Next Thread
Print Thread
6/18 Alamaba Fire nr Whitney Portal Rd
#58855 06/18/21 10:13 AM
S
Splash Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Near 1am a fire was reported near Whitney Portal Road and Hogsback Rd.

Calfire named it Alabama Fire. 200+ acre, 0% containment, source unknown

https://www.fire.ca.gov/incidents/2021/6/18/alabama-fire/

Re: 6/18 Alamaba Fire nr Whitney Portal Rd
Splash #58856 06/18/21 10:15 AM
J
J
Just got an email from Recreation.gov for Horseshoe Meadows tomorrow:
This is an update related to your Recreation.gov reservation at Inyo National Forest - Wilderness Permits. The dates affected are 6/18/2021 - 6/19/2021.

You are receiving this email at the request of local facility managers. We wanted you to be aware that a wildfire affects your reservation; please do not visit this location until it is deemed safe. Follow-up communications will be distributed as soon as local managers are able provide additional details. Please continue to monitor this location’s facility page on Recreation.gov for status updates or visit the agency’s website for details. Keep in mind, local personnel may be attending to this urgent situation and not available to provide updates immediately. Please be patient as conditions are assessed and closures are implemented.

This is for Horseshoe Meadows but I wouldn't be surprised if they do the same for Whitney Portal...

jacobbendicksen #58858 06/18/21 11:27 AM
J
J
WP closed:
A location closure has been issued for WHITNEY PORTAL from Fri, Jun 18, 2021 - Tue, Jun 22, 2021 due to Fire .

If your reservation has already begun, you will need to depart the campground on Fri, Jun 18, 2021 and you will be refunded the remaining nights on your reservation.

If this location closure affects a future trip, we wanted to provide you with options for how you can proceed:

Cancel your reservation and receive a full refund.
You can review and cancel your reservation under the "My Account" section on Recreation.gov.
Credit/debit card payments will be refunded to the card associated with your account, or you'll receive a refund check in the mail if you paid by cash or check (please allow up to 8 weeks).
Modify your reservation to any other available days. No modification fee will be charged.
You can also change your reservation to any new date(s) without being charged a modification fee. This includes changing the start date, adding days or removing days. The new reservation date must be available and not impacted by the closure.
Hold your reservation (no action required) and see if the location reopens before your visit.
If the location reopens before your reservation starts and you have not cancelled, you'll be able to take your trip. You will receive an email from WHITNEY PORTAL indicating the location has reopened, and all standard change and cancellation policies will apply to your reservation.
If part of your reservation falls before the closure period, those nights are still reserved for you and will not be automatically refunded. Your reservation will be automatically shortened on the start date of the closure period and unused nights will be refunded.
If the location remains closed at the start of your reservation, we will cancel your reservation and provide a full refund, even if part of your reservation falls after the last day of the closure. If you would like to camp on dates after the closure end date, modify your reservation so it falls entirely outside the closure before your reservation begins.
The experience and wellbeing of visitors is our top priority, and we apologize for any inconvenience with this location closure. We appreciate your understanding, and you should expect to receive additional information from WHITNEY PORTAL as it become available.

jacobbendicksen #58859 06/18/21 08:11 PM
S
S
There's a 7 PM update on sierra wave.net. Fire caused by lightning, 419 acres, 10% contained, with 260 personnel assigned. Road closures Whitney Portal Road at Hogback and Movie Road at Hogback. Confusingly, it also says that evacuations were lifted and campgrounds are open. Authorities decided that quickly that it was safe to lift evacuation orders? And Whitney Portal Campground is open, but the road is closed?

Last edited by SoCal Jim; 06/18/21 08:12 PM.
SoCal Jim #58860 06/19/21 07:01 AM
C
C
Is Whitney trail cleared and open to hike?

Splash #58861 06/19/21 09:27 AM
B
B
Looks like the fire is right next to the Whitney Portal rd.
Latest I've found is 419 acres 30% contained as of 7am 6/19.
https://forums.wildfireintel.org/t/ca-bdu-alabama/16632
https://forums.wildfireintel.org/t/ca-bdu-alabama/16617/23
The discussions seem to indicate they are making good progress but I'll admit most of it is over my head.
I have permits for the 30th and 2nd so I'll be watching closely.

Bender #58862 06/20/21 10:44 PM
S
Splash Offline OP
OP Offline
S
NEW FIRE in the WP area: INYO Fire WHITNEY PORTAL on alert to prepare to evacuate

It's only listed as 1 acre, but it has potential to get into Meysan Lake drainage area.

https://sierrawave.net/updates-lightning-starts-inyo-creek-fire-near-mt-whitney/

Sounds like it was likely started by lightning about the time the Alabama Fire was noted.

Splash #58865 06/21/21 06:35 AM
S
S
It looks fairly small right now. I hope they can knock it down fast, I hate high altitude burns, it takes so long to regrow especially in drier and drier climates.

@jjoshuagregory (Instagram) for mainly landscape and mountain pics
Snacking Bear #58866 06/21/21 07:17 AM
S
Splash Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Sierra Wave update yesterday has some good photos

The Inyo Creek Fire has grown to 50 acres and the conditions today are for gusty winds. Bascially only helicopters are feasible in this location and the winds will not only accelerate the fire but will hamper the copter drops.

https://sierrawave.net/updates-lightning-starts-inyo-creek-fire-near-mt-whitney__trashed/

Inyo Creek is on INCIWEB, not CalFire for updates

Last edited by Splash; 06/21/21 07:19 AM.
Splash #58878 06/23/21 07:04 AM
S
S
UPDATE 6/23/21

It looks like there are two incidents, one activated and one registered as contained according to Cal Fire.

The earliest Alabama Fire is listed at 100% containment, having been knocked down by the CAL FIRE San Bernardino Unit a BIG thanks to those lads and lasses cutting line!

The Inyo Creek Fire which is further west and burning amid the hills lists no (perhaps 0%) containment. I imagine those rugged and rocky hills are particularly dangerous to work in. I imagine they are focusing on structure defense where safer to attempt.

@jjoshuagregory (Instagram) for mainly landscape and mountain pics

Link Copied to Clipboard