Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Avalanche fatality: Mike Meyers
#44824 11/18/15 03:27 PM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Edit: Subject changed

A friend of Mike's alerted me to this, from the UCLA Daily Bruin

Quote:
UCLA graduate student reported missing

Michael Meyers, a UCLA graduate student in physics, was reported missing Sunday night. He was last known to be hiking in the Sierra Nevada mountain range.

Catherine Meyers, Meyers’ mother, said her son planned to climb Mount Russell or Mount Whitney on Nov. 6. She added she reported his disappearance to the Inyo County Sheriff's Department Sunday night, and contacted university police Monday.

Meyers, 25, was expected to return to UCLA for his studies Nov. 9. His family last heard from him Nov. 8, said David Meyers, the student's father.

The Inyo County Sheriff's dispatcher Faith Felton said officers are still looking for Meyers.

Catherine Meyers said her son left UCLA alone on Nov. 5, and has previously hiked in the region.

William Meyers, the student's brother, said Meyers often participates in extreme outdoor adventures. He added Meyers has not been online on Facebook for nine days.

"Michael and I talk every day on Facebook, so when he wasn't on Facebook for about a week I started becoming concerned," William Meyers said.

Catherine Meyers said she initially thought it was normal for Meyers to not call for a few days, and thought he was busy preparing for the American Physical Society conference he planned to attend this week.

David Meyers said he doesn't think there is any reason to believe Meyers would intentionally disappear or cut off communications.

Nancy Greenstein, a UCPD spokesperson, said UCPD officers will assist with the search, but the Inyo County Sheriff's Department search and rescue team is leading the investigation.

David Meyers added police and forest rangers have been actively searching the Sierra Nevada area, but have not been able to find Meyers' car, a 2002 gray Dodge Durango with California license plate number 7DIB540.

"Any little piece of information will help," David Meyers said. "We just want to make sure he gets home safe."

Anyone with information about Michael Meyers can call the Inyo County Sheriff's Department at (760) 878-0383, UCPD at (310) 825-1491 or David Meyers at (320) 249-1222.

Re: Missing person: Mike Meyers
Steve C #44825 11/18/15 03:33 PM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
From http://www.kibskbov.com/missing-person-ucla-student-michael-meyers/:

Quote:
Missing Person: UCLA student Michael Meyers

November 16, 2015

UCLA grad student Michael Meyers is missing

by Arnie Palu

Michael Meyers is a graduate student at UCLA. His mother Catherine contacted KIBS/KBOV radio in an effort to located her son. According to Catherine, Michael went hiking in the Mt. Russell/Mt Whitney area on Friday, November 6th. Meyers was expected back at UCLA on Monday, November 9th. Meyers and his 2002 gray Dodge Durango remain missing. Catherine is assuming Michael left for his hike from Whitney Portal. The gray Dodge Durango has California license plates, 7DIB540. If you have any information on Meyers or the vehicle, please contact local law enforcement.

Inyo County Sheriff Bill Lutze indicates that local officers checked the Whitney Portal and Onion Valley trail heads and Meyers' vehicle was not found.

Meyers is a native of St. Cloud Minnesota.

Steve C #44826 11/18/15 06:48 PM
Is there a permit on record?

Without a permit, and without a vehicle, it seems unlikely he is in the Sierra.

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
saltydog #44827 11/18/15 06:53 PM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I am suspecting a serious auto accident -- it is possible for a car to crash into a ravine and not be found for a long time.

saltydog #44828 11/18/15 07:02 PM
I'm with you, Steve but it could have occurred anywhere between the trailhead and Westwood. Don't know why the search is limited to Inyo. This story, like so many others, is full of holes.

The top story says he was going to hike on the 6th, return on the 9th and that he was "last heard from on the 8th." 6th was Friday, 8th was Sunday. Story doesn't say what the family heard on Sunday, but its pretty reasonable that he was no longer in the mountains, but headed back down and back to Westwood. He could be anywhere.

SPOTMe!
Steve C #44829 11/18/15 10:53 PM
S
S
The question is for everyone in SAR , did he make it to the Whitney Portal area at all . If so, then the question would be is he still in the High country or did he make it out. A vehicle crash to or from would explain alot ....... So.... " we are going to have to wait ".... for any bread crumb to help out .... asap . gst

Sierra Angler #44830 11/18/15 11:34 PM
"Yu said Myers showed him a live webcam site showing snowed-in, cloud-shrouded mountains."

See the video here

Verum audaces non gerunt indusia alba. - Ipsi dixit MCMLXXII
wagga #44831 11/18/15 11:50 PM
N
N
From http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/...-351607931.html:

"Inyo County Sheriff's Department said Wednesday at 10:15 p.m. that the vehicle was found abandoned around 4 p.m. on a side road near the entrance to the Mount Whitney trail."

NoUglyOneYet #44833 11/19/15 07:20 AM
S
S
Thanks NoUglyOneYet and Wagga ! The bread crumbs show a vehicle at WP. So Mike is still in there and ....if still alive in very bad shape in Dire Need of Medical Assistance / Evacuation . I would not want anyone to be in that position on Mount Russel.. I have been up Russel in winter and there is nothing easy about it , even in summer.Once you turn north and leave the packed Mt Whitney trail..it is all white post holing cross county up the canyon to the face of Russel and then back down. There is Hope and it is on a waning clock . gst

Last edited by Sierra Angler; 11/19/15 07:24 AM.
Steve C #44835 11/19/15 09:28 AM
S
S
I wonder route he planned on taking up Russell. The S. Face would be the longest, but least exposed.

It's such a big and multi-faceted peak that there will be a lot to search...

Def praying for his safe return.

@jjoshuagregory (Instagram) for mainly landscape and mountain pics
Snacking Bear #44837 11/19/15 12:21 PM
M
M
Does anyone know why it has taken so many days for this sad situation be known to the public? In the past it seems SAR and others are looking for a missing hiker much sooner. Maybe they have been searching.

If I'm reading correctly the last contact was approx. 11 days ago. Forgive my ignorance, but why the apparent delay?

Steve C #44838 11/19/15 02:15 PM
M
M
Called family and got some answers (red) to the below questions.

Why weren't the outdoor community forums alerted to this early on?

Family was out of state, contacted LE 11/15.

Is the source confirmed that states that the family was contacted on 11/8? This could be a key piece of evidence in narrowing down Mikes location at the time.

Yes, Mike texted his parents.

Was he planning a day hike or overnight trip?

Day hike.

Did he leave his proposed routes for Whitney of Russell on the computer or maybe in Secor's book, or maybe another friend outside of his immediate circle of friends?

Left an itinerary, Mike had planned to day hike Russell.

Have wilderness permits been checked to see if anyone else was out at the same time Mike was, even if they entered from another trailhead?

Some have been pulled.

Have flyers been posted in the area?

Don't know.

What was Mikes experience? What gear did he have with him (descriptions), does he have wilderness first-aid experience?

Experienced, had all the gear to deal with conditions.

Last edited by Maverick; 11/19/15 03:30 PM.
Maverick #44839 11/19/15 03:11 PM
L
L
Hi Maverick,

From news reports, I've pieced together this very rough timeline. While it definitely should be taken with a large grain of salt, it may explain why this wasn't publicized until this week. Updated with new info Maverick got from the family.

