Next Thread
Print Thread
Lack of Leadership by Inyo National Forest
#57176 06/07/20 06:43 AM
P
penny Offline OP
OP Offline
P
The lack of real time communication by INF is shocking. In times of a crisis or trouble it is generally accepted that the best approach is to over communicate. The last “news” update on their website is dated May 22. Really? Much of their limited communication has been lacking in detail and is ambiguous.

I also believe INF has not been proactive and is defaulting too many decisions that falls within their jurisdiction to others.

I find it amazing that in most places in California you can go to a restaurant, get a haircut, go to the mall, etc but Inyo Forest Service campgrounds are closed? How many rescues take place at the developed campgrounds? One of the busiest national parks in the nation, Yosemite, is opening June 12. But as of today you can’t camp in a Inyo National Forest campground? It is maddening.

I would have preferred to not air these comments in a public setting but my communication directly to INF went unanswered.

I hope this post leads to more updates and communication by INF.

Re: Lack of Leadership by Inyo National Forest
penny #57177 06/07/20 08:15 AM
B
B
Lack of leadership is not the problem. The COVID-19 closures have impacted the ISFS in Lone Pine and over the State. You might try calling them at 760-876-6200, but they are probably closed. Good luck.

https://www.sierrawave.net/state-issues-guidance-for-campgrounds-lodging-and-other-sectors/

Last edited by Bob West; 06/07/20 10:02 AM.
Bob West #57179 06/07/20 03:30 PM
A
A
Nearly every other state and national park has opened or has very defined projections of doing so. You can’t debate that Inyo is behind the curve and exhibited very poor communication and clarity.

Whitney Zone #57189 06/08/20 11:29 AM
Y
Y
I just received the attachment here in a work email with other business openings; I've not read the entire document, just caught my eye with "campgrounds" in original email. It is very frustrating that there is no staff can be at the centers at least fielding phone calls, that should be at a minimum given the time of year. I have sent them messages on FB, and I do receive replies the same day. Granted it's just generic information with a smidgen of details. Just very limited overall. Given that it's California and this is a very high demand area, they should be more with the program.

https://covid19.ca.gov/pdf/guidance-campgrounds.pdf

Link Copied to Clipboard