Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cottonwood Lakes permit question
#58291 01/13/21 02:08 PM
M
MikeH Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi all,

On the fs.usda.gov page for the Cottonwood Lakes Trail, it says wilderness permits are required for overnight trips and that quotas are in effect from May 1 - through Nov 1. I understand this to mean that permits are required for any overnight stay but are limited to a certain number of permits during May 1- Nov 1.

My confusion is that permits are only available on recreation.gov, but there are no permits available for this weekend whereas other area (Convict, Bishop etc) show 99+ (seems to be a miscellaneous default number). Or are overnight permits only required during that quota period?

I've called (760) 873-2483 a couple times but when I press "0" to speak to the next person, it just rings a bunch of times and hangs up.

Additionally, it appears Horseshoe Meadow Rd is closed. I've heard this is a gate that is not far from the campgrounds/ trailheads. I assume one can still park on the side of the road before closure?

Last edited by MikeH; 01/13/21 02:09 PM.
Re: Cottonwood Lakes permit question
MikeH #58292 01/13/21 03:16 PM
Hi, Mike. I’m going to try to answer, but somebody may find it necessary to correct me.

I haven’t been in that area recently, but the Horseshoe Meadows road is typically closed many miles from the trailheads and campgrounds in the winter. You could theoretically hike up the road, but that just isn’t practical. I assume that this is why they don’t show any permits.

Many years ago, I did a lot of winter climbing. They never closed the dirt roads that lead to the unpaved trailheads along the eastern sierra. Taboose Pass, Shepherd Pass, Red Lake (Split Mountain), etc. were always open. They used to plow all the way to the Big Pine Creek trailheads, so those were always accessible. They only plowed part way to North Lake, South Lake, and Sabrina, so you had to hike up the road to get to the trailheads.

1 member likes this: MikeH
Re: Cottonwood Lakes permit question
bobpickering #58293 01/13/21 03:53 PM
M
MikeH Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks Bob,

I just pulled out my Mt Whitney map and happened to notice a small square I hadn't seen before labeled "Winter Road Closure" located down before the switchbacks. That would be a long, brutal, road walk. smile I assumed the gate up by the trailheads was "the" gate. Makes more sense they'd have a lower gate to keep people off the switchbacks during the snow season.

I'll check out those other options.

Appreciate the reply.

Link Copied to Clipboard