Next Thread
Print Thread
Mt. Baldy questions...
#42724 05/28/15 12:30 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Hello-

Two quick questions if anyone can help me...

1) I have a small group hiking this Sunday. Likely taking the Ski Hut Trail. Any updates on snow conditions?

2) Does anyone know if the Bear Canyon trail is open yet post flood from over a year ago?

Thank you!

Mike

Re: Mt. Baldy questions...
Mike Kennedy #42725 05/28/15 01:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Mike Kennedy
Hello-

Two quick questions if anyone can help me...

1) I have a small group hiking this Sunday. Likely taking the Ski Hut Trail. Any updates on snow conditions?

2) Does anyone know if the Bear Canyon trail is open yet post flood from over a year ago?

Thank you!

Mike

2) - It's officially close still, but people are using it. You could however get a ticket if someone from the Forest Service wants to give you one.

From Facebook

Quote:

I checked in with the ranger before going out, his exact words were "technically it's closed, but no one is going to stop you". He said just be smart and know your capabilities. It's a tough hike in general, but the trail has been washed out, so unless you know this is something you can deal with, I wouldn't go. That being said, it was my first time on Baldy, we had fresh snow fall, and I had no trouble finding my way to the summit, or back down.

Mike Kennedy #42734 05/28/15 11:36 PM
Was up there Memorial Day from Manker Flats to Harwood via Devil's Backbone. A few patches off trail, and on the north side of Baldy/Harwood. No problem at all.

http://hikinginsocal.blogspot.com/2015/05/mount-harwood-9555-from-san-antonio.html

"Come and Let Us Climb the Lord's Mountain!" -Isaiah 2:5
Instagram: @jeesparza33

SanGorgonioHiker #42885 06/03/15 02:20 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Thank you very much for answering my questions. It was helpful. We ended up having a good day as a group and got up and down safely.

I on the other hand struggled. Coming into the hike I was extremely prepared. I've hiked Baldy maybe 15 times and Whitney 3. I have never had any real issues outside of a mild headache above 13K.

Yet this past Sunday I was struggling. I kept trying to fix it with hydration, nutrition, tempo etc. All the tricks that usually work. I suspect I had mild AMS and it started at 7000 ft. Yet these symptoms were different. I had no headache and a good appetite. I just felt extremely heavy and listless. I was out of breath constantly.

In all it was pretty discouraging and I don't look forward to putting myself in that position again.

Link Copied to Clipboard