Next Thread
Print Thread
Mountaineer Route Campsite(s)
#58035 09/03/20 11:34 AM
T
tif Online OP
OP Online
T
I'm headed up to hit the mountaineers route next weekend for the first time (i've been up the main trail and/or up from guitar lake a total of 8 times prior - so i'm good with altitude/general navigation/experience etc). Just wondering the pros/cons of each of the general campsites: Lower Boyscout vs Upper Boyscout vs. Iceberg Lake - those seem to be the main 3 I see mentioned as camping locations. Obviously the higher the campsite - the farther you have to carry your full pack, beyond that which has the better camping with an overnight trip in mind? Plan is to hike to camp night 1, summit day 2, and then either hike out day 2 or stay one more night and hike out day 3. (Our little group should only need space for 2 tents total). Thanks in advance!!

=)tif

Re: Mountaineer Route Campsite(s)
tif #58037 09/03/20 07:38 PM
LBSL seemed to have too many mosquitoes, so I've always camped higher.

I've camped at UBSL a few times and would recommend it. There are a few obvious spots that are a sufficient distance from water and on sand with man-made rock barriers. It can get windy and be prepared for rain/hail. A hiking partner said there were some mosquitoes at UBSL active overnight, and small rodents, although I did not encounter either while in a bivvy.

I can imagine Iceberg Lake being similar (although I have never camped there). It seems like the man-made wind barriers up there are larger.

Link Copied to Clipboard