Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
1 registered (SierraNevada), 12 Guests and 61 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3252 Members
13 Forums
5334 Topics
49545 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Topic Options
#4904 - 06/04/10 10:44 AM Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail
Steve C Offline

Loc: Fresno, CA
This thread is designed to hold posts displaying pictures and describing the current conditions of the Main Mount Whitney Trail (MMWT).  I hope everyone will contribute.

Please feel free to post pictures of your own or from any source (please post a reference to the original location), so that everyone can come here and easily find/read/see the conditions.

Older posts will be moved as conditions change. (As a result, some posts may appear to answer comments that are no longer in the thread.)

Thanks for everyone's help. Your posting trip reports helps untold numbers of hikers following you.

Older posts moved here:   Whitney Main Trail Conditions 2017 (Old)

Note: Sometimes this thread spans a number of pages. You can click through all the pages, or click here to display all in one page.

#52325 - 10/04/17 06:40 AM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
MtWhitney2017 Offline

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Conditions as of October 1, 2017:

Horseshoe Meadow -> New Army Pass -> Rock Creek -> Guitar Lake -> Mt. Whitney -> Whitney Portal

Thur, Sept 28
Horseshoe Meadow: Clear skies, frigid temps (all night and morning), no wind, no snow in sight, plenty of water, low creek crossings, trail in good condition

Fri, Sept 29
New Army Pass: Clear skies, warm temps (@ 12:30 p.m.), no wind, no snow on trail, plenty of water, trail in good condition

Sat, Sept 30
Guitar Lake: Clear skies, warm temps all evening, no wind, no snow on trail, plenty of water, low creek crossings

Sun, Oct 1
Mt. Whitney (via JMT from Guitar Lake): Clear skies, warm at Guitar Lake (@ 1:30 a.m.), no snow on trail, no ice on trail, good condition

Trail Crest to Mt. Whitney; Clear skies, frigid temps (@ 4:30 a.m.); high winds, no snow on trail except for a small 10 yd patch that has melted away

Mt. Whitney Peak: Clear skies, no snow on trail, frigid temps, high winds

Mt. Whitney Trail to Whitney Portal: Clear skies, warm, ice at cables (completely manageable), no snow on trail

Edited by MtWhitney2017 (10/04/17 06:46 AM)

#52390 - 10/22/17 11:12 AM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
HikingNewbie Offline

Loc: Bay Area, CA
First off, thanks to all who post on this board. It is an invaluable resource, and I'm not sure what I would have done without the info and insight here.

Second, to all the people who have summited Whitney, I salute you. It is grueling, it is relentless, it is the most physically taxing thing I have ever done. I think I experienced every range of human emotion possible: anger, sadness, ecstasy.

Summited on Friday, 10/20. Started a little after 2 am, summited at 9 am. Back down around 2:30 pm. 38 yo, relatively fit (so I thought), and did an acclimation climb to Lone Pine Lake the day before.

It was COLD and WINDY. My water and Gatorade was frozen by the switchbacks. My snot froze. Was not at all mentally prepared for 40+ MPH gusts at the top. We were the first group up, so did not get the benefit of getting reports from other hikers, but suffice it to say if I had to do it over again I may not push through towards summit considering this was my first attempt and first big hike.

Cable section had ice but very easy to go around. No crampons or micro spikes necessary. I had hiking boots and poles, which I used like a cane coming down because my entire lower body was aching.

Body is hurting today, but spirits are high. I wish you all happy and safe climbing.

Thanks,
John

#52393 - 10/24/17 02:33 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Jorge18 Offline

Loc: California
Hello everyone, Im planning on solo hiking Mt Whitney on November 4th. I did it back in july 1st but i was with a friend. Just curious if anyone else is planning on doing it that day as a day hike.Just asking to calm my nerves haha.

#52394 - 10/24/17 08:39 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Jorge18]
Steve C Offline

Wow, Jorge18! November is especially late to hike. Of course the permits are a sure thing. If no storms come in before then, the trail will be clear and dry, but it's guaranteed to be cold! If there is any wind, it will be bitter cold!

Carry your water inside your pack, as anything outside may freeze. Camel-back water setups can freeze in the tube, so a bottle is better.

Right now, temperatures are on the above normal side, so hiking this week would have been much easier.

Good luck, and be sure to turn back if things get too severe.

#52395 - 10/24/17 09:06 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Jorge18 Offline

Loc: California
I spoke to someone today that gave me the same advice. He said when he did it a couple days ago it was really sunny but really cold. He also said there was ice in some areas. I know the weather can be really unpredictable up there but hopefully it remains the same. I'm just hoping there will be people up there haha. I can't be the only one thinking of attempting it.

#52397 - 10/25/17 03:08 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Jorge18]
Rohit Dube Offline

Loc: CA
Thank you all for all the advice and suggestions. Was able to successfully summit Mt Whitney on 23rd Oct without any issues.
Weather was perfectly fine for all the 17 hours of my hike. It was windy at the summit and was getting cold. I will suggest carrying pair of gloves and a mask to cover your face(nose and ears).
There was no need for crampons as the trail is pretty clear of snow and ice. But do check the weather on the day of your hike.
Again, thank you all.

Edited by Rohit Dube (10/25/17 03:09 PM)

#52398 - 10/26/17 10:55 AM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Rohit Dube]
JMH Offline

Loc: Aurora, Illinois
I dont have that much experience hiking but my 3rd favorite hike of all time was whitney 2016 in about the middle of november. There was a small "warm spell" so i jumped on a plane and went out there. Only 4 cars at portal when i got there the night before the hike. I got lucky and the next day there was not a cloud in the sky for like the whole day and very little wind. I saw 1 person coming down and two people at lone pine lake the entire day all the way to mirror lake. Id guess from memory that is was like 20 to 30 degrees. I carried an ultra lite 20 degree bag and shelter. It got icy above mirror lake on those flat spots and on those stairs on the way up to trail side so for safety i turned around. But it was amazing to be up there almost all by myself. Im sure you know this but there are lots of posts on this site about people getting trapped in snow storms up there so you need to obviously be smart about your plans. Im running errands at lunch and have to go back into work so i can only sit back and dream about how great whitney can be in november if you get lucky with the weather.

#52400 - 10/26/17 03:46 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
tomkwheeler Offline

I was noting a post from 9/25 and here it is a month later, and like that post, the conditions as of last weekend were still like summer, to the summit. Hmm. Just keep watching the wind. The late season chill is serious stuff if the wind kicks up.

Edited by tomkwheeler (10/26/17 03:47 PM)

#52427 - 11/13/17 05:15 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Steve C Offline

Here's a useful current trip report: DAY HIKE 11-11-17

#52450 - 11/17/17 01:05 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Hayden Mills Offline

Hey! I'm headed up to Whitney next weekend (Thanksgiving weekend), and I was wondering what the snow is like up there after the storm this last 48 hours. Wondering if I need to lug up crampons and ice axes if the snow is unconsolidated. Thanks!

#52452 - 11/17/17 02:13 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Hayden Mills]
Steve C Offline

Crampons could be useful. Ice axe: not enough consolidated snow anywhere that an axe would help.