Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
1 members (WanderingJim), 68 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hiking to Trail Camp
#58498 04/19/21 10:37 PM
M
Mike70 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Good day I’m new to the board but not to hiking. I have previous experience hiking San Jacinto Peak twice, Alta Peak, and the Mt. Whitney trail up to Lone Pine Lake in March besides that I regularly hike Mt Laguna & the PCT, El Cajon mountain...all this since the pandemic began.

My goal is to do at least a day hike from the portal up the main trail to trail camp before quota season May 1st. Permits are easy to get right now and I’m aware theres a little snow as I hiked part of the trail last month.

I’m wondering if hiking to trail camp on the main trail in micro spikes on big boots with poles & gaiters is advisable?.

Although I would love nothing more than to overnight at trail camp and summit the next day I would only try if the conditions seem right but my main goal is to test my new sleeping system and tent. Also want to get some great photos of the lakes and summit block.

I don’t own crampons yet but I think you can rent them in Lone Pine IIRC

Best regards
Mike

Last edited by Mike70; 04/19/21 11:41 PM.
Re: Hiking to Trail Camp
Mike70 #58499 04/19/21 11:25 PM
S
S
I'm betting you could make it to Trail Camp with the microspikes. There might be a few places you would wish for bigger spikes -- just above Lone Pine Lake, if the trail is covered by snow. If you can follow the trail, then that area would be ok. Climbing above Mirror Lake, if the snow coverage is good, people leave the trail and head up the slope directly to Trail Camp. In that area, the trail hugs the slope on the right, so it could have some steep sids that you would be better avoiding.

Mike70 #58501 04/20/21 06:49 AM
M
M
Mike,

Sounds like a fun time. I'm in Escondido. If you get into a bind renting them, you can borrow my Kahtoola KTS trail crampons (great compromise between full crampons and microspikes) if you need them. Or you can borrow my microspikes if you don't have any. I also have actual crampons (I believe they are Grivel G10) I bought a couple years ago but have never used them so I can't tell you much about them, but you're welcome to borrow those too.

All the best.

Mike

Steve C #58506 04/21/21 01:19 AM
M
Mike70 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks, I don’t know how much it’s snowed since I hiked in March but there were plenty of shaded areas with hard packed snow and ice before Lone Pine Lake & no snow or slush.

Last edited by Mike70; 04/21/21 01:21 AM.
MikeH #58507 04/21/21 01:31 AM
M
Mike70 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I might take you up on the crampons I have Katoola spikes they’re literally tire chains with studs. Just missing the Crampons and axe.

I spent some time building up my backpacking gear from scratch so that’s expensive but worth it.

Regards Mike

Mike70 #58508 04/21/21 07:35 AM
M
M
I'm no expert, but the KTS trail crampons seem to fit a sweet spot for those who don't need aggressive "real" crampons but want something more than microspikes. You can borrow whatever gear I have you think might work for you.

Probably won't need it (or want to carry the weight) but I also have a brand new Petzl Summit 2 Ice Axe if you want to borrow that also.

I'm off the 15 and El Norte Pkwy if you are in the area and want to swing by to check things out... or stop by on your way up to Whitney.

I'll PM you my contact info... if you don't get an email notification, look in the upper right of the forum window next to your user name and there will be a "mail" icon.

M

MikeH #58522 04/25/21 04:23 PM
M
Mike70 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Any idea how long the hike is from the portal to Trail Camp? I think from the trail head to Outpost Camp would be 3 hrs or so. Lastly, Trail camp to the summit does any know how long?

The reason I’m asking is I plan to drive from San Diego to the trail arriving around lunch or afternoon, hike u to at least outpost camp but the goal is to set up camp before dark.
Friday, either hike to the summit or trail camp and explore the area and back down or camp somewhere and head out no later than early Sat.

I called the ranger station today and asked them if I stayed overnight Friday and hiked back down Saturday with an overnight permit.

They told me I’d be grandfathered in so can stay over Friday night do thats covered.

Thanks, Mike

Mike70 #58526 04/25/21 10:03 PM
S
S
Mike70, that's a really aggressive plan when it comes to the altitude. AMS could hit you if you go much above Trail Camp on the second day, but you might be lucky -- it just depends on how well your body adapts to the altitude.

Nobody can predict how long you will take for any section of the route. It depends on your condition and abilities. Just look at the elevation for each section, and consider that the higher you go, the slower you will go.

With such a quick trip, I'd plan on camping at Outpost both nights, and attempt the summit on the second day. If you are strong (and lucky with the altitude) you might make the summit. You will know, as you climb above Trail Camp how far you can go. Do not go above Trail Camp without crampons and ice axe!

Permits are good for anyone (no quota) through April 30 (Friday), and they are designated by the date you start the hike. If you start on an overnight trip in April, that permit enables you to stay as many nights as you want. The quota and permits starting May 1 or later only apply to hikes that start May 1 or later.

Steve C #58527 04/26/21 01:18 AM
M
Mike70 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Outpost camp seems highly likely unless I’m feeling good and on the first night however, I thought if I made good time and still feeling good by Outpost that maybe I could make Consultation Lake or Trail Camp, pitch my tent get some rest and try on Friday morning I can acclimate.

I’m open to suggestions as I’m still finalizing my itinerary since I reserved my permit yesterday.

Since I’m renting a car for this road trip its scheduled to be returned not Saturday morning that's why I was trying to head hone Friday night or early Saturday Morning.

I understand what you’re saying and I don’t take AMS lightly as I’ve experienced some when hiking San Jacinto Peak elev 10,834 and Alta Peak elev 11,207. Usually, I’d start to feel it on the hike down and the nausea passes.
Mt. Laguna area averages 5000-6000 feet so I hiked that area quite a bit. However, you can never predict how altitude will affect you so if it happens then I won’t push myself.

Any recommendations to help mitigate AMS...maybe Ibuprofen or Dramamine?

On both mountains you really start to feel it on the summit block or above the tree line it gets harder to breath combined with the steepness everything was in slow motion.

Lessons learned from this is eat more carbs and drink more water with Nuun electrolyte tabs.

That said... I’m packing more food probably dehydrated bag meals and snacks.

Like my first post the goal is to make it to Trail Camp Thats the minimum anything else is bonus depends on how I feel, weather etc...

Someone offered to lend me they’re crampons and ice axe and if that fails I can rent them close to the Lone Pine area. Worst case scenario if I can get those items I still have my own micro spikes. I’m not going to attempt anything that equipment can’t handle.

The other concern I have is reliable water sources past Lone Pine Lake are frozen mostly. I can carry 4.5 L with my camelbak and water bottle but I have a Sawyer filter with bags IIRC so 2L additional water.

Last edited by Mike70; 04/26/21 01:33 AM.
Mike70 #58537 04/27/21 10:12 AM
D
D
Any idea how long the hike is from the portal to Trail Camp?

The trail is divided into five sections, starting at Whitney Portal, 8,200 ft
3.3 miles, 10,000 ft, Lone Pine Lake
4.8 miles, 10,700 ft, Mirror Lake and Outpost Camp
6.5 miles, 12,000 ft, Trail Camp
8.8 Miles, 13,600 ft, Trail Crest
10.8 miles, 14,500 ft, Mt. Whitney

That's what I measured, starting 0.25 miles from the trailhead where I parked. As of 4/25, no snow to Lone Pine Lake, spots of snow to Trail Camp, no spikes needed, just trekking poles. Above Trail Camp, you'd want crampons and ice ax. I did not get past Trail Crest. I would think 2 hours from Trail Camp to crest, and then another 2 hours to summit based on the snow still there.

Mike70 #58538 04/27/21 10:15 AM
D
D
I did a one-day light trip to trail crest and back in ~11 hours. Some pics might give you an idea of the conditions. It's still cold up there and snowed again on Sunday so it won't have melted much by the time you get there. Best of luck!

http://greateridiot.blogspot.com/2021/04/to-whitney-or-not-not-quite-there-but.html

Link Copied to Clipboard