Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 212 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
First Timer Overnight on Main Trail in October.
#46729 06/18/16 12:45 PM
R
OP Offline
R
Hi Everyone,

I won the dates for an overnight on the main trail in October 6 through October 7. I've done some studying about the trail and have been training for it, but I am a little wary about the weather and the possibility of snow. Anybody gone up in October either beginning or late? Advice and suggestions?

Re: First Timer Overnight on Main Trail in October.
rheena_banana #46730 06/18/16 01:54 PM
R
R
Last year I was up in mid September and mid October, and had to turn back due to snowy conditions. I was solo both times. In mid October I made it past the cables, but there was snow on the ground, plus it was snowing. My advice would be that after September be ready for anything. The weather can change so rapidly you should bring most of your gear to Lone Pine and then decide the day before on what to bring up. Use each time you go up use as a learning experience. Good luck on your day.

rheena_banana #46735 06/18/16 11:05 PM
S
S
Daylight hours in October are way less compared to summer, so that is another effect.

Watch the weather closely -- if it is clear and no storms coming, then you should go. But otherwise, cancel your trip. Any storm coming in at that time should not be underestimated -- as Randy pointed out, he decided to turn around.

It is likely there will already be some snow on the trail, but hikers will usually pack it down several days after the storm.

The mountain will always be there, so you can try for the lottery again next year. In fact, any other year, I would suggest that you try earlier in the summer for a walk-in permit. They are pretty easy to get, especially mid-week. Only this year, with the parking restrictions due to road construction, walk-in requests don't get a parking permit for Whitney Portal. Parking will be back to normal next year.

If you continually watch Recreation.gov for permits, especially in the week following the current date, a few good people will actually release their reserved slots if they can't hike, and you can reserve a permit. Reserved permits will get you a parking permit at Whitney Portal. Here's a link for Sept 1, you can bookmark it, or change the date within the link as you need:
http://www.recreation.gov/permits/Mt_Whi...amp;entryType=1

rheena_banana #46766 06/20/16 12:37 PM
S
S
just fyi, there're 3 open spots for Jun 28-29 overnight trip.

rheena_banana #46774 06/21/16 07:52 AM
H
H
I hiked the MT on Oct 18 two years ago, it was freezing at trail camp but no snow, so it was easier on the footing. Just cold and windy mostly that day. Last year I summited on October 3rd and it was cold and windy and later that night it snowed and didn't stop. A few people got rescued that night/week but I made it down that evening with no prob. this year the snow is hanging around longer so who knows what it will be like! I am hiking the MT on Sept 10 this year. Just be prepared for cold and wind, possible snow and early sunset.

-Dan

Link Copied to Clipboard