Next Thread
Print Thread
Summit Shelter Mystery
#47024 07/14/16 11:44 AM
J
jburnos Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I hit the summit for the second time last Thursday. Today is my one week anniversary, and I have already forgotten all of the pain with the day hike and am missing the top.

I had a quick question that I have not been able to find on any of the message boards or web sites about Whitney. This may seem like a dumb questions, but does anyone know what is locked up in the other half of the summit shelter? I noticed the windows and door locked up, and was curious what might be kept there? I didn't think to ask the parks dept before I left, but was still curious if anyone knows.

Thanks for any replies.

J

Re: Summit Shelter Mystery
jburnos #47030 07/14/16 07:28 PM
B
B
Over the years since it's construction, it has been used for various science projects. It might contain NPS equipment or nothing. There are actually three rooms in the shelter, only one of which is open to the public.

Scattered around the high Sierra Nevada there are many snow-survey cabins, containing food, beds, stoves, etc. but the Whitney shelter not listed as a snow-survey cabin.

Here is an article about the shelter:

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMHQQV_Smithsonian_Institution_Shelter_Mt_Whitney_CA

Then, scroll down and click on "NRHP Nomination form" to see an image of the original nomination form for the shelter, which describes the interior of the shelter.

Last edited by Bob West; 07/14/16 07:52 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard