Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Hike from Cottonwood Pass Trailhead
#53608 06/20/18 11:49 AM
J
Jammer Offline OP
OP Offline
J

I have some questions for the collective wisdom of the Whitney Zone community. Thanks for your patience as this is a little long.

A friend and I have made the summit of Whitney via the main trail and had other hikes both on the Whitney Trail and elsewhere in the Sierras including Cloud's Rest, etc. So, we have some good experience in the area. However, we are doing something for the first time in July. We plan to do a multiple day backpack from Cottonwood Pass trail head culminating with a summit of Whitney and exit back to the portal via the main trail. Most of our arrangements are made, but we have a few questions that are harder to be sure about without input from folks with actual experience on that route. Would appreciate any advice/thoughts.

- If I look at the route on Google Maps (not a great idea, I'm sure) it shows the trail heading south from the trail head, catching the PCT eventually, and then meanders around to Cottonwood Pass. On Guthook, there seems to be a much more direct path E/NE to Cottonwood Pass. I'm sure the trail will be pretty obvious once we are there, but curious if we can count on Guthook's representation of that direct route to the pass.

- While creek crossings may not be as big of an issue this year than last, just curious if there are any crossings on this route that we need to be aware of or consider differently as part of our planning.

- Seems from our research, many folks on this route camp first night at Chicken Spring Lake. We are accustomed to hiking 10-17 miles without a lot of issues, so that seems a little early to stop on day one. At the same time, a natural destination like Rock Creek Ranger station area is 15 miles. Fifteen miles wouldn't normally concern me, but we live on the east coast with no altitude issues, so just curious if there are any good spots to camp the first night between Chicken Spring and Rock Creek Ranger Station in case we decide 15 miles at altitude is more than we want to tackle.

- The night before we summit, like most folks we intend to stay somewhere in the general vicinity of Guitar Lake. Any advice on preferred locations to camp? Seems some folks like to proceed past Guitar Lake a bit. Is that a good idea? Guthook shows camping there, but would hate to walk up there only to find that it is always occupied, no water, etc.

- Do you personally feel three liters is enough water to take from Guitar Lake area to get us to the summit and then back down the main trail far enough for water? I did fine with three liters from Trail Camp-Summit-Trail Camp before so I assume so, but open to differing opinions.

- Fire permits. My understanding is that unlike the MWMT, at least some areas in the back country do allow fires as long as you have a permit and there are no current prohibitions due to local conditions. What I am struggling with is the fact that the overarching rules seem to be pretty complex with variations based on which jurisdiction one happens to find themselves at a given time, etc. I guess not a big deal, but if there are areas along this route that allow the luxury of an evening campfire, I would at least like to know about it.

- Finally, we have plans to drop a car at Whitney Portal and a shuttle arranged to take us to the trail head on the first day. Do we need some sort of parking permit or anything to leave our car at the portal for the 3-4 days we will need to make the journey?

That's it for now. Also interested in any other advice you may have if you have particular experience with this itinerary.

Re: The Hike from Cottonwood Pass Trailhead
Jammer #53612 06/20/18 03:38 PM
K
K
We did the exact route last year during the 3rd wk of July. Check out Caltopo for the trail maps.

First camp was about 9.5mi from Horseshoe Meadows TH. We pulled off the PCT to go higher to 11.5K because of the mosquitoes.

There are at least 2 creek crossing. Rock Creek was a challenge last year, but we found a couple of logs to use about 100yd upstream. The second creek is Crabtree Creek, which was much less difficult than Rock Creek. Then if you keep going on PCT and then join the JMT, you avoid any more creek crossing (albeit a small climb and ~0.7mi more). This year there appears to be less water, so it may be trivial creek crossings this time around.

We camped on Guitar Lake, but it was crowded at that time of the year, so plan on getting there early in the afternoon. There is also camping above it, maybe another 0.75mi on the trail and last year it had water.

We all carried 3+ liter of water, but it wasn't necessary, as there was a creek flowing on the top part of the 99 switchbacks. Still, 3L was enough to summit and then reach Trail Camp. Your mileage may vary :-)

Don't know about campfires, as we didn't do any and I didn't see anyone doing them either.

As for parking, I believe that you need a permit/pass. We used the Inter-agency Annual Pass.

kedierluc #53619 06/20/18 07:54 PM
R
R
There are two different areas with tarns to camp above Guitar Lake. First about 15/20 minutes further up trail from GL, second 10/15 minutes further up.

My understanding is no parking permit needed this year at Whitney Portal (last year required due to construction). Careful not to park in the "Day Parking" area across from the store.If you leave anything there in a bear locker put a note on it showing the expected date of your return.

Jammer #53623 06/20/18 11:41 PM
B
B
I've done this route several times. It's very pleasant.

1) Google maps is showing the Trail pass trail, which is less travelled than the Cottonwood Pass trail. Gmap 4 is soooooo much better than Google maps: https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=36.452398,-118.191038&z=15&t=t4 shows the cottonwood pass trail clearly. If you're not a Gmap4 user then it's easy - just note that you can change the type of map on the top left, some of my links below are satellite vs topo.

2) Early season/high snow/after a massive rain storm then Rock Creek can be tricky, but that's highly unlikely in July this year. My 7 yr old son did it a few yrs ago and was barely knee deep.

3) Given the altitude (and time taken to get to the trailhead unless you camp there the previous night) I think Chicken Spring Lake is a very sensible first night. If you want to push on, then one option is to take the route that goes via Lower Soldier Lake and stop there, or a mile later at Rock Creek lake. That would make it about 10 miles.

4) Pre-summit I nearly always camp at the junction of the JMT and MMWT. It's spectacular. https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=36.561592,-118.293280&z=20&t=s This is a dry camp, so I cook dinner at a spring beyond the tarns here: https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=36.566647,-118.303155&z=20&t=s There's also some good camp spots on the slabs just N of that spot, or here a few hundred feet further North: https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=36.565373,-118.301859&z=20&t=s

5) I take 3-4L/person from the spring to the summit and down, but that includes a dry camp for the night, and I always have too much water. Camping so high, and starting early means its _cold_ first thing, so I drink very little on my summit morning.

6) You can have a fire if you camp at the final Rock Creek crossing, that's about the only place I'm aware of that permits them.

britonwhit(ney) #53625 06/21/18 12:38 AM
B
B
I'm doing the same thing next weekend and wondering what the temperatures are like this time of year, highs and lows.

Thank you

Bianca B #53647 06/21/18 09:24 PM
J
Jammer Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks for all the great info so far! Very helpful.

Bianca B #53649 06/22/18 01:09 AM
B
B
My experience is 20-80F air temp, but that's not necessarily relevant... 40F, windy and raining feels WAY colder (and is much more dangerous hypothermia-wise) than 20F on a calm frosty morning.

I've woken up in the tent at 13.2k ft on the Whitney summit ridge at 20F with a decent layer of ice on the inside, but not been cold. I've camped in Crabtree meadows in a big storm at 40F and been shivering until I dried out.

So really, what matters is the weather forecast... see links on the left!

Link Copied to Clipboard