Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Playing chicken in Bishop
#5879 07/09/10 07:35 PM
AlanK Offline OP
OP Offline
If the good citizens of Bishop are at war over chickens, imagine the effect of, say, moose.

From the LA Times

Quote:
Neighbors' chickens ruffle feathers in Bishop

The issue of hen-keeping in this small Eastern Sierra town has become so contentious that the City Council washed its hands of it, placing it on the November ballot for voters to decide.

By Mike Anton, Los Angeles Times

July 9, 2010

Reporting from Bishop, Calif.

Two redheads got the feathers flying. Lucy and Goose were just tending to their business of clucking, laying eggs and pecking up bugs in Laura Smith's backyard.

"They're like vacuum cleaners," Smith said. "There isn't a bug or a spider out here."

But not everyone was enamored of the industrious exterminators. A neighbor of Smith's in the J Diamond mobile home park complained to city officials, pointing to a 1966 ordinance that prohibits "any poultry or animal yard" within 100 feet of a residence. Smith replied that the ordinance applied to commercial chicken yards, not pets.

"I know some people will say, 'This is just about a few silly chickens,' " Smith said. "But there's a lot more to it. It's about our basic freedoms. It's about being told what you can and cannot do .... We're a rural community .... What's the big deal about having a couple of chickens in Bishop?"

The big deal is that Smith is a City Council member. Her refusal to get rid of Lucy and Goose based on her interpretation of the law struck some as an abuse of power. Others, mostly chicken owners who worried that their coops' days might be numbered, backed Smith.

In January, the City Council took up the issue. At a nearby public hearing, the boss of the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power, which all but colonized Bishop and the Owens Valley to siphon its water, was explaining the agency's plans for the area.

Nevertheless, chickens drew one of the biggest City Council audiences in memory.

Bishop's birds have stirred an emotional debate that goes beyond domesticated poultry. It's caused this Eastern Sierra town of 3,600 to examine its identity: Is Bishop city or country? It's pitted natives against transplants derided as "flatlanders," and uncorked resentments rooted in the long-ago water grab.

"It caught me off-guard," said Mayor Jeff Griffiths, who recused himself from the matter because of a conflict of interest: His son once kept chickens for a 4-H project. "I can't go to the grocery store without people stopping me to ask about chickens. I ran an ultra-marathon and when I passed the aid stations, people asked: 'How's the chicken issue going?' "

No one knows how many chickens there are in Bishop. A century ago, the Owens Valley was fat with poultry and egg farms, and Bishop was the hub of the industry. Merchant G.H. Dusenbery built an egg ranch and packaging plant three miles west of town where 3,000 hens produced an average of 1,650 eggs a day.

"It's a foregone conclusion that as Owens Valley's new development progresses a host of hens will be sitting on top of the world and the eggs will be rolling everywhere," a 1928 story in The Times predicted.

Today, Bishop is a paradox, both city and country. To the west, the Sierra looms like a cathedral. To the east, the Owens River runs thick through the dry landscape like an artery pumping blood through dead tissue.

Within Bishop's 2-square-mile city limits, it's a different story. Main Street is traffic-choked and homes in cozy neighborhoods sit on standard 50-by-100-foot urban lots. With only 2% of Inyo County privately owned -- most of the rest is federal land -- attitudes toward personal space are deeply ingrained.

"There are people who'd like to go back to the days when we had no sidewalks or gutters and no fences and you could see your neighbors," said Frank Crom, 70, a former mayor and council member and a vocal opponent of chickens. "But times change .... We're so jammed in together."

Generalizations are tricky, but the anti-chicken people tend to be older folks and natives concerned about noise, disease and property values. As for the other side, younger people with children, or those who moved to Bishop looking for a faint echo of Thoreau's Walden, find the daily offering of fresh eggs to be transcendental -- and delicious.

"A lot of people like myself feel we're a rural community," said Pete Watercott. "It's what I love about Bishop."

Watercott, 58, is a walking daguerreotype, cowboy-lean in straight-leg denim and boots, with slicked-back hair and a handlebar mustache. Better known by his stage name, Fiddlin' Pete, he has been performing western music at events along the Eastern Sierra for more than 30 years.

