Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
0 registered (), 8 Guests and 58 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3400 Members
10 Forums
5332 Topics
49252 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Topic Options
#49494 - 03/29/17 02:43 PM Planning a hike for late April
dhp Offline

Registered: 03/29/17
Posts: 1
Loc: California
Anybody lucky enough to make it up this winter/spring yet?

My dad and I are hoping to go up a weekend or two before permits open up.

#49497 - 03/29/17 10:46 PM Re: Planning a hike for late April [Re: dhp]
Steve C Offline

Registered: 09/22/09
Posts: 7386
Loc: Fresno, CA
There's a picture in the Current Conditions thread

Here's several from Instagram, chefbrandonzarb, posted March 28.

#49605 - 04/18/17 11:37 PM Re: Planning a hike for late April [Re: dhp]
martinphysics Offline

Registered: 04/18/17
Posts: 2
Loc: Czech republic
Hello. My name is Martin and I am from Czech republic from middle Europe. I would like to hike and possibly climb the mountain in the late April via normal route. My plan is to sleep at Whitney Portal on 28th April, sleep at Trail Camp on 29th April and if weather would be cooperating and I would be still fine maybe then I would continue to higher slopes.I am planning this trip few months and preparing. I am already in US where I am for two weeks company training. My experience is however limited: I have only climbed some peaks in Georgian Caucasus above 3500m but none of these trips were technical.I have read carefully all forums and I am aware that this could be very dangerous if underestimated. Nice post which inspired me is of Shri S from Singapore who summited last year also in April. I will not take snow shoes and hope that snow will be firm to withstand under crampons. I am also taking ice axe for the chute part. Big issue is that I am alone. Could somebody join me or at least be somewhere in the trail? That would be great.Martin

#49688 - 04/25/17 09:27 PM Re: Planning a hike for late April [Re: martinphysics]
martinphysics Offline

Registered: 04/18/17
Posts: 2
Loc: Czech republic
Update: Hello climbers! Due to amount of snow on the slopes and due to my lack of confidence and experience with winter climbing I have decided to cancel my (solo) trip on 28th April via Whitney trail.I will definitely try it later. Best regards and take care. Martin