Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 228 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Siberian Outpost - Boreal Plateau - Funston Lake
#59711 07/23/22 08:51 AM
OP Offline
Hi all,

After returning from Mt. Langley via the PCT, I laid eyes on the Siberian Outpost and was immediately intrigued. Researching more on the area, I read about large golden trout, albeit decades ago, in Funston lake. My next trip I want to explore this area and do a little catch and release. Has anyone here been through there? I would imagine that taking the Siberian Pass route at the intersection of Rock Creek trail and the PCT would be the most direct path to the outpost, then meander up the valley towards the plateau. Does anyone know of any trails from there (maintained or otherwise) all the way out to the Boreal Plateau and ultimately Funston lake? Due to the terrain, bushwhacking should be no problem. I would love to hear from you who may have made it out that way.

Thanks!

Re: Siberian Outpost - Boreal Plateau - Funston Lake
805_backpacker #59712 07/24/22 12:55 PM
P
P
I haven't been to Funston Lake, but have, on two occasions, been to Rocky Lakes Basin. Both times I travelled over Cottonwood Pass down to Big Whitney Meadow and then picked up the trail to Rocky Lakes Basin. While camped at the lakes the first time, I took a cross country route out of the lower lake to the ridge which looks down on Siberian Basin. From there I continued my climb up the attached ridge and followed it for about a mile (the ridge is amazingly flat). The ridge looks down on Big Whitney Meadows to the south, Langley and the Major to the East and Whitney to the North. Below was Siberian Basin.

I am very fmiliar with Siberian Pass and the surrounding area having hike the pass and sections of the PCT.

The next day, I again took the route up to the ridge and decended down to Siberin basin and followed the basin East until I intersected with the Siberian Pass Trail.

The sectond time, I repeated the route except that about half way toward the Siberian Pass trail, I went North since I knew from looking at the maps that the PCT was about 200 yards in the trees. And so it was.

Going back to the first time, while on the ridge I explored other ridges, but not Boreal Plateau.

So, besides the Rock Lakes Trail, there are no other trails. However, your thought of taking the route through Siberian Basin is reasonable.

I will mention this to you, if for some reason you take the Rocky Lakes Trail I decided to tae a cross country route up a canyon to the lower lake. From Cottonwood Pass Trailhead to Lower Rocky Lakes it took me about8 8 hours.

To be honest I have been interested in Funston Lake and have heard over the years of cross country route down to the Kern where it is about a mile from the hotsprings.

Oh, all the fish have been removed from Rocky Lakes back in 2008. No fish!!!!

paul

Link Copied to Clipboard