The Pine Creek road, just north of Bishop, has been closed due to flooding danger. This is the access to the Pine Creek pass trailhead. There are three bridges on that road, above Rovana village, that are in danger of collapsing. Another bridge over Pine Creek, in north Round Valley, collapsed a couple of days ago.

https://www.facebook.com/InyoCountySheriffsOffice/

I was just up Pine Creek hoping to do a little hiking, just as the Sheriff arrived to begin chasing people out of the canyon. Pine Creek is running high, muddy and fast. Above the Pine Creek pass trailhead the creek has reached a record-breaking flow rate.

Hikers and campers need to be aware of the increasing high flows of water in all Eastern Sierra creeks at this time. Day-time high temps are very high, which is contributing to rapid melting of the snow pack, especially during late afternoon and evenings. You need to call the USFS or Inyo Sheriff dept. to check on current conditions in the areas in which you want to hike or camp. The road to North Lake (Piute Pass trailhead), near Bishop has been damaged by flooding, and is now closed. As I write, other roads are about to be closed. I will try to make updates here as the situation develops. Be safe.

Lower Rock Creek road and Onion Valley road are now closed due to flooding.

Check Inyo Sheriff Facebook page for other continuous updates.

Last edited by Bob West; 06/20/17 11:27 AM.