Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Grayl Water Filter
#47152 07/27/16 02:19 PM
S
OP Offline
S
I'm always looking for new/better/cooler toys then the ones I have.... lighter weight is always an added bonus too.

Do any of you GearHeads have any information or input into this particular filter system?

http://www.thegrayl.com/why-grayl/

Thanks!

Re: Grayl Water Filter
SoCalGirl #47153 07/27/16 03:45 PM
Hey it's an anti-diarrhea French Press!

Wiff #47160 07/28/16 06:03 AM
S
S
SoCalGirl ,
Very nice ! I like the french press system , a larger one is next on the list . Now we will see 1. how warm weather mold and then 2. freezing / cracking will affect it . I have tested and used every pill, drops, 10 minute boiling, crystals, pump filter , battery lite , and military contraption for h2o filtration . This is very simple and at 99 percent and lite weigh ....whats not to like . What is the current Price tag ? Cheers ! GST

Sierra Angler #47164 07/28/16 08:10 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: Sierra Angler
What is the current Price tag ? Cheers ! GST

Looks like $50ish is the current going price...

SoCalGirl #47200 08/03/16 06:31 AM
looks quite easy to contaminate the clean side with the unfiltered side while handling the thing. Your hands are also always involved, with most risk of disease coming from poor personal hygiene anyway, not what's in the water itself. I'd hate to have to use this system to filter 2 gallons for a 2 person dry camp away from a lake. and how do I get it into my large water bags? Oh, you carry a funnel, too. And then I want a mix drink - wait, now I need another bottle.

Different target audience, I guess. It's more for the trail runner dude who needs to be UL while still hip and trendy, plus can't afford a week of foamy poop disposition.

reminds me to finally buy a new cartridge for my Hiker Pro. Three summers and two people drinking from one filter, so she's pretty plugged up by now.

Fishmonger #47390 08/06/16 05:57 AM
S
S
All it takes is ONE microscopic Giardia Cyst Egg to be Swallowed into your Stomach and then your GUTS, .....and then Walla ....in a couple days...instant HOT GUSHING Liquids out the Back door and up the front Door. All it takes is ONE CYST . Any system can have a Horrendous and Painful - Contaminating Transference . In English....this Means..... Explosive Diarrhea , Major League Headache , and Straight Stream Vomiting. This means Weight Loss , as in Now , For Days . Until the Doctor gives you the Bottle of Magic Pills. So perform Water Purification.. Very Carefully . Other wise they will call you the Mighty ... " TWO STEP " .... Cheers ! GST

Sierra Angler #52004 09/03/17 12:01 PM
Hello,

I am looking for a water treatment system after summiting Whitney last weekend.

I hear a lot of valid fear of getting sick and not much discussion on this particular design. While initially incredulous of this design I now find it quite compelling.

1- The water has to/can only pass through the filter to get into the inner filtered vessel.
2- There is a threaded cap and what looks like well over 1" from fill vessel and threaded cap of inner vessel. These treads could always be treated w iodine if extra protection desired.
3- No moving parts to break, no electronics.
4- 11oz weight respectable for comparable systems
5- Relatively fast

The more I look at it the more I like it. Pump and UV systems require just as much extreme care in managing contamination IMO.

Review w user discussion and comment from manufacturer:
Grayl review

What do you guys think?

Also- not important but "Walla" is actually "voilĂ " a French term. Just sayin'. hehe

Clifford

Link Copied to Clipboard