Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 207 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Big Agnes Insulated Q-Core Deluxe vs Insulated AXL Air
#58211 11/13/20 06:21 PM
OP Offline
So I have a $200 credit with Big Agnes and want to get a new air pad. I'm a side sleeper, so a thicker air pad is what I need vs a self inflating or closed foam pad.

I'm split between the Big Agnes Insulated Q-Core Deluxe and Insulated AXL Air

The Q-core is what I've been using (but developed a slow leak). Except for the leak, it was good and even handled sleeping on top of snow and ice well.

The Insulated AXL Air is HALF the weight of the Q-Core, but R value half 3 vs 4.3 for the Q-core.

I would get a closed cell foam pad to use with it during at least the winter. And that will still be a little lighter than the Q-core is by itself.

Thoughts or anyone have any first hand knowledge of the Insulated AXL air?

And anyone have a suggestion for a good closed cell pad to use as a base for the air mattress? Some of them have a lot of bumps that peopel say are uncomfortable, but since the air pad will be what I actually sleep on, it shouldn't matter (right?).

Last edited by WanderingJim; 11/13/20 06:21 PM.
Re: Big Agnes Insulated Q-Core Deluxe vs Insulated AXL Air
WanderingJim #58214 11/13/20 11:31 PM
S
S
Have you tried finding/repairing that slow leak? I have a Neo-Air, and it had a slow leak. I found it by standing on it while it is submerged -- bath tub or swimming pool is best. Watch for tiny bubbles. I suppose if a leak is on a seam it would be difficult, but the pads I've had have all leaked from easy-patchable spots. Must be aging/defective coating going bad. I realized storing them folded/rolled up tightly causes wrinkles, and that can cause a leak over time. I now store mine inflated.

As for a closed cell pad, seems like any would work, regardless of lumps, since you use it as a bottom-layer. Weight would be the most important to me.

Re: Big Agnes Insulated Q-Core Deluxe vs Insulated AXL Air
Steve C #58215 11/14/20 08:30 AM
OP Offline
Yeah, I tried finding the leak in my bath tub, but couldn't locate it.

Big Agnes is replacing it for me under warranty. But I can get a credit towards the Insulated AXL Air instead (the size I want is $40 more).

So, I'm just trying to decide if I want to get the q-core or the AXL now. I love the weight savings, but it's a 1/4 inch thinner (probably not a big deal) and has a lower R value.

I could solve both the thinner part and R value by carrying a lightweight closed foam pad as well. I lose a bunch of the weight savings doing that, of course.

Link Copied to Clipboard