"When people ask me, 'Where you from?,' I tell them that's a loaded question," Watercott said. "Technically, I'm from Minnesota. But if I say I'm from Bishop, the natives will say, 'Pete, you may have lived here for 30 years, but you're not from Bishop.' "

Watercott, a skilled carpenter, and his wife Kathryn Erickson have fashioned a country oasis on their double lot within sight of Main Street: Fruit trees and a greenhouse. A tiny vineyard from which they produce wine stored in an underground cellar. A burbling fake creek and pond loaded with bluegills and bass.

Then there is the chicken coop -- a spacious two-story cottage with a roof. It currently sleeps seven.

"We could put a horse and a cow out there," Erickson said jokingly. "How about goats?"

Erickson's humor masks an anger she and other pro-chicken people harbor about comments by City Council member Bruce Dishion, a retired Bishop police chief who said that people raising chickens were knowingly breaking the law.

"I felt like I was harassed and attacked," Erickson said. "It was very cop-like."

"I have a thicker skin. This isn't my first rodeo," said Dishion, 61. "I just believe in obeying the law."

Chickens became the topic of barbershop discussion. One council member said constituents began "tattling" on neighbors for all sorts of matters, not just illicit hens.

Anonymous comments on the local Sierra Wave news website revealed an incivility that, though mild compared with the standard poison oozing from Internet chat rooms, surprised many in Bishop.

Consider the exchange between "Virginia" and "Best Friend":

"I wonder if Chicken-liver ... oops, I mean Chicken-Lover, has ever had the joy of trying to sleep through the screeching of hens being attacked by Racoons, coyotes, or even dogs," Virginia wrote.

"Virginia, Please go back to your own planet. Better yet, Lock yourself in your house and eat your furniture," wrote Best Friend. "Go back to Metropolis, where superman protects you from all the big, scary and stinky farm animals. Bishop will be ok without one more flatlander type."

"It is obvious that you are a young, smart-a-- who probably moved from LA to Mammoth, couldn't afford to live there and ended up here."

"I was born here. You're obviously a hypocrite."

Griffiths, the mayor, said the chatter stirred up emotions and "put people on both sides into their trenches."

"In Bishop, we solve our problems face to face. You tend to be more civil that way because you're going to see that person at the grocery, you're going to see them at church and serve with them on the Mule Days committee," he said. "We haven't had a history with the kind of vitriol that happens on the Internet."

The acrimony bubbled over on Home Street during a heated discussion that ended with the cops being called.

Clifford Crickette, 81, says he's never liked his next-door neighbor, although it's hard to pin down why except for a vague complaint involving a noisy rototiller. Larry Clark, 62, swears he has no animosity toward Crickette -- although he does have a problem with his four chickens.

"He's raising them right outside our bedroom window," Clark said. "Those chickens wake us up every morning. And they give off an odor that makes my wife's asthma and allergies act up."

Clark spoke out on the chicken issue before the City Council. That ticked off Crickette. One day, the two exchanged words in front of Crickette's home.

"He kept saying, 'You're trying to get my chickens killed!' " Clark said.

"He kept asking me why I didn't like him," said Crickette, whose shock of white hair, weathered face and salty language give him the bearing of a 19th century sea captain. "I told him, 'Get the hell out of here!' "

Then he sprayed Clark with a garden hose.

Clark dialed 911.

Police calmed everyone down, but Crickette has no intention of getting rid of his chickens.

"I'm keeping them just to keep him pissed off," he said. "And for the fresh eggs."

City Administrator Rick Pucci says that in his 30 years on the job, there have been occasional complaints about backyard chickens, but they were resolved quickly and amicably. That the issue is contentious now is a sign of the times, he said.

"Today there are just more and more requests for the city to get involved in disputes because neighbors don't get along with each other," Pucci said. "So they come to the government to settle things."

Eventually the City Council concluded it could not settle this dispute, owing to the fact that two of its five members either owned, or had owned, chickens. So voters will decide in November.

