Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 261 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: A Walk in the Woods - It's Finally Almost Here!
Bulldog34 #44277 09/11/15 08:00 PM
S
S
Originally Posted By: Bulldog34
Just got back from seeing the flick with my wife, and we agreed Hollywood has bungled another fine book. The cinematography was great, the casting good, but many of the things that made the book so wonderful were either glossed over or missing completely. The humor is all contained in the trailer - nothing really new in the movie.

At the point where we were introduced to Grizzlies roaming Virginia's Shenandoah (or maybe it was the Smokies - the progression was very unclear), I was tempted to get up and call it a night . . .

Without Bryson's book as a reference point, probably not a bad movie overall, as movies go nowadays. Just not the pop to the storylines that the book contained. I suspect that the huge increase in traffic that the PCT and JMT saw this summer with the Wild effect will be duplicated on the AT next year due to this flick. And that's a shame. The AT is uber-busy as it is and cannot handle a significant increase in traffic - especially more clueless, wanna-be-Redford traffic - without something giving.

Too bad you didn't really enjoy it.

But then, you have to admit, you're not the demographic they're aiming for. You have way too much outdoor hiking/backpacking experience compared to their targets.

We'll have to see how the general public receives it.

Grizzlies, eh?

Steve C #44279 09/12/15 03:40 AM
OP Offline
It wasn't so much that, Steve, as completely omitting so many key points in the book that made it such a wonderful read. Bryson told numerous - usually hilarious - stories about his partner Katz, the characters they met along the way, his observations of culture and trail-building; and they were either missing or were so watered down as to be as good as MIA. It was really these anecdotes and sidebars that made AWitW so different from most of the other I-found-myself long trail books.

As to the hiking technicalities, yeah, there were a few head-scratchers. Two old guys covering hundreds of miles of steep trail wearing heavy packs - with trekking poles always strapped on but never in use. Numerous scenes where they dropped their loaded 85l packs, and the packs were obviously light as a feather. Meeting an AT SoBo in April in Georgia (implying an early-winter start in Maine). A movie about through-hiking the AT that had precious little hiking in it. Sequences were screwy as well. Somehow the iconic AT plaque on Springer Mountain that begins the trail got moved several dozen miles north past Neel's Gap. McAfee Knob in Virginia (the jaw-dropping ledge overlook) either moved a couple of hundred miles north or they were cluelessly hiking southbound for weeks. If that dramatic, narrow, exposed section where they took a tumble and spent the night "trapped" really exists, I'd like to know where it is. Other than the obligatory bear scene, zero wildlife was depicted.

Those were nuisances, and unfortunately expected in a Hollywood rendition of a book, but the scene where two Grizzlies invaded their camp . . . Barb and I looked at each other and said, "those are Grizzlies" in unison at about the same time Redford shouts, "Grizzlies!" Might as well have a T-Rex come roaring out of the southern woods. How much research do you have to do to know the only wild Grizzlies in the Lower 48 are clustered around Yellowstone/Glacier and spottily along the Canadian border?

As I said, though, the cinematography was great - the many scenes in Georgia were spot-on and clearly filmed on location. The Virginia scenery was outstanding. The casting was good - Nolte may not have been the perfect Katz as pictured in the book, but he handled the role well, as did Redford. This was Redford's movie, though, from start to finish, and he worked on it many years. I expected a more accurate representation of the book's special character and was disappointed.

Looking forward to the release of Everest next week. I hear the cinematography is mind-blowing.

Bulldog34 #44289 09/15/15 03:47 PM
Neither my wife or I have read the book, or even knew anything about it, so when we went to see the movie we had no expectations as to content. We did know from the ads and trailers that it was a "feel good" movie, and with Redford, Nolte, Steenburgen, and Thompson we felt it was something we would enjoy.

We were not disappointed. Even though some of the lines were familiar (e.g. Katz's comment on how he "wasted" 1/2 of his life), they were delivered so well that we laughed out loud.

For us, it was an entertaining 90 minutes. So, perhaps Steve's comment about the target audience is good.

Based on some of your comments I may even go out and buy the book to see what I missed.

John Sims #44378 09/27/15 10:51 AM
Saw it last night. Watered down and over aged, did the book great injustice. Another phoned-in performance by Redford. Nolte's movie from the moment he appears. And c'mon: Grizzlies? Two seventy-somethings fall 50 feet and pick themselves right up? And its a miracle that someone else happened along the AT to save them? April in one shot and full summer the next day? Only guys on the trail over 30? Is Mary Steenburgen aging backwards?

Should have been Paul Giamatti and Oliver Platt.

Next . . . "EVEREST"!!!

Last edited by saltydog; 09/27/15 10:57 AM.

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard