Print Thread
July 23 Day Hike - Successful Summit 1st Timer
#39067 07/27/14 01:39 PM
A
Abhijit Offline OP
OP Offline
A
All,
First I'd like to thank you for helping me out with every single bit of information I needed for my Whitney day hike. Also, would like to mention that this TR is going to be "longish" - I just want to tell it all.

The idea came of day hiking Whitney came to me when I was thinking about "the one symbol" that could epitomize the changes I made since last year. Last year I was diagnosed as diabetic, 40 lb overweight, completely out of shape, and at the bottom of my fitness. I bet with myself that before the end of 2014, I'll be at the top of my fitness and health. So what's at the top that I could achieve - Whitney.

Since 2013 April, I lost around 40 lbs, worked out every day (ran/hiked/swam/did weights), and now have reached a stage where I don't have to take any medication for diabetes (only controlling through diet and exercise). In February I applied for a day hike permit for 6 in late July. One by one all members of my group backed out but I decided to make this trip no matter what. I did practice for endurance (hiking upto 26 miles in Tennessee mountains/hills) but altitude was an unknown factor.

I read up a lot of information on AMS, other potential issues on Whitney day hikes and tried to be prepared. Since, I was coming from Tennessee, I didn't have a luxury of making several trips just in case anything went wrong. So I planned and hoped for the best.

20th July - Traveled from TN to Las Vegas. Drove through Death Valley on my way to Lone Pine. The views were great in Death valley and it was hot in the afternoon - 120 degrees.

I was glad that I had a car with working A/C. As I came near Lone Pine, I could see Whitney and other peaks on the horizon. It was a great view and that time I was understanding the magnitude of my task. I booked a room in Best Western (couldn't get in DOW Villa for those days - may be next time). The room was ok but not cheap- no complaints though. Since I'm not a camping person, I've to pay the cost of the hotel and there are not that many choices. Immediately after checking in, I hit the portal and went for a warm up hike. I had a couple of hours before dark and wanted to scope the trail out. I went about 2 miles up and was back around 8:15 at night. I didn't feel any AMS symptoms then.

21st July - Went ahead and picked up my permit at 8am. After breakfast drove to Horseshoe Meadows camping and did a 7.58 mile warm up hike to cottonwood pass. This was my first experience at more than 10K elevation and I still did not feel any altitude sickness. Had lunch at the pass, read about 100 pages of a book and headed back down to lone pine.

22nd July - In the morning, I again drove to Horseshoe meadows campground. My plan was to sit there and acclimatize myself at elevation but got bored after 2 hours of reading. I decided to go to portal and sit there and chat with some people. When I reached portal there was not a single place to park. There were runners from "badwater ultra cup" race on the road and the portal atmosphere was a like a carnival one. So I decided to head back down to Lone Pine. On my way back, I gave ride to a nice Dutch couple (Rob and Marla from Holland) who spent about 5 weeks in Sierras hiking. They wished me luck - and boy i really needed that.

I Thought that if I get some sleep/rest in the afternoon, it will be easy to start early in the night. However, I was wired up and couldn't rest or sleep. Finally, at 6pm I got ready and headed for the portal. The plan was to go to portal, park, talk with some people, sleep in the car for a while and start hiking between 12:30am- 1:00 am. From this forum I found another hiker buddy who also was planning to do a solo hike on the same day. Him and I decided to meet at the scale at 12:30ish and hike together. At the portal, I met with Mike who told me not to worry and pace myself. Mike also mentioned that he did this hike every year. I tried to sleep in the car but couldn't do it for more than half an hour. Reasons - noise, anxiety, time of the day, comfort level of car seat. At around 11:55pm I decided to get ready.

23rd July - The day of the hike - I met Joseph (Ponzy on the forum) around 12:45 and we left right at 1:00 am. Ponzy shares a similar story like mine and I thought we'd hike perfectly together. Turned out that we did great as a team. We weighed out day packs (mine was 17 lb, his was 18 lb). Don't know why we were carrying so much.

I carried about 2 liters of water knowing that there were plenty of water sources while Ponzy had a lot more water. The night hiking was a new experience ( i walked my dog in the dark using the headlamp as practice. I planned to do a hike in the dark but cancelled that plan when I encountered 2 rattlesnakes and a cottonmouth on a day hike in Tennessee). We saw a deer but later heard that around 3 am a hiker was attacked by a bear and snatched his backpack. For us, the hike till outpost camp was uneventful.

After outpost camp, the nasty stretch began switchbacks after switchbacks near mirror lake and then the half mile of the trail just before the trail camp was not fun. I had heard the switchbacks were nasty but this was energy sapping too. Just before the trail camp though, we saw a spectacular sunrise and shades of oranges in the sky and on the mountains. It cannot be described in the words and had the power to make us forget that we were getting tired.

We took a breather at the trail camp. At that point we were anxious knowing switchbacks were next. Also, this is where Ponzy started feeling the effect of AMS. He didn't exhibit any other symptoms but headache. I gave him ibuprofen to make it go away for a while.

Switchbacks were "BRUTAL". No other word for them. Endless, energy sapping. Also, Ponzy's headache was getting worse. So we slowed down quite a bit. I was telling myself that it's not a race. It was a clear day and no rain or thunderstorms were forecast. So I was not worried if we made the summit half an hour later than planned. Our speed became around 1.4mph and that was ok with me. Views from switchbacks are amazing. Every switchback you are going up and see things differently. There was no ice at the cables and going through that is not difficult at all.

At the trail crest we were ecstatic that we made up to 13,600 feet. I was not feeling any AMS symptoms but Ponzy's headache was worse. He had another ibuprofen but it was not proving effective. Also, did I say that it was windy. Well..it was..about 25 mph gusts and the temperature was in 40s. For a guy who's originally from India and whose hometown winter low is 60 degrees, this was too much. Fortunately, I had a jacket and a good cap. But I believe cold played a part in Ponzy's headache.

If switchbacks were brutal, then the next section after Trail Crest was "brutaler" in my opinion. Narrow, steep, rocky, non uniform, hard to spot trail, drop offs on both sides (windows), it had it all. But we were determined, cautious, and steady. Good hiking boots and trekking poles helped tremendously.

But by then, we could see the hut at the summit and if we could see it we could reach it. Just about half a mile from summit, we met a father/son duo on their way to the top. The son was sick/vomiting. I gave some of my ibuprofen, electrolyte tabs, gu chomps, gu gels and water to make him feel better. I was surprised to learn that between those two, they had only one 1 liter of water bottle. So much for the preparation.
Finally, at 11:10 am we made the summit. It took us 10:10 hours but was well worth it.

The views from the top were spectacular.

However, it was cold and windy. Ponzy was still having a bad headache and he took a brief nap. We signed the register, took obligatory photographs. I saw the father/son making the summit while we were about to leave. I felt some satisfaction that I could help him out in some way.

Finally we left the summit after half an hour. I thought it's going to be easy and downhill..but not so fast. I forgot the portion before trail crest. It was still "brutaler". But once we reached trailcrest, rest was very easy. Good trekking poles and sure footing is all you need. We took only a couple of breaks on our way down after trail crest. I saw several wag bags littered off the trail - some people. For the whole hike I did not have to use the wag bag (and I was afraid that I might need more than one..then what would I do?).
It took us 6:00 hours to get down to portal. Ponzy was still having headache but mild. So we skipped the beer at the portal but had the burger. I was very tired but happy. It was well worth the effort and no AMS. Yay..

I thank again to all the experts on this forum who made my hike easier with their valuable advice.

All the photos during my trip are uploaded here.
https://plus.google.com/photos/100340339718576103183/albums/6040812648724739793

Thanks.
Abhijit

Re: July 23 Day Hike - Successful Summit 1st Timer
Abhijit #39072 07/27/14 07:29 PM
K
K
Abhijit!
Congrats! I think I saw you on July 21 at the Portal while I was waiting for my cousin to pick me up. Fantastic narration, really enjoyed it!
Krishna

Abhijit #39076 07/27/14 09:35 PM
G
G
Congratulations on your successful trip, and way to go, helping out another hiker in need. Well done!

One day I'd like to hike the entire John Muir Trail and not leave a single footprint. -Randy Morgenson
Abhijit #39080 07/28/14 06:28 AM
K
K
Abhijit:
I been scanning thru your fantastic photo journal. Those photos are incredible and you are blessed with such a clear day thru thru!
The flowers you captured are called "skypilots". The whole west and east side of Whitney this year had lots of skypilot blooms all over the rocks,a lot more than I ever saw! If you pause for a moment you can smell the delicate fragrance of these rare flowers! Really you are truly blessed for such an extraordinary experience!
My unasked advice would be keep such one goal per year and train thru the year for that one! You dont need any meds! Thats exactly what I been doing for the past 22 years and never looked back! At my exalted retired age (keeping my fingers crossed), I dont take any meds except some advil for those long days of hike!
Best Wishes and Good Luck in your future hikes! Now I am sure I saw you at WP last Monday!

Krishna

Abhijit #39083 07/28/14 07:47 AM
"Diabetes can kiss my @$$"

I like that...I have Type 2. I don't know how much diet and exercise I need (lean, mean), but I keep doing it.

Death Valley? Better you than me! grin

Yes, I hate that part going back up to Trail Crest. Who built that trail anyways? I already know.

And...I hate that last 2.5 miles. Mind thinking of beer, burgers and fries, and those switchbacks going down take F-O-R-E-V-E-R.

Bravo Zulu on your summit.

Have a safe trip back to Tennessee.

Journey well...
Abhijit #39269 07/31/14 08:38 AM
Originally Posted By: Abhijit

Since 2013 April, I lost around 40 lbs, worked out every day (ran/hiked/swam/did weights), and now have reached a stage where I don't have to take any medication for diabetes (only controlling through diet and exercise). In February I applied for a day hike permit for 6 in late July. One by one all members of my group backed out but I decided to make this trip no matter what. I did practice for endurance (hiking upto 26 miles in Tennessee mountains/hills) but altitude was an unknown factor.

Congrats on your hike and improving your health.

I'm curious, if you don't mind, could you share what you've done diet-wise?

Abhijit #39292 07/31/14 04:12 PM
C
C
Abhijit you are AWESOME!!! I bow to you....
Taking control of your life & health like that is so HUGE!
Take pride in the fact that you are better than most. Most folks who are in that place would rather wallow in their misery than put in the hard yards it takes to get to a higher place.....
I was in a similar situation 5 years ago & turned it completely around after major surgery. I didn't want to live the rest of my life like that...
Isn't it AMAZING that when you give your body what it needs it RESPONDS!!!
Isn't it a great feeling that your body is capable of performing at a high level?
I'm still trying to figure out why you did not have altitude issues...
One question - in the photo of what you took with you, what is that 'clear lungs' stuff? I have not heard of it....
If you decide to come out & hike Whitney again I hope you get in touch with me. I would be honored to walk it with you....
Continued good health to you!
-cat b.

CatB #39294 07/31/14 04:42 PM
S
S
CatB:
      Clear Lungs        

63ChevyII.com #39319 08/01/14 06:50 AM
A
Abhijit Offline OP
OP Offline
A

Thank you. Long answer to your question:

Last year after finding out about diabetes, I reduced my sugar intake to almost none (added sugar I mean). So I'd not put any sugar in my coffee or tea. I found out that fruits/vegetables have plenty of carbs and sugar in them and I might not need any additional sugar (at least to start with). I cut down on potatoes, bread quite a bit (daily 50g of carbs was the limit). no ice creams, chocolate chip cookies, fries, chips. No taco bell, mcdonalds, pizza, or any junk food. No more beer, long island iced teas. Alcohol once a month but that too very small quantity. It was hard for first few weeks.

During that time, I ate about 6 to 7 times a day.

Breakfast - 1 toast (wheat bread not buttered) & 2 egg whites,
10 am snack - apple/banana,
12:00pm - lunch - salad/soup and/half sandwich with wheat bread no mayo, one triangle of cheese. Sometimes traditional indian cooking with pulses/vegetables.
3pm snack - a small fruit or half a cup nuts (not more than 150 calories)
6pm snack - yogurt unsweetened with some green bean etc.
8:30 dinner - salad/vegetables
10pm - glass of 2% milk (if i felt hungry). No more late night visits to taco bell.

Drank plenty of water. No carbonated drinks or sodas - diet or regular.
I also started with eating with eyes closed when in restaurants - the idea was that the food portions are so big you tend to overeat almost every time. In order to resist the temptation, I did not see the amount of food I was eating but listened to my stomach instead. I needed a lot of help from my wife for this initially but eventually I could see the food and still resist the urge to finish the dish. I also stopped finishing my daughter's leftover dinners.

Add daily running and exercise to all the above discipline and the results were very quick. There were no shortcuts. Old fashioned hard work and focus. (I really like the statement from Star Wars I: The Phantom Menace when Liam Neeson says "Your focus determines your reality").

I also kept a log of what I was eating, how much exercise I was doing daily, my blood pressure & blood sugar level, and my weight. There's something very satisfying when you have a scoreboard and you see you are winning the battle.

Now the mantra is everything in moderation. Today, if I want to eat icecream, I can but very small portion. I can eat a piece of chocolate chip cookie as well.

Cat,
Thank you. It is indeed amazing to see the changes. Last February or March I was feeling fatigued/tired all the time. Now, I run 6/7 miles and still go out and do more yard work or spend time with my family and enjoy. I don't think I could have done that last year.
That "clear lungs" stuff - I think Steve already provided the link. I don't think it's FDA approved drug. It's just something was suggested to me by vitamin shoppe guy. He told me that some people got good results. I can't confirm whether that was the only reason for me not to get any AMS.

Abhijit

Last edited by Abhijit; 08/01/14 06:59 AM.
Abhijit #39321 08/01/14 07:14 AM
S
S
Abhijit: Congratulations!!! What an amazing focus go get you on the healthy path. Thanks for sharing what you have done.

Steve C #39337 08/01/14 10:23 AM
C
C
Thanks Steve,
Sounds like something my acupuncturist might give me. I'll have to ask her about it.....

Abhijit #39341 08/01/14 10:46 AM
Thank you for the detailed reply Abhijit.

I am not diabetic but am very interested in diet and nutrition. I have been trying to control my blood sugar to encourage fat loss and was just wondering what worked for you.

Congrats again! It's great you've found ' your spark' and did something about it!

63ChevyII.com #39850 08/21/14 07:50 AM
A
Abhijit Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks 63chevyll,
yes indeed i found my spark. Now that I achieved my goal from last year, I could see myself relaxing a bit for last 2 weeks. I guess it's time for a new adventure this year.

Abhijit

Abhijit #40174 09/09/14 04:00 PM
R
Raf Offline
R
Strong work!!! Glad you are healthy!!

Raf #40695 10/17/14 09:52 AM
P
P
wow....i never forgot to reply here but unfortunately forgot my password. I did email the webmaster but fortunately as i am cleaning up my desk right now, i remember the password, and i dont have to wait for the webmaster's reply on how to reset my password. hence, my reply now smile

first of all, i would love to thanked my hiking buddy, ABHIJIT for a wonderful time and opportunity of knowing and hiking with him, secondly to this site and fellow users that gave very valuable info and tips on how to prepare myself to hike this mountain and hike "other mountain".

*pls note for other hikers to learn from the mistake i made out of this trip: Overestimating myself!

Initially, i intended to "acclimatize" myself by arriving 2 days prior to the "big one" but with very hectic schedule/itinerary i have to modify Mt Whitney trip. Our hike was july 23,2014 and it was on Wed. my intended plan was to arrive Monday but i arrived Tues instead, leaving me with only hours to adapt to high altitude. I did the Mt Tallac (lake Tahoe region) sat before and i thought i am ready to Mt Whitney as i never felt anything in that elevation (my first highest @ 9735 ft) and told myself, i would change my plan and settle in the camp the day before.

Oh boy, i was wrong, i felt headache just past trail camp all the way to the summit, i believe was @ 12k feet and up. and almost backed out 300 ft shy of the summit because of the headache. i was not dizzy but i have a moderate headache. I would rate it from 0 - 10 (10 as worst that i have to go to an emergency) to 7-8! I did a calculated risk, i don't have dizziness, i am not vomiting, i am still ambulatory without disorientation or any "tremor" in my finger movements. just a moderate to near severe headache! so i endured the pain for the last 300 ft to the summit and felt i spent almost an hour to reached the summit hut! we arrived about 11 am, ate a bunch of food (i was hungry!!!) and took a nap for about 20 min and left the summit @ 11:30.

Abhijit was there to help me assess my "headache" and even offered that we could back out and head back down WITH ME. I am glad i knew him. I was ready to back out as soon as i felt my pain would increase from 8 to 8.5 (if headache persists even with rests of 15 min or so) but i will not let him spoil his dream of summiting mt whitney because of me. Thanks my friend! i appreciate it a lot!

Thank you folks and Mt Whitney for the experience. A month after this trip, Aug 23,2014 i did the GREAT RANGE TRAVERSE in one day. no headache. just sore legs smile

on to next trip, winter presedential traverse smile

ponzy #40711 10/20/14 06:45 AM
A
Abhijit Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Ponzy, Great to hear from you again. It's been a while. Hope you are doing well and thank you for your kind words.
Let's see what else we can achieve now.

Abhijit

Link Copied to Clipboard