Next Thread
Print Thread
Fishing potential on trail
#57560 07/03/20 08:09 AM
D
Deke Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge on fishing spots along the trail. As you hike past lone pine lake, mirror lake, consultation and guitar lake I have never seen anyone fishing. Do any of these lakes present any decent fishing opportunities? If so, what type of rig would you suggest? We have very lightweight telescoping rods and were planning on giving it a try (with barbless hooks of course).

Re: Fishing potential on trail
Deke #57561 07/03/20 08:38 AM
B
B
I saw someone coming down the trail two weeks ago who was carrying fishing gear. The main trail was closed beyond Lone Pine Lake at that time, so I assume he fished there (unless he did a ninja run and went up to Mirror Lake or higher). I don't know whether he caught anything, though.

There are reports of trout in some of the lakes, though:

"The Department of Fish and Game stocks Lone Pine Lake with rainbow trout, and there are also allegedly brook trout here too. If you’re into fishing and are camping, you can bring a rod with you and fish. I’ve heard to folks landing trout at both Consultation Lake and Mirror Lake. Word has it the fish are biggest at Consultation Lake."

(source: https://hikingguy.com/hiking-trails/hikes-around-mt-whitney/mt-whitney-hike/)

Deke #57562 07/03/20 08:40 AM
B
B
I've fished the Eastern Sierra for 50 years. They are probably typical of high country lakes.

Try using a small float bubble with a 2 pound leader (4 - 5 feet) and a very small fly (dry or wet) size 18-22 hook)-- a large fly will scare the fish. Fish from the inlet and let the fly drift out into the lake, and wait a few minutes -- move, repeat. Best times will be early morning or late afternoon. If you see fish jumping and rising for insects, game will be on! The bulk of the trout diet is very small midges, not big bugs or other fish.

If the hook is set by the fish, it will start running. Or, if you detect movement of the float, gently raise the rod tip to set the hook. Resist the temptation to set the hook as though it is a large game tuna!

Reel it in, and hold the fish with your bare hands, remove the hook with you fingers or with a small forceps. Why bare hands? Trout have a coating on their skin that helps protect them from disease; handling with gloves or rags will remove this coating. Don't throw the fish back in, but lower it to the water and it will swim away.

Last edited by Bob West; 07/03/20 09:55 AM.
Bob West #57565 07/03/20 12:14 PM
D
Deke Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Darn it, Bob, that is some fantastic information and I thank you! We were thinking plastics on 4-6lb fluorocarbon lines. I remember consultation lake was a bit tricky to get down into but thats what we are planning for.

Bob West #57566 07/03/20 12:19 PM
D
Deke Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I've never used a fly, can you perhaps send me a pic of a few that could work?

Deke #57567 07/03/20 02:53 PM
B
B
A couple that I use are Zebra Midge (sinks a little) and Midge dry fly (floats on the surface)patterns. Ask at you nearest fly fishing shop, or find them on-line.

A 6 lb test line might be a little on the heavy side. I'd try 2 1/2 or 3 pound test. The lighter line is more difficult for the trout to see.

Most of the time trout are feeding below the surface and surface feed when they see insects actually floating on the surface.

If the flies don't work, try Power Bait. When insects aren't hatching, trout will go for anything that looks and smells appetizing. But if a hatch is going on they feed exclusively on insects.

Last edited by Bob West; 07/03/20 03:00 PM.
Bob West #57568 07/03/20 03:27 PM
D
Deke Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Sorry for my ignorance but I've never fly fished before and the rod I plan on taking is a telescoping 5ft w spinning reel. Could I use a fly with this setup?

Deke #57571 07/03/20 06:58 PM
A
A
Originally Posted by Deke
Sorry for my ignorance but I've never fly fished before and the rod I plan on taking is a telescoping 5ft w spinning reel. Could I use a fly with this setup?

Yes. Search for "fly and bubble fishing" on YouTube. I never tried fishing in the Whitney zone but saw plenty of small trout in Lone pine and Mirror lakes. My best fishing experiences in the Sierra were in the Evolution Valley and Garnet lake. It you ever consider fishing in larger alpine lakes, lures are a good option. In general, trout tends to be bigger in lakes than in small streams.

Deke #57572 07/03/20 08:44 PM
B
B
Here is a good video class on using a bubble for fishing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6GsTTMcxhM

Bob West #57596 07/05/20 03:01 PM
N
N
Speaking of fishing. Went up to cottonwood lakes last year and spent 3 days fishing off of lake 3 outlet. We used light weight fly rod and got the barb less flies from the sports store in Lone Pine. The owner was very helpful in making recommendations. We are going on a thru hike this year from over Cottonwood Pass with an exit of Mount Whitney. Does anyone have any knowledge in fishing opportunities in the crabtree meadows to trail crest area.

Deke #57638 07/07/20 01:38 PM
dbd Offline
An interesting document on eastern sierra back country fishing is:

Eastern Sierra Back Country Fishing Guide

at:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5410679.pdf

It covers Horseshoe Meadows to Bridgeport. The only addition I would make for the Lone Pine Creek area is that Mirror Lake has both brooks and rainbows.

For seeing fish along the trail, there are usually rainbows at the big log crossing of Lone Pine Creek just below the Lone Pine Lake turnoff and in the fall brooks spawn in the creek along the trail just before it climbs out of Bighorn Park.

My favorite is Mirror Lake with it's population of wild brooks and rainbows.

Dale B. Dalrymple

Bob West #57707 07/14/20 10:30 AM
A
A
Wow! This is some good info. Thanks! Question, does it matter if one uses mono or flouro? What is the recommended line type for this type of setup? Much appreciated!

Link Copied to Clipboard