Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 43 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Traverse from Mt. Mallory to Rosco Peak?
#58690 05/17/21 08:09 AM
I
illyav Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Does anyone know if you can take the ridge below Mt. Mallory to Rosco Peak and Lone Pine Peak? I've seen a video of a Sierra Challenge group taking the chute from Grass Lake to Rosco Peak (same chute used to get to Lone Pine Peak), but I haven't found any trip reports of accessing Rosco from the west. I looked on Google Earth but the images get too pixelated when I zoom in and I can't get a good visual of the terrain. Thanks.

IG: @illya__v
Re: Traverse from Mt. Mallory to Rosco Peak?
illyav #58691 05/17/21 08:58 AM
BFR Offline
This is Peak 3986 in Secor. It says the west ridge is class 4 and "there is a lot of loose rock on this ridge".

Also Bob Burd says (on descending the west ridge from Rosco Peak):
"I was interested in exploring the possibility of descending the West Ridge which Secor describes as class 4 with a lot of loose rock. Jonathan was the only other to show similar interest, the rest choosing to return the way we came. Michael later reported the class 4 step was not as difficult as it had appeared, he and a few others returning back along the East Ridge more directly. Meanwhile I was finding the West Ridge all the excitement that was advertised. Most of it was class 3 with some short sections of breath-holding class 4 found along the way. I only made it about 1/3 of the way to the saddle with LeConte before I decided to drop down the northwest side to explore a more direct route to Meysan Lake. This was a difficult, mostly fun (but sometimes scary) descent that had that unnerving feature of only showing me enough of the route ahead to keep me going, but always wondering if I'd run into an impasse below. At several such possible showstoppers I managed to find another way around and keep the descent going, my options always feeling quite limited. But it worked, and after about 45mins' effort I had reached the easier, albeit tedious, moraine below leading to Mesan Lake. As I was making my way along the moraine, I heard shouting from above and eventually spied Jonathan high on the cliffs to my right. He had taken a different route altogether but had run into a serious problem. I could see no way for him to get down from where he was and conveyed this to him, along with a quick description of where I'd gone. He would have to find his way back on his own (he would be only 30min longer returning to the trailhead, so it appears he wasted little time finding the better route)."

Last edited by BFR; 05/17/21 09:26 AM.
Re: Traverse from Mt. Mallory to Rosco Peak?
BFR #58695 05/17/21 02:29 PM
I
illyav Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Thanks a lot Ben! I suppose it's too difficult and dangerous to try then, lol. I've been up the Grass Lake chute to Lone Pine Peak but this time I wanted to avoid descending when coming from the Comb Ridge. Sounds like I'll have to though. Thanks again for the info.

IG: @illya__v

Link Copied to Clipboard