• Thurs Nov 5th: Meyers drives away from LA to go hiking
  • Weekend of Nov 6-8 -- acclimating
  • Sunday Nov 8th -- texts his family
  • Monday Nov 9th -- planned to climb Mt. Irvine and maybe Mt. LeConte
  • week of Monday Nov 9th -- his family doesn't hear from him but think he's busy preparing for Nov 14th physics conference.
  • Saturday Nov 14th -- he doesn't show up for physics conference, which was an important event that he would not have willingly missed. With his family's permission, his friends hack into his computer to find out more about his plans
  • Sunday Nov 15th -- his family reports him missing to Inyo County Sheriff's Department
  • Monday Nov 16th -- his family reports him missing to UCLA Police Department (UCPD)
  • Monday Nov 16th -- Inyo County Sheriff's Department indicates they've checked Whitney Portal and Onion Valley trail heads and didn't find Meyers' vehicle.
  • Wednesday, Nov 18th, 4pm -- Meyers' vehicle is found on side road near Whitney trail head.

Last edited by LAhiker; 11/19/15 06:31 PM.
Steve C #44840 11/19/15 06:51 PM
M
M

Maverick #44842 11/20/15 12:27 AM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Pictures from Nov 9 webcam:   Whitney-151109-webcam

click for the full-size picture.

LAhiker #44845 11/20/15 06:43 AM
Initial info was that he was expected back on the 9th. Now the plan was actually do the hike on the 9th? Seems like the key info would be

What did the text of the 8th actually say, and
Where was the car found? (A "side road near the entrance to the Mt Whitney Trail?" I don't know what place that describes. Mesan TH?)

Last edited by saltydog; 11/20/15 07:03 AM.

SPOTMe!
Maverick #44848 11/20/15 07:46 AM
S
S
Thanks for digging up the details, Maverick and LA Hiker ! I have gone up Mt Irvine , climbed up and rescued a couple guys 40 years ago ( we put them on a China Lake bird and they were in the Hospital that night and survived ( exposure , etc. from stuck on the face a few days) The whole arena area around there is full of loose rock . I do not mean to put a damper on things , however in most of our Operations .....with this amount of time passed and his plans being on a one day ascent.....we may be looking at a recovery mission right now. I hope to God that I am wrong, but this is 10 days now,for a fine young man at altitude with a few power bars, water bottle, and ascent clothes only. The grains of sand in the search hour glass ( His possible life force ) are but a few now, and dropping out. We can only hope and pray that a miracle will bring Mike out alive. gst

Sierra Angler #44850 11/20/15 10:45 AM
L
L
Sierra Angler, I appreciate your perspective and hopes. I agree that given the time that has passed, it doesn't look good, but I find information from Maverick over on the High Sierra Topix thread somewhat heartening:

Quote:
Info as of 4:30pm, 11/19.

- Mike drove up to the Portal area on 11/5, he planned to acclimate for a few days

- He planned on doing Mt. Irvine, and if time permitted Mt. LeConte as a day hike on the 9th, not Russell on the 8th as previously reported

- Experienced, and had all the gear to successful complete hike, and to survive in the elements

- Texted his parents on 11/8, basic greeting, no info

- Left route information, planned on using "East Chute" route of Mt.Irvine

- Some wilderness permits were pulled and checked

- Has a -40 degree parka (red & black), black pants, and black boots, no further information available, did numerous -40/-50 degree outings in MN, where he is from originally

This also addresses one of Saltydog's questions -- the text was apparently uninformative. I don't know exactly where the SUV was found.

Here's a link to the HST thread:
http://www.highsierratopix.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13716#p102757

Thanks to Steve C for the Whitney web cam photos.

Last edited by LAhiker; 11/20/15 10:53 AM.
LAhiker #44856 11/21/15 09:34 PM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
On HST, Maverick reported:
Quote:
Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:07 am
Mikes dad e-mailed me last night, his helmet was found, no further info is known on where it was found, let's hope this leads to them finding Mike soon!

Steve C #44860 11/22/15 03:29 AM
Latest from HST is that the recovery operation is complete, with sad results.

From a family member: "The SAR crews have concluded their rescue mission. I have the overwhelmingly unbearable news to report that Michael did not make it out alive from the Meysan lake area."

Verum audaces non gerunt indusia alba. - Ipsi dixit MCMLXXII
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard