Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail
Deke #57585 07/04/20 09:14 PM
J
J
Yeah, I hadn’t contacted anyone at all and received an email from Bishop FS with my permit attached as a pdf and all info needed for the hike. I already have a bear canister so haven’t looked into rentals for those, sorry

Steve C #57646 07/07/20 04:35 PM
P
P
We summitted yesterday (6 July 2020) coming up from Guitar Lake and then hiking down the switchbacks to the Portal Store (amazing cheeseburgers and fries again!). On the western side (coming up from Guitar Lake), there is no snow at all on the switchbacks to Trail Crest. On the ridge crest trail to the summit, there were three very short patches of 10-20 feet. One was somewhere in the first mile from Trail Crest to the summit--the snow comes over the path but still leaves more than enough space for you to walk on the trail without touching the snow. It is melting rapidly and likely won't be there long if the weather holds. The other two patches are found as you begin to loop around the summit base, around 1.5 mi from Trail Crest--one is only a few feet, the other is about 20 ft. or so. It was easily passable simply by walking in the footsteps from previous hikers, no microspikes required.

On the switchbacks, it was very similar. Around the 55th switchback (same location as shown in the picture above) coming down from Trail Crest there is a wall of snow, but there is now enough snow-free path to easily hike up/down without any issues.

The entire trail, west up to Trail Crest, to the summit, and back down the switchbacks all the way to the Portal Store is also free of any kind of damage that would obstruct your progress for anybody wondering about any issues relating to earthquake.

Steve C #57673 07/08/20 11:38 PM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Found this picture (from July 7) posted on FB in the High Sierra Trail group, posted by Nate W. It shows a snow patch just before the Whitney summit.

Regarding descending the switchbacks, he reported "The trail here is very icy in many, many places so be extremely careful if you’re in this section while it's still early in the day."

[Linked Image]

Steve C #57682 07/09/20 10:14 PM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
BP posted the following in another thread:
Originally Posted by Big Pine
I did a stroll to trail camp on July 6 and noticed the following:

- Not as many people as usual, but it's still much more crowded than most trails in the Sierras. There were a few people at Lone Pine Lake, one tent at Outpost Camp, and several tents at Trail Camp.
- Very minor trail damage from the earthquake. There were some sections that were blocked by rocks or downed trees, but they're all very easy to go around.
- One unstable boulder slid a couple hundred feet down a slope in the afternoon. You could see and hear the slide from Trailside Meadow, but the slide was nowhere near the main trail.
- No issues with getting your feet wet at any of the stream crossings.
- The Portal Store is open, and parking isn't a problem.
- No snow on the trail until at least Trail Camp. Some people told me that the only snow on the trail is at the cables (easily bypassed) and isolated patches near the summit (no microspikes needed), but I was unable to verify.
- I saw discarded food wrappings and even a hat on the trail. But thankfully, the only WAG bags I saw were at the trailhead.
- Bugs aren't a problem except below Lone Pine Lake in the evening.
- There are some flowers on the trail but not as many as last July.
- Reports on the summit register are mixed. Some said it's missing, others said it's been moved inside the hut.

2 members like this: Team Dirty Boots, terraelise
Steve C #57716 07/15/20 02:34 PM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Pictures from Chetan B, July 11, 2020.

The cables
[Linked Image]

The only snow left, near the summit
[Linked Image]

Near the summit, looking back at the Needles.
[Linked Image]

The NEOWISE comment from Trail Camp
[Linked Image]

2 members like this: kcamcmahon, Team Dirty Boots
Steve C #57741 07/19/20 10:39 AM
M
M
Just checking to see if anyone knows if there is still much or any snow on the trail. Many thanks!

MarkM #57744 07/19/20 01:47 PM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by MarkM
Just checking to see if anyone knows if there is still much or any snow on the trail. Many thanks!
The pictures you can see above are the total snow you will find on the trail.

Steve C #57746 07/19/20 08:28 PM
C
che Offline
C
Does the patchy snow photos mean that there's any water streaming/pooling available above Trail Crest?
thanks!

che #57748 07/19/20 10:48 PM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by che
Does the patchy snow photos mean that there's any water streaming/pooling available above Trail Crest?
thanks!
No. Last water is at switchback 25 above Trail Camp, where a tiny stream trickles across the trail. Best to take 3 liters from the inlet to the Trail Camp pond.

Steve C #57763 07/22/20 12:37 PM
B
B
I made it up to the top on July 20. Some highlights:

- No snow or ice on the trail (this applies to the Main Trail; there may or may not be some snow and/or ice on the Mountaineer's Route)
- No issues with getting your feet wet at any of the stream crossings despite some recent afternoon rain showers
- There's plenty of water flowing on the lower switchbacks. Last water source is about halfway between Trail Camp and the cables.
- There were a ton of WAG bags on the trail this time. Ugh!
- I saw a ranger at Trail Camp at around 1 PM who picked up the trash and the WAG bags I saw earlier that morning. He didn't ask for my permit but may have checked others.
- Traffic (number of hikers on the trail, number of tents at Outpost and Trail Camps, and number of cars in the parking lot) seems to have returned to normal.
- There are 3-4 boulders on the trail, probably from the earthquake, but they're all very easy to go around. There were no rockslides that day.
- There are plenty of WAG bags available at the trailhead.
- Bugs are present but are barely noticeable. No need for headnets or insect repellent.
- The sky pilots in the higher elevations (over 13,200' ish) are blooming, but those in the lower elevations (~12.5K - 13.2K feet?) seem to have wilted. There are still some nice purple flowers in Trailside Meadow.
- I didn't take Diamox and didn't have any problems with the altitude. For acclimatization, I drove from sea level to Mammoth Lakes (8000') on Friday afternoon (7/17), did a short one-mile hike from 9000' - 9300' on Saturday afternoon (7/18), drove from Mammoth to Whitney Portal Sunday afternoon/evening (7/19), and started hiking the Whitney Trail early Monday morning (7/20) just after midnight. I found that a similar acclimatization schedule has worked for me in the past, but I do get AMS symptoms if I go from sea level to 11000' without spending at least one night at 7000' or higher.
- The summit register is back in its original location. Based on the number of entries in the register and the number of people I saw on the upper portion of the trail, I'd estimate that 30-40 people made it to the top that day.

Approximate weather & sunrise timeline:
4:30 AM: Skies are no longer pitch-black. You can tell that it's slightly brighter in the east than it is in the west.
5:25 AM: No need for headlamps
5:44 AM: Sun appears above the horizon
6 AM - 9 AM: Almost completely clear skies
8:55 AM: First small cloud appears in the west
11:30 AM: Skies in the west are almost completely overcast, can't believe that some people are still heading up even though they're 2 miles from the summit
12:30 - 1 PM: Got rained on at the lower switchbacks. It's more like a drizzle than a downpour.
3 PM: Got rained on again between Mirror Lake and Trailside Meadow, but the rain isn't heavy or long. Heard some thunder in the distance.
4 PM - 5 PM: No rain, but cloudy and breezy
6 PM: Mostly clear skies and calm winds again

3 members like this: marc g, kcamcmahon, bruce
Big Pine #57805 07/27/20 12:47 PM
K
K
I was hiking on that same day. I made it to the summit at 11:30 ish. I didn’t spend much time up there other than pictures and signing the book. On the way back down it started to snow. By the time I hit the switchbacks it was just a light sprinkle. I couldn’t believe how many people were still ascending the switchbacks in attempt to summit with the weather being like it was. When I got back to Trail camp some campers told me the we’re hearing thunder but while hiking I never heard anything. Also we had a bear steal some food from my group while getting ready at the portal @1:30am.

Steve C #58229 11/23/20 11:44 PM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Jim Porter climbed the main trail Sat, Nov 21, 2020. The trail is really dry for this time of year. It will change drastically when the next storm comes.
Microspikes is the most anyone needs just now.

Above Lone Pine Lake
[Linked Image]

Waterfall at Outpost amp
[Linked Image]

Trail Camp Pond
[Linked Image]

At the cables
[Linked Image]

Near Trail Crest
[Linked Image]

Near the JMT junction
[Linked Image]

Hitchcock Lakes
[Linked Image]

Whitney Crest
[Linked Image]

Whitney Summit
[Linked Image]

Steve C #58268 12/05/20 11:16 PM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Here are Anton's pictures from his hike up the Main Trail, approx. Dec 1, 2020.

[Linked Image]

Lone Pine Lake
[Linked Image]

Outpost Camp
[Linked Image]

Trail Camp
[Linked Image]

Owens Valley, Consultation Lake
[Linked Image]

Hitchcock Lakes and the Kaweah Peaks & Great Western Divide
[Linked Image]

Steve C #58270 12/05/20 11:31 PM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Pedro L posted this report on the Mt Whitney FB page. Posted with his permission:
Last weekend (11/28-11/29) me and my friend did a loop hiking up the Mountaineers Route and down the Main Trail. North Fork Lone Pine Creek was frozen forcing us, and another few hikers, to stay left and push through dense bushes later in a safer crossing zone. We slept at Iceberk Lake. The ice thickness was 6" on the sides. The chute was in perfect condition without any snow or ice patches. For the last 400 feet, we decided to take the Class 2 traverse due to our heavy backpacks. The main trail was also in great condition with very dry/sticky snow. We carried microspikes but didn't need them.

Ebersbacher Ledges
[Linked Image]

Iceberg Lake
[Linked Image]

Main Mountaineers Route chute, the notch at the top
[Linked Image]

The traverse from the notch to the summit
[Linked Image]

Summit picture
[Linked Image]

Steve C #58276 12/11/20 01:26 PM
A
A
Hi, does anyone know what the current conditions are like on the Mountaineers Route?

Thanks!

Alex W #58277 12/11/20 10:36 PM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Alex, the post just above yours are pictures from the MR. But now some light storminess has moved in, so it will have a bit of snow.

Steve C #58285 12/21/20 05:44 PM
S
S
Summited 12/20/2020 via main trail

Cables on switchbacks
[Linked Image]

Summit
[Linked Image]

Last edited by skeleton; 12/21/20 05:51 PM.
skeleton #58286 12/21/20 10:37 PM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
skeleton, Thanks so much for posting the pictures. They will help people who might want to try a winter hike.

Steve C #58287 12/21/20 10:41 PM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Bill D posted this on FB (shared with permission)
We were planning to hike to Consultation Lake last Friday (Dec 4) but got sidetracked and decided to join in on the ice follies at Lone Pine Lake with the SAR girls. We played on the ice for an hour or two and listened to the lake sing to us with bellowing whale-like noises as the ice contracted/expanded below the surface. It was loud and echoed off the canyon walls to the point you could hear it a mile away. We continued on but made it only as far as Outpost Camp where we fell under the spell of the frozen falls. By the time we snapped to, it was time to head back. It was truly a magical day.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Steve C #58289 12/24/20 08:32 PM
M
M
Great pics. Thanks for posting!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard