Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 22 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail
OlegB #47070 07/20/16 10:11 AM
S
S
Oleg,
Here's my two cents...

We hiked it a week ago and one person with us wore running shoes because he forgot his boots by mistake. He had no problems with traction on the snow. There are only two places where you are on snow and they are small areas. As long as you have poles and go slow, you should be o.k. Having said that though, I myself need a boot as opposed to a shoe. I have had some problems with my feet and there are many places where you are walking and navigating over sharp rocks. Even with my boots my feet took a beating, especially on the way down. The other persons in our party had no problems so it's all about how sensitive your feet are.

In regards to the water on the switchbacks, it's not a problem in the morning but in the afternoon, it was flowing pretty good in a few places. However, you're still able to stay out of the water if you're careful.

OlegB #47071 07/20/16 01:40 PM
P
P
Thanks, Oleg! It seems like you got a pretty good answer but I'll pipe in - I don't wear hiking boots. I was wearing Adidas Trail Runners (gsg9) and had no problems. I do have to say it gets a little rough on the ankles with a pack but I found no problems with crossings and hiking in general. Just make sure they have good traction and fit well, you know, the usual. Trekking poles - YES!

Enjoy the trail!

Pallerie #47072 07/20/16 02:01 PM
O
O
Awesome! Thanks so much Pallerie for your response! Good to know that trail runners would work and that there is no need in bringing microspikes! I plan on using my La Sportiva Bushidos to save my feet. They are not new anymore, but should work for the trip. Excited to be on that trail in two days!

Thanks again,
Oleg

Steve C #47076 07/21/16 01:54 PM
A
A
Can someone get a picture of the chute?

May go up the switchbacks and descend the chute.

adventurer456 #47112 07/24/16 10:38 PM
B
B
Made it to the summit today. Weather was perfect. I wanted to thank everyone for providing information to make
This happen. Also is there a lost and found?

Briang191 #47118 07/25/16 12:29 AM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
No lost and found here. Did you lose or find something?

Edit: You can call the Visitor Center or the Wilderness Permit office, but with sunglasses, I doubt anyone would turn them in.

I only take cheap sunglasses on hikes -- because they get lost so easily.

Last edited by Steve C; 07/25/16 08:42 AM.
Steve C #47121 07/25/16 05:29 AM
B
B
I lost a pair of sunglasses

Steve C #47125 07/25/16 08:31 AM
P
P
Summited Saturday July 23rd, coming up from Guitar Lake and back down on the main trail.
Of course, no snow left on the West side but a significant amount of water on the lower portion of the Western switchbacks. The only patch on snow on the trail is near the summit, the usual. However, it is very easy to navigate. No traction necessary. I saw plenty of tennis shoes and even sandals make it to the summit...
Coming down on the Eastern side, there is no snow left on the trail. Only a couple of patches above and below the cables but they are next to the trail, hugging the granite walls. Still plenty of water on the trail and the switchbacks.
All creek crossings were a breeze.

OlegB #47161 07/28/16 06:07 AM
B
B
Originally Posted By: OlegB
Awesome! Thanks so much Pallerie for your response! Good to know that trail runners would work and that there is no need in bringing microspikes! I plan on using my La Sportiva Bushidos to save my feet. They are not new anymore, but should work for the trip. Excited to be on that trail in two days!

Thanks again,
Oleg

How was the hike in the la sportiva Bushido? The Bushido was my original choice when planning to hike Whitney. I completed the hike in a pair of la sportiva trango trk gtx.

Steve C #47185 08/01/16 02:48 PM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
There is a useful report here in the Road Construction thread:

http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthreads...&#Post47182

Tips on electrolytes, wag bags (and marmots), and parking.

Sara Keenan #47969 08/09/16 08:04 PM
I
I
Thank you, Sara! Just saw your note today. Hope you had fun hiking Mt Whitney. How did it go? I tried to climb Mt Rainier after Whitney but had to turn back after a fall on the summit night while approaching Disappointment Cleaver. I am fine and will go back some other day. The mountain will always be there us. Have a great day.

Steve C #48102 08/13/16 09:07 PM
T
T
Summitted yesterday...

Stating the obvious here, but zero issues, snow, or obstructions on the trail. Temps were very nice, 95% of the day I was in a t-shirt and gym shorts. Still enough water flowing on the way up the switchbacks to easily collect in case that is helpful, the lake right next to Trail Camp seemed a bit stagnant, I was planning on collecting water there, but opted to skip.

The Marmots are in full effect - one tried, literally, to steal a protein bar out of my wife's hand when she looked away. She screamed in my face, causing me to scream, which gave everyone in the vicinity a good laugh. We met some backpackers who came up from Guitar Lake and dropped their bags at the "corner" just past/below trail crest. When we returned, a marmot had chewed through a pocket in his bag to get at an empty wrapper. In another case, someone stashed their bag behind a rock on the back trail before the summit. A marmot absolutely destroyed/shredded the pack.

Thanks everyone who provided information on this site, I would not have successfully summited without the help.

Briang191 #48154 08/18/16 08:25 PM
O
O
Sorry for the late response. Bushidos worked perfectly well even with my 30lb backpack to the Trail Camp and back! My wife was wearing Her La Sportiva Raptors and she was very happy with that choice!

Steve C #48194 08/23/16 08:10 AM
F
F
Happy Tuesday!

Our group of 4 reached the summit on Sunday before the weather rolled in. Temperatures were manageable at trail camp with highs in the mid 70s and lows in the 40s. Summit temps were mid to low 40s around 8am with a light wind. Overall the trail was in great shape with no issues or obstructions -- water was flowing, as earlier stated by another member, around the 23-25th switchback. Marmots were rarely seen on the topmost ledges of trail camp where we were setup but we hung our packs with some rope over a steep rock just to be safe.

Everything went as planned aside from our group witnessing an elderly gentleman take a fall just below trail side meadow. Fortunately he was not too badly hurt -- laceration to the lower leg and arm as well as a broken finger. We were able to clean and bandage the wounds and I fast packed out to find a ranger for additional assistance. Fortunately one was not far from Outpost however upon relaying that there was an injured elderly hiker with the aforementioned injuries an unknown disposition he seemed more interested in questioning us on our permit and wag bag usage. A bit disconcerting to say the least.

Despite that and after some additional assistance we were all able to help walk the gentleman down to the portal before the storm rolled in and get him a ride to a local hospital for further evaluation.

A unique ending but a solid reminder that anything can happen. Be safe and enjoy the journey.

Frankie Bones #48210 08/25/16 05:10 PM
T
T
Nice report!

Is this THE REAL Franky Bones by any chance?

Steve C #48248 08/29/16 10:08 PM
C
C
Summited on the 26th with a group of 4. Trail looked great thanks to the 2 awesome rangers who constantly maintain it. We started the ascend on Thursday and there weren't that many people. Came across a family of 4 who summited with a 6 and 8 years old ! Met one guy who was finishing a 10 days hike averaging 30 miles a day and 2 groups finishing 25 days hikes on the PCT and John Muir trails.

Some observations:
- At this point, the road construction is almost complete and they are building the fences and sides. Less than 30 minutes wait.
- The bear canister they rent at the visitor center are heavy !
- Didn't see a single bear and no marmots at trail camp. Saw some marmots on higher ground than trail camps. Came face to face with a deer on the trail!
- Visitor center ran out of extra wag bag to sell and Whitney Portal store dont sell them.
- As soon as you go behind big rocks at trail camp or bushes at Outpost, highly likely you will find some stashed used wag bags. Very sad to see so much junk left on the ground by previous hikers.
- Temp can fall below freezing point at Trail camp during the night. We even got some hail at one point.
- It rained recently so there were plenty of places to get water. Temperature past Outpost camp were always in the 50s and 60s so we drank max 1L between water sources. No need to carry 3-6L.
- The prices at the Portal store are very decent, often cheaper than REI. The food is indeed great. We tried their hamburgers, BLT, melt, all very good.
- Didn't know that a 68 years old died after falling off a month ago. I would not like to do trail crest with a headlamp in pitch darkness... We did Trailcamp to Outpost with our headlights and beside missing all the scenery, it seemed like a very long journey.
- Overall awesome experience and very friendly hiker community ! thanks

ChuckG #48249 08/29/16 11:56 PM
B
B
Small world - I think we were the family of four (on the basis I didn't see any others with kids at all, let alone as young as ours)!

Conditions were good with plenty of water flowing at the ?23rd? switchback, as well as a trickle at the cables. There were some tiny patches of snow on the summit trail that could be used for water in emergency.

On the west side, as with every previous time I've climbed, there is water 0.5-1 miles after guitar lake at some springs beside the trail maybe 0.5mile before the 10 switchbacks. There's also plenty of good camping at this point just SW of the trail.

britonwhit(ney) #48251 08/30/16 07:35 AM
R
R
Originally Posted By: britonwhit(ney)

On the west side, as with every previous time I've climbed, there is water 0.5-1 miles after guitar lake at some springs beside the trail maybe 0.5mile before the 10 switchbacks. There's also plenty of good camping at this point just SW of the trail.

Careful sharing "secret" campsites

Steve C #48262 08/30/16 07:45 PM
E
E
Great weather today (August 30th), and trail is in excellent condition. At ~8:30 a.m. I'd estimate temps at the summit in the low 40s maybe cooler, with 5-10 knot winds. Sunny. Looks like lots of wind in the forecast so if you're hiking the next few days be ready, wind and cold were factors today especially on the back side of the mountain.

Steve C #48263 08/30/16 08:19 PM
S
S
Are there still hikers out now returning from summit today? Estimate of return for 12:30PDT summit today?

Page 18 of 22 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Link Copied to Clipboard