Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Looking for Permits before July 15th
#53769 07/02/18 09:26 PM
R
OP Offline
R
Does anyone have any permits that they are willing to part with for any date before July 15th?

Re: Looking for Permits before July 15th
Russellfromup #53770 07/02/18 11:20 PM
S
S
Russell: Just go to the Visitor Center in Lone Pine and get in line for a walk-in permit. Except on really busy weekends, they are nearly always available.

Here are the unused Whitney permit numbers for 2017

Steve C #53782 07/04/18 12:13 PM
H
H
> "Russell: Just go to the Visitor Center in Lone Pine and get in line for a walk-in permit. Except on really busy weekends, they are nearly always available."

This works if you are there for 3-4 days because you have to be there at 11am for the next day permits. Same-day permits for Day Use mean you won't summit because the station opens at 8am and you won't really get out of there until around 930am. If you wait for a day-use for Sunday and have to work on Monday...well good luck. Walk-ins need a bit of planning and spare time, unfortunately.

If you can snag permits from someone who has a spot in their group because of cancellation, it's a ideal situation and it's always best to try your luck. Works well if you want to show up on a Saturday and spend the weekend on the mountain. For weekend warriors, the 'show-up' doesn't always work and I've not managed to make it work yet.

I could never do a day-hike of Whitney on Sunday then go back to work on Monday.

Happycamper #53783 07/04/18 01:35 PM
S
S
> This works if you are there for 3-4 days because you have to be there at 11am for the next day permits....

Actually, the no-show day hike permits (for next day) are made available at 2 PM. It's the same-day overnight permits that come available at 11. There are also some permits available earlier due to group-size reductions by those picking up their reserved permits. Those are available immediately.

Also, understand that the unused permits are the numbers available at the end of the day, after ALL people asking for them are done. So you don't actually have to be there at the 11 AM or 2 PM times.

Playing the walk-in no-show pickup game always works better on week-days, especially later in summer.

You can also keep checking the online permits. As I write this, there is currently one Day Use available for July 6 (and 2 overnight slots). Those pop up occasionally when the really conscientious reservation holders logon and reduce their permit numbers. I sure wish rec.gov would refund a little $$ to make this a more useful option.

Steve C #53785 07/04/18 03:58 PM
H
H
Originally Posted By: Steve C
> This works if you are there for 3-4 days because you have to be there at 11am for the next day permits....

Actually, the no-show day hike permits (for next day) are made available at 2 PM. It's the same-day overnight permits that come available at 11. There are also some permits available earlier due to group-size reductions by those picking up their reserved permits. Those are available immediately.

Also, understand that the unused permits are the numbers available at the end of the day, after ALL people asking for them are done. So you don't actually have to be there at the 11 AM or 2 PM times.

Playing the walk-in no-show pickup game always works better on week-days, especially later in summer.

You can also keep checking the online permits. As I write this, there is currently one Day Use available for July 6 (and 2 overnight slots). Those pop up occasionally when the really conscientious reservation holders logon and reduce their permit numbers. I sure wish rec.gov would refund a little $$ to make this a more useful option.

I've been refreshing the page all day and didn't see the July 6th date. It's really a game of luck online.

Happycamper #53798 07/05/18 10:15 PM
C
C
I just released 4 Day Use for July 9th. Not sure when they will be reflected on recreation.gov site.
7/5 10:15 pm PT

Link Copied to Clipboard