS when I picked up the permit for use on the east side of Whitney. I told him that they are available at Crabtree RS and I dont intend to carry it all the way. He said I can throw it in garbage a few feet away which I did.

JMT hikers on the Whitney summit told me the Yosemite permit people handed them a wag bag and told them they would need it on Mt Whitney. So they carried it ALL the way!

I think Krishna did the right thing.

Ranger Rob Pilewski at Crabtree that
1. Seki is not even asking through-hikers who summit Whitney and then continue north or south on the JMT or PCT to use wag bags.
2. they DO provide wag bags on the trail on the way past Crabtree.

I was amazed that the permit clerk at Mineral King told me I had to pack out not only used TP, but also apple cores, banana peels and orange peels.

In my opinion, they have gone berserk with the requirements. I asked other hikers about carrying out TP, and not one did. One said he burned his.

Steve C #39105 07/28/14 05:12 PM
For me, leave no trace principles are a small inconvenience that benefits us all. As the wilderness becomes more popular and congested, following LNT becomes more important as a means to preserve the quality of experience. So I'll do my part and I hope others do the same.

Steve C #39107 07/28/14 06:41 PM
Bee Offline
It seems that people have difficulty adhering to even the most basic "curtesy" of not trashing the water sources, campsites, etc., so the authorities probably instill stringent rules in hopes of maybe, a 25% compliance.

I have no sympathy for the policy whiners; the trash situation is getting worse and worse each season.

BTW, banana peels etc do not decay at the same rate as soft vegetable matter, so they do act as trash (I personally do not want to see days and weeks on end of "organic" trash along the trail.)

Folks need to suck it up.

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
Steve C #39113 07/28/14 08:08 PM
K
Krishna Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Actually I did pick up a wag bag at Crabtree but did stuck to my immodium trick. This time one tablet at Guitar lake before sleep saw me thru all the way to Whitney Portal next day! A little bio gas propulsion also helped in the quick descent! Seriously I sincerely believe that this is a good alternative to wag bag issue!

Is there a society around LP with the motto: "Keep Whitney clean" thats run by volunteers and donations? Once or twice a year we can all go up and down the mountain just to clean up the trash! A good publicity in news media would also help! Just dreaming!

Krishna #39115 07/28/14 08:13 PM
K
Krishna Offline OP
OP Offline
K
While struggling on the first day with a heavy pack (38lbs with food and 2 liters of water), I was dreaming of drones coming and delivering my daily food. With the popularity and use of drones increasing every day, we can get our daily food delivered by a drone and also send the trash including wag bags away!!! This may be unsettling for all those pack trains. But look at the convenience! smile

Krishna #39127 07/28/14 09:51 PM
Don't need a drone. Just bring a "pack out" animal, like a dog. My pup carried any waste I tossed in her pack, she didn't care whose it was or what it was. Just need a place to park your pup while you go for the summit since no dogs are allowed past Trail Crest (where you enter the National Park).

Steve C #39166 07/29/14 02:25 PM
S
S
Hah, thanks Steve.

I ask because I WILL be descending to Whitney Portal. Several days into the back country I'll be craving beer and fries... and more beer. But I'll also be able to ship stuff down into LP and not have to carry umpteen days worth of stuff across the range.

Krishna, I like the idea of a different return route. Perhaps a CC route somewhere.... I was actually thinking about cutting over Pants Pass. It would be shorter than Colby Pass no?

Snacking Bear #39168 07/29/14 03:31 PM
S
S
Originally Posted By: Snacking Bear
Hah, thanks Steve.

I ask because I WILL be descending to Whitney Portal. Several days into the back country I'll be craving beer and fries... and more beer. But I'll also be able to ship stuff down into LP and not have to carry umpteen days worth of stuff across the range.

Krishna, I like the idea of a different return route. Perhaps a CC route somewhere.... I was actually thinking about cutting over Pants Pass. It would be shorter than Colby Pass no?

A resupply at Whitney Portal would really work!

If you are game for the cross-country, Pants Pass from the east side is good (tougher from the west). And probably the most direct Sierra crossing from Mt Whitney. Here's my report from two years ago: HST: High Sierra Trail and Pants Pass
More pictures and captions in the album here: HST High Sierra Trail, Pants Pass

Snacking Bear #39199 07/30/14 07:09 AM
K
Krishna Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hi SB! I was reading thru Steve's x-country from HST to Pants pass (still I have trouble locating the exact pass in the NG map I have) and then to Colby pass trail on the east side of the Colby pass. Its definitely a short cut if you like x-country hiking.

Re. getting permit at Lodge pole for return trip: When we did the hwy 180 to Avalanche, Colby pass, MW, WP we did ask for the return trip via Onion V, Kearsarge, Vidette, Bubbs ck to Hwy 180 back and we did get it at Cedar grove/ Road end's RS as this whole trip is in SEKI. Since in those days all my hikes were limited to around a week due to blisters, we quit at WP, rented a car in Ridge crest and got back to Hwy 180. Hope this helps.

Krishna #39869 08/21/14 08:24 PM
S
S
Egad Krishna,

You've inspired me. I'm hitting the HST next week for 7 days of Sierra Time!!!

Thanks for the info!

Link Copied to Clipboard