The ballot measure, if approved, would allow residents to have up to four chickens or rabbits or a combination of the two as long as coops and food are kept 20 feet from a neighbor's property line. The referendum will cost taxpayers about $2,500 -- the price of finding out what kind of town Bishop wants to be.

"I'm going to beat the bushes so it passes 5 to 1," Watercott said.

"What gets me," his wife added, "is why are we spending several thousand dollars to decide something that's that stupid? If the City Council can't decide something like this, what are they going to do when a serious issue comes up?"

Re: Playing chicken in Bishop
AlanK #5883 07/09/10 11:11 PM
S
S
That's pretty funny.

Fresno city does not allow chickens, but the city is dotted with county "islands", where the chickens are permitted. So the issue caused some ruffled feathers here recently, too.

AlanK #5885 07/10/10 04:24 AM
Funny. I had never heard or read the phrase "It's not our first rodeo" before.

A minute after reading that post, I checked out CNN for the news & found this article.

Photo 360 was another flip-flop on the beach, this one pink. Even though the oil is less visible now, he says he can dig through the sand and find tar balls and other evidence of local effects.

"It's almost surreal. It almost does not sound like it could be real," he said. "It's devastating. It makes my heart sink."

But Hamilton has weathered many storms and remains hopeful.

"This isn't our first tragedy. It's not our first rodeo; you know what I'm saying? But it's still pretty devastating."

Verum audaces non gerunt indusia alba. - Ipsi dixit MCMLXXII
wagga #5893 07/11/10 05:02 AM
E
E
As long as my neighbor shared some homegrown chicken with me, I wouldn't mind. No comparison between home raised chickens and store bought. Yummy.

Edison #5900 07/11/10 08:22 PM
Rod Offline
Steve,
My grand parents lived out on the westside of Fresno on Jensen.Marks is a cross street if you are familar with the area.My uncle lived across the street. Everyone and I do mean everyone out there owned acres of Thompson seedless grapes for raisins and all sorts of farm animals. Everyone had chickens,pigs and cows. I was raised thinking of Fresno as nothing but agiculture and farm animals.Fresno City not allowing chickens? Wow the world has really changed.I understand Fresno City has grown with the times but Jensen and Marks is still in the city of Fresno, I believe.

Rod #5902 07/11/10 10:22 PM
S
S
Yes, Fresno has grown like crazy -- ag land is cheap to develop, unfortunately. I spent lots of time volunteering just down the road from your grandparents place -- the Crossroads at Jensen and Fruit (Habit for Humanity).

Steve C #5905 07/12/10 07:41 AM
CaT Offline
I wonder if they still allow chickens in Sanger (or the outskirts)? I used to live there (1960-1962).

If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracle of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it.
- Lyndon Johnson, on signing the Wilderness Act into law (1964)
CaT #5926 07/12/10 09:36 PM
Rod Offline
I am sure they do CaT. Sanger is still pretty much ag.My other grandparents lived in Selma(my dads parents)We used to go through Sanger on our way to Shaver Lake. Great memories in my childhood going to Selma and then out to the farm on Jensen.I took my own kids out to their great grandparents places and then up to Shaver Lake for camping and water skiing every year for about 15 years.Then the kid's sports dictated our life after that.

Rod #5940 07/13/10 07:49 AM
CaT Offline
I was between 4 and 6 years old during our time in Sanger. I have memories of going up to Shaver Lake also, not to forget Pine Flat Lake (I called it Pine Flat Dam back then). Do a Google Map for "1512 Fifth Street, Sanger, CA". The house with the light brown roof on the north side of Fifth Street exactly where "O" Street dead-ends into Fifth Street was where we lived at that time. If you do a "street view" pointing to that house, it will be a brown house with two large trees in front of it out by the curb. Not only were those trees there when I lived there, but they were pretty much as large then, too (or so it seemed). A block to the west, and then north 2-3 blocks and on the left, is Jackson Elementary School, which is where I went to grades 1 through 3 (skipped a grade there, which is how I did 3 grades during only two years of living there). There are many more buildings on the school property now than there was when I was going there. We actually got 1" of snow in Sanger one rare time during our two years there.

I guess I sort-of hijacked the thread; so back to your regularly scheduled topic after this stroll down memory lane.

CaT

If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracle of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it.
CaT #5944 07/13/10 08:52 AM
Rod Offline
It is OK with me I enjoy the nostalgic trips down memeory lane.Of course I am easy to pull off topic.

CaT #5945 07/13/10 08:54 AM
S
S
Never mind all of that, CaT. The burning question is: Did you have any chickens in your yard. grin

Steve C #5949 07/13/10 10:16 AM
M
M
My neighbor had a few chickens here in New Hampshire. Even though the rooster would wake me up at 4am I'm still pro-chicken.

Steve C #5952 07/13/10 10:58 AM
CaT Offline
Originally Posted By: Steve C
Never mind all of that, CaT. The burning question is: Did you have any chickens in your yard. grin

Nope. Just fruit trees. However, starting in 1972, we did have chickens and roosters when we lived in Quartz Hill (between Palmdale and Lancaster). I so loved the sound of being waken up by roosters crowing in the early morning when I still lived there, that my mom actually recorded the sound of them crowing in the morning and then sent a tape (pre-CD days) of that to me out here in Ohio so I could enjoy it here! smile So I guess if I were living in B-town, I would be in favor of anyone having a small number of chickens anywhere in town.

CaT

CaT #5953 07/13/10 11:05 AM
Rod Offline
I had chickens here in Newhall untill a couple of years ago. Then the raccoons ate them.The raccoons started by stealing their eggs. When the chickens were so scared and stressed from the nightly raccoon raids the chickens stopped laying eggs. So the racoons ate them.The fresh eggs were great while they lasted.

Rod #5955 07/13/10 11:20 AM
S
S
The raccoons were obviously pro-chicken.

Rod #5983 07/14/10 09:16 AM
CaT Offline
Originally Posted By: Rod
I had chickens here in Newhall untill a couple of years ago. Then the raccoons ate them.The raccoons started by stealing their eggs. When the chickens were so scared and stressed from the nightly raccoon raids the chickens stopped laying eggs. So the racoons ate them. The fresh eggs were great while they lasted.

LMHO!!!!

We deal with racoons almost nightly out here (I'll spare you the details). So far they haven't developed a taste for cats, although they do love cat food (along with the rest of the non-cat animal kingdom here).

CaT

CaT #5991 07/14/10 02:01 PM
S
S
Originally Posted By: CaT
We deal with racoons almost nightly out here (I'll spare you the details). So far they haven't developed a taste for cats, although they do love cat food (along with the rest of the non-cat animal kingdom here).

CaT

We have this problem with the skunks where I live....

SoCalGirl #5998 07/14/10 05:53 PM
Rod Offline
I found out the raccoons really like Koi. I have a beautiful pond and it was full of beautiful big fan tail Koi.Then one by one they disappeared. My wife asked the owner of Newhall Pet what the heck is happening to our Koi they are disappearing. She said "raccoons". My wife said "we never had raccons before". Pet store owner said" You never had Koi before"

SoCalGirl #6001 07/14/10 07:36 PM
AlanK Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: SoCalGirl

Skunks or polecats?

SoCalGirl #6003 07/14/10 08:15 PM
CaT Offline
Originally Posted By: SoCalGirl

So do we. Skunks are part of the "non-racoon animal kingdom" I mentioned. So are possums, birds, deer, wild turkeys, squirrels and chipmunks.

And besides eating our cat food (if we forget to take it in at night), our skunks rip up our lawn looking for grubs just under the surface.

Our deer eat (suck, really) the bird seed right out of our large hanging feeders, leaving the outer side of the feeder covered with leftover seed kernels in dried-up deer spit.

We do leave the water bowl out all night for our 2 cats, and if the water looks like someone washed their dirty hands in it the next morning, then we know a racoon has paid us a visit, because that's exactly what they do -- watch their paws in the cat water!

CaT

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard