Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Missing Hiker in Sequoia National Park
Bee #39441 08/05/14 09:04 AM
W
W
Bee,

Maybe it is me. I just do not consider family waiting when I make these decisions. Better I get back late safe and sound than lying in some drainage or hunkered down behind a block waiting to be rescued or waiting for first light to figure things out.

I have made enough mistakes to know these routes are more time consuming than a well worn trails. Plus, I just don't do new things without someone I trust with me.

Last edited by wbtravis; 08/05/14 09:04 AM.
wbtravis #39443 08/05/14 09:38 AM
Bee Offline
WB,

You are most fortunate.

I will have to place myself in the category of only semi-fortunate, because I survived one of those end-of-day "decisions".

I decided that skiing off a cliff was quicker than using the designated run -- bad, bad idea. I was lucky to be dragged off with only a few broken bones.

Everyone is different; every body reacts differently when placed under multiple stress.

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
Jmac88 #39444 08/05/14 09:46 AM
K
Ken Offline
K
To the friends and family of Dawson, my sympathy and condolences.

I appreciate that for many in your situation, the prime mover is a drive to understand what could have happened, in an attempt to find closure.

Speaking as a physician with expertise in high altitude medical issues, there some things that jumped out at me, that we know for sure.

We know that Dawson was last seen at about 3pm, on the last two miles of trail to the summit. We now know that he was headed up, since he was found on the other side of the peak. He attempted to send a message down that he was later than he thought he'd be.

He was very very late in getting to the top. Probably at least 4 hours behind when he should have summitted. This says to me that he was moving very slowly, and was impaired in some way.

We know that he was not wearing a pack (by report). This means that the amount of water that he could have had was very limited. There are no places to get more water on the hike, once above guitar lake tarns (lakelets), so he would have been doing a very dry hike with minimal water. The atmosphere at this altitude is exceedingly dry---it sucks water right out of you.

With no pack, he probably had no sunscreen for reapplication. The sun is very intense up there. If you sunburn in an hour at sea level, you burn in 11 minutes on the summit. This is often not appreciated. This leads to increased water requirements.

Finally, there is the issue of altitude. Although approaching from the west, he had much more opportunity for acclimatization, than from the east, unless a person has considerable experience at 14,000 feet and above, it is surprising to most how it effects the body, and particularly the brain. There is 1/3 less oxygen at this elevation, and it COMMONLY causes problems with thinking and reasoning.

But one more relevant factor is his age. This is something none of us can escape. There is an illusion that is created by a person who is older, but very fit.....which is that they perceive that their physiology is that of a younger person, when it is not. An older person is more susceptible to the above factors, but their conditioning allows them to "push through" the difficulties---to their own detriment.

I seriously doubt that Dawson was thinking in terms of a shortcut, although that is possible. The trail runs over in the general direction of that side of the mountain, and he may simply have gotten off and continued where he thought it went. We don't know if he got to the top. Perhaps he signed the register, perhaps not. He may have sat on the top for a considerable amount of time, but got turned around in terms of where to go. He may have had in mind "follow the sun", knowing his camp was east of the peak. We'll never know.

I suspect that his severe lateness involved several of these medical issues, taken together. Each problem tends to make the others worse, and when imposed on a older person, can really add up.

Re: Recovered: Missing Hiker in Sequoia National Park
SEKI News #39445 08/05/14 01:27 PM
J
J
Here are 2 pictures that have the coordinates of where my father was found should they be of any interest to anyone. These were sent from the guys at Sequoia who have been very helpful as well.

You will prob have to save and then zoom in.

SteveC edit: Changed to viewable pictures. Click on pic for original size.

Last edited by Steve C; 08/05/14 06:54 PM. Reason: update pictures
JJ5000 #39449 08/05/14 06:57 PM
S
S
Here is the Gmap4 / satellite view of the same location.
Note that Lat/Long N36 34.905, W118 17.805 converts to: 36.58175, -118.29675

Gmap4 Link

With the Gmap4 app, you can zoom out, or switch to topographic view (only it zooms out quite a bit). And you can click and drag around on the map to see the surrounding area.

A map/satellite view of the summit area has been added to the "Easy Walk Off" thread. It shows the routes people normally use when climbing/descending Mt Whitney.

Last edited by Steve C; 08/05/14 10:06 PM.
JJ5000 #39450 08/05/14 07:16 PM
K
Ken Offline
K
Jason, I believe that your pictures contain a clue.

However, it is very helpful to look at a better resolution picture of the area shown in picture 2:

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.5782229,-118.2963799,168m/data=!3m1!1e3

This is a "google maps" picture, which can be zoomed without loss of resolution.

What is shows is that the Main Mt Whitney Trail, (marked on this picture as "John Muir Trail"--which is correct), is located very near to the north side of the summit plateau, quite close to "the easy walk off" route along the north side, and which can be seen in the photo.

A comparison with the "photo 2" which marks the site of recovery reveals that the site is almost exactly below the sharp turn in the trail. It is a very sharp turn....almost 180 degrees, which would suggest to me a switchback. A very common error that hikers make, is to not realize they are at a switchback, and to continue on in a straight line. This is especially true going downhill. If he did that in confusion and partial light (he would be looking into the sun), it would take him to the edge of the north escarpment, where it would be easy to slip and fall.

If there is the evidence of him signing the summit register, then his fall would have been heading down, and I'm very suspicious that this describes his actions. It is possible that it could have happened on the way up, also, but I think that it would have been much more likely on the way down.

Amazingly, I believe that the videos that Steve C shot last week of that area of the mountain almost certainly contains the terrain in question. I believe that it would be in video number 7/8 in this thread:

http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthreads.php/topics/39194/Whitney_Mountaineers_Route_Eas#Post39194

I was particularly struck by Steve's commentary in video 8 in which he comments "I sure wouldn't want to be doing this with a full pack".

Ken #39453 08/05/14 10:14 PM
Bee Offline
I have added Steve C's fabulous compilation of how the various trails come together on the summit. I personally found this very helpful in acquainting myself with the area

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
SEKI News #39457 08/06/14 07:37 AM
T
T
fascinating videos and photos...really shows the enormity of the mountain, and the enormity of the situation.

Bee #39458 08/06/14 09:20 AM
W
W
Bee,

I've made mistakes that have caused long term injuries. That is just a part of this game. Some have been pure stupidity on my part, some just bad breaks. All with someone around. An extra brain or two around is a big deal.

Experience is suppose to teach us the risk reward equation. Sometimes we just brain cramp...I did it a few years ago glissading off Baden-Powell on too thin snow, in almost the same exact spot I severely sprained an ankle about 10 years prior doing a glissade with crampons on.

JJ5000 #39466 08/06/14 01:10 PM
JJ5000 - I was very saddened to hear of your loss.

Thank you for sharing the information you received regarding your father. It is very helpful for our community to learn about these type of events when they happen.

Not sure if this helps or not, but here is another image with contour lines showing the steepness of the terrain:

JJ5000 #39467 08/06/14 01:11 PM
Jason, the first photo tells us a lot. Dawson was found in the right hand area described here as class 4-5. We'll never know for sure what happened, but this is consistent with the speculation that he was looking for a shortcut back to camp. The photo you posted is taken straight on, and it makes the slope look much steeper than it is. While it's not trivial, that slope is nowhere near vertical, especially at the top. I'm confident that he was trying to climb down, and that he didn't just walk to the edge and fall off.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard