Next Thread
Print Thread
SF Bay Area training?
#42415 05/04/15 05:49 PM
A
Anya Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hey everyone, I'm new here. I was told to come pick everyone's brain here from a kind poster on r/mountaineering on reddit!
I will be attempting to summit on July 31, we just got our permits (overnight).
I live in the northern Bay area and have been climbing Mount Tam pretty regularly (2572 feet) from about 700 feet elevation at about a 9 mile round trip hike?
I know I should climb Mount Diablo for sure. What other helpful hikes with good elevation should I look into? I'm willing to drive down and camp someplace as well.

Thank you all so much in advance and I'm really enjoying reading everyones posts! smile

Anya

Re: SF Bay Area training?
Anya #42416 05/04/15 08:26 PM
Mt. Diablo for sure. That's my bay area "Training Mountain" for most big hikes these days. 5 times already this year.

I'm planning on a overnight camping trip with two full Diablo summit climbs before my Whitney attempt. Basically, that's a good approximation of the elevation gain, plus an overnight stay.

As for elevation, Mt Lassen is a good hike to see if you're likely to be affected by the altitude. Even if it's only to 10,000 feet it's a good test.

Some time in Yosemite climbing the Yosemite Falls trail or climbing up to Glacier point via 4-mile or Panoramic trail would be good, or Half dome.

WanderingJim #42419 05/04/15 11:39 PM
S
S
I've sometimes done a Half Dome hike a week or so before heading to Whitney. Mt Dana at Tioga Pass is another one you could almost do in a loong day from the Bay Area.

Just remember, all the training you can do will not be enough if the altitude gets you. Acclimating for 24 to 48 hours before starting the hike will help a lot. Acclimating includes hiking above 10k and sleeping at least 8k, or better, 10k elevation.

Anya #42423 05/05/15 09:12 AM
J
J
When I started training I found this awesome article that lists several hikes. The Henry Coe hike is certainly punishing, though far away from Northern Bay. If you find yourself down South, check out Henry Coe and the Limekiln trail.

Mount Whitney Training, Bay Area Edition

jpwilliams #42425 05/05/15 07:44 PM
Originally Posted By: jpwilliams
When I started training I found this awesome article that lists several hikes. The Henry Coe hike is certainly punishing, though far away from Northern Bay. If you find yourself down South, check out Henry Coe and the Limekiln trail.

Mount Whitney Training, Bay Area Edition

Damn you... I've had Henry Coe on my list to visit... now I'll just have to do it soon. smile smile
My feet spit in your general direction. smile

Anya #42428 05/06/15 09:42 AM
D
D
Yes, I'd try to get in hikes with more elevation change than 700 feet.

They are not so close to the North Bay, but here is a list of 'challenging' hikes from the East Bay Regional Park District: http://www.ebparks.org/activities/hiking/other_challenging_hikes . Mt. Diablo is included on that list. Not much shade there, so summer hikes can be hot.

The aformentioned Mission Peak is good for training with ~2100 of elevation gain over 3.1 mi one way from the Stanford Ave staging area in Fremont, though it is very busy on weekends. Monument can be had from Fremont as well. Ed Levin charges $5 parking, but it far less crowded, so you may prefer that access point.

I like Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park for training. There is about 1300 feet of elevation difference from Sunol to the peaks and lot's of ups and downs if you want some interval type training and/or more elevation change. Plus there is lot's of room for longer distance hikes.

For something different and closer to the North Bay, you could do the SF Stairways hikes which are usually about 10 miles long with hills and stairs. There is one this Saturday (5/9) at ~9 mi with ~2,500 of climbing. See http://stairwaywalks.blogspot.com/ .

I've done some good day hikes at Point Reyes. See http://www.nps.gov/pore/planyourvisit/hiking_guide.htm to get an idea of the wide variety.

The SF Sierra Club does a number of hikes in the Bay Area. See http://www.sierraclub.org/san-francisco-bay/activities-and-events-calendar. And there are several meet-up clubs too if you want even more.

Dave_Ayers #42430 05/06/15 05:11 PM
Here's one out of Sonoma Valley

http://jacklondonpark.com/jack-london-trail-bay-area-ridge.html

Distance, category, and difficulty:
This 7 mile out and back hike is moderate, with about 1500 feet in elevation change. Park elevation ranges from about 400 to nearly 2400 feet. The featured hike starts at the Beauty Ranch parking lot, at about 700 feet and climbs to 2100 feet, then descends back to the trailhead. Elevation changes are mostly gentle, with numerous switchbacks, but this is a long hike.

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
Anya #42433 05/07/15 02:30 PM
C
C
Hi Anya,

Mt Diablo is a great hike in the area. If you want to venture out, I enjoyed some hikes at Skyline Wilderness Park in Napa, and you can get some double-digit mileage in with respectable elevation gain as well. Plus, you're so close to some great food, wine and beer, which always helps my training programs laugh

Coit Lake at Henry Coe Park is a hike I have not done, but I know others who have. They all did it as an overnight (I think 11-12 miles each way), but I don't know anyone who's tried as a day hike. I'm sure it's a workout!

If you don't mind driving even further, there are some terrific hikes in the Sierra. Mt Tallac at south Lake Tahoe is a great day hike. When we lived in the American River area, we did lots of hikes there as well as north of I-80. Some beautiful landscape, and we never encountered many people outside of the immediate Lake Tahoe area. That's a bit of a haul from the Bay Area for regular hiking, but let me know if you'd like any recommendations!

Good luck and have fun with your training!

Chris B #42443 05/08/15 07:40 AM
B
B
Mt. Diablo is probably the best hike in the Bay Area for preparing for Whitney (as far as continuous vertical ascent), but I don't consider it a sufficient prep hike. Rather I use it as a starting point for doing a couple of sierra hikes before Whitney. Usually one in Yosemite (Half Dome or Clouds Rest), and Kings Canyon (Granite Pass or Kennedy Pass).

Those hikes will simulate the distance and total elevation gain of Whitney (but not the altitude of course, but then it's much better than sea level starting points in the Bay Area), and it's a reasonable drive away (Yosemite about 4 hours and Kings Canyon 5 hours). I leave around 2 AM to do those day hikes.

Ideally though it would be best to do a multi-day Sierra hike of 3 days or so, a week or two before Whitney to be better acclimated. The acclimation won't wear off completely before then and you should be recovered (and better fit) as well.

Last year as an alternative to Diablo, I did a loop hike around the Lucas Valley-Big Rock ridge line (the ridges along both sides of Lucas Valley road), which was about 14 miles and 3300 feet of total elevation gain (about the same as Diablo). Although it's not one continuous up and and then down, I don't think it's any less effective than if it were (after all, there is no acclimation benefit in any case). So beautiful loop hikes with all the Whitney distance and accent numbers can be easily drawn up and hiked in the Bay Area, as long as you're OK that it's going to be several ups and downs.

Last edited by bruce; 05/08/15 07:48 AM.
Anya #42448 05/09/15 02:18 PM
C
C
Lots of good suggestions...locally, just find long & steep and push yourself up it, then go for altitude acclimatization in the Sierra closer to summit time as weather allows...then make sure you have a good block of time at 10K+ altitude immediately before the actual attempt, and bring Diamox anyway.

Half Dome is open early which makes permits easier to come by, if late-season snow doesn't ruin your plans. You can do that as a dayhike for 4800' and some early elevation exposure. Clouds Rest from the valley is longer/higher, but no permit required...can do from Tenaya Lake as well, but it's a cakewalk.

Mt. St Helena via Oat Hill Mine/Palisades is a good climb

Berryessa Peak: http://www.yolohiker.org/trails/knoxville/BPT/index.html

I like the Mitchell Canyon side of Diablo...head up Cardinet, Olympia, East/Zippe trails and make a 3-5 peak circuit among Olympia, North, Diablo main, Eagle & Twin. Trails mentioned, along with the short North Peak access road, border on insanely steep.

Also in Diablo east-side area: Las Trampas preserve. If there's a mile of flat trail here, I haven't found it. Opportunities for self-inflicted ass-kickings abound here.

Henry Coe SP (don't confuse with Henry Cowell) is far but a real jackpot for training--in fact I sometimes feel Mt Whitney is good training for Coe. The Mt. Sizer shortcut up Hobbs Rd from Middle Fork Coyote Crk is the most infamously brutal jeep-road grade: something like 1500ft in 1.2 miles. Doing anything substantial (Sizer, e.g.) from park HQ (2600' elev) will require coming back up a long grade like Poverty Flat at the end, which adds a lot of suffering on a hot dry afternoon when you're already tired. There are other worthy climbs, like Steer Ridge or Middle Steer Ridge to Mt Willson via the more accessible and low-elevation Hunting Hollow entrance. Bear Mtn Road is also murderously steep in places. Possibilities abound for 15-25-mi loops--Kelly, Coit & Missisippi lakes; Pacheco Falls, China Hole/Narrows, Rockhouse Ridge...

Uvas Canyon: "Knibbs Knob" is a sandbagging name for a tough climb.

Pinnacles Pig Fence: on a hot day, break out the heavy gardening gloves and hike North Chalone Peak via the "pig fence", then drop to the reservoir and hike the High Peaks loop. If you're careful the barbed wire fence of the Chalone ascent won't cut you, but it will hurt: something like 2500' in 2 miles as you cling to the fence up the 35-40% pitches.

Mission Peak from Stanford Ave--mentioned already, but take Peak Meadow/Horse Heaven route to go even steeper and avoid crowds. For bonus, descend backside to Sunol and then come back for double elevation. Monument/Allison from Ed Levin is a variation on the same theme...steep, hot, & [sun]-exposed

Ohlone Wilderness Trail from Del Valle thru Williams Gulch & up Big Burn to the Schlieper Rock/Jonny's Pond area will have you swearing...continuing on to Rose or Murietta Falls is optional for distance.

Black Mtn (2812') in Los Altos (Rancho San Antonio starting from Rhus Ridge trailhead off Moody) is 2300' in just under 5 miles for a 10mile out/back.

Montara Mtn from Gray Whale Cove is fairly steep if you take the use trail shortcuts...popular workout, but I don't find it all that challenging.

Priest Rock from Lexington Reservoir: 2000' gain in an 8-mi out-and-back... scrubby, hot & uninspiring.

Cone Peak via Sea-to-Sky: Drive down to Limekiln St Park near Lucia, dip a toe in the Pacific, then head up the old Twitchell Flat road from Hwy 1 to the base of Stone Ridge, then go straight up the use trail to Twin Peak then Cone Peak. Come back down same way and try not to fall! Trekking poles recommended. That's about 6000' in 6 miles and it's as painful as it sounds...glorious views, though.

One practical suggestion, join a group like INCH or the San Jose, Sonoma/Marin long distance, and Monterey hiking meetups. These all do long, hard hikes at >3mph pace, at least with particular organizers. Be forewarned that many other area meetups will often hike very slowly, taking long breaks and waiting around interminably at trail junctions for laggards, none of which is optimal for MW training.

bruce #42453 05/11/15 01:49 PM
A
Anya Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Bruce:
I actually did that Lucas Valley loop a while back as it's over the hill from my house. There was a lot of climb but I wasn't in my hiking boots so it was a bit of a struggle in some old beat up Nikes!!

cantare #42454 05/11/15 01:51 PM
A
Anya Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks Cantare! I'm filling up my schedule as we speak. I've done Mt Tam the past few weekends just for some extra training because of birthday parties getting in the way and now I'm running up the uphill jaunts. I need something a little more challenging so I will be adding in a ton of these!

Anya #42455 05/11/15 03:17 PM
L
L
If you're regularly hiking Mt. Tam, I presume you're familiar with the double dipsea course, which would give you ~4500 ft vertical over 14 miles as an out and back from either stinson beach or mill valley. I agree with most of the east bay/south bay suggestions and would add Montara Mountain in Pacifica, which has awesome views. Check out Brazen Racing, Inside Trail Racing and Coastal Trail Runs for more ideas - they all organize Bay Area trail races and have course maps with elevation profiles posted online. For a very long day trip or a weekend I'd recommend Rocky Canyon trail to Pyramid Peak - the unmarked trailhead near Strawberry on Hwy 50 is hard to find, but it climbs 4000+ feet in <4 miles, so it's longer and steeper than anything in the Bay Area, as well as higher (9983ft summit).

Anya #42570 05/19/15 06:33 PM
B
B
Originally Posted By: Anya
Bruce:
I actually did that Lucas Valley loop a while back as it's over the hill from my house. There was a lot of climb but I wasn't in my hiking boots so it was a bit of a struggle in some old beat up Nikes!!

Nice to hear Anya! I really enjoyed it, but maybe that's not such a good thing because Diablo seemed harder and training for Whitney is supposed to be hard!

Anya #42654 05/23/15 02:10 PM
V
V
I live in bay area and would like to go if you have space in your group. I went half way (till Trail Camp) last year as day hike.

Venu #42658 05/24/15 11:08 AM
A
Anya Offline OP
OP Offline
A
you're welcome to climb with us, but we only have a 3 person permit and we are three. If you have a permit, lemme know and we will meet up! I'd love to meet up with some people who have done it before even just to Trail Camp!

Anya #43627 07/22/15 08:40 AM
N
N
I know your Whitney trip is just a few days away, but for anyone else in the Bay Area I'd like to add Bald Mountain in Sugarloaf Park, just east of Santa Rosa, to the list. From the parking lot to the summit and looping back on the Gray Pine trail is about 7 miles with ~1600' elevation gain, but much of that is sustained steepness, and there are some spots near the summit that are extremely steep. The descent also contains some steep sections that are good training for rocky / sketchy conditions where poles are required.

Link Copied to Clipboard