Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 219 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Cottonwood to Whitney advice for a high altitude newbie.
bobpickering #54007 08/02/18 05:01 PM
S
S
I just got word that a mud slide ( confused ) has closed Horseshoe Meadows road. Not sure when it will open.

But road crews usually jump on those right away, as there will be hikers trying to drive down from there.

Daybreak #54009 08/02/18 07:52 PM
D
OP Offline
D
@ psykokid, If this were our second time out I'd definitely try that route. The 3 of us are all in pretty decent shape and hike the AT regularly putting in big miles, but as this is our first time at these elevations and first time hiking out West we're playing it safe. Going off trail probably won't be in the cards this time.

I wouldn't mind hiking into the Miter basin from the South or tackling Langley if we have the time on our return trip though. Those 2 are the only reasons I was looking at cell phone gps apps as I don't know how well defined the use trails are? My friends won't be up for any route finding, that much I do know.

@ Harvey, I do have the pcta maps via Halfmile, unfortunately they don't get into the miter basin, Langley, or Cottonwood lakes.

@ steve and futbol, I love to take pics and vids and follow on the maps, so I usually carry an external battery with me. I recently got a Pixel 2 XL, so had to upgrade mine to the RAVPower 10000mAh w/USB-C connection. It's 8.9oz of peace of mind to snap as many photos and stare at a map as much as I want. smile

Mudslides? No Bueno!

Harvey Lankford #54012 08/03/18 09:51 AM
G
G
Originally Posted By: Harvey Lankford
Tom Harrison maps still work just fine! It is all I have ever needed.

for the Langley/Miter/Cottonwood/Whitney area you are considering, get this
Mt Whitney High Country

unfortunately it does not include all of the Horsehoe Meadows /Cottonwood trailhead details for your day one, so get this on just for the top right hand corner:

Golden Trout Wilderness

I like how those paper maps will run forever on a single charge. No backup power brick required.

BTW, the Tom Harrison Mt Whitney High Country map now includes that detail of the trailhead area as an inset (located lower left corner).

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard