Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 207 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Info on Le Conte from the West
#59725 08/01/22 08:29 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Doing a trip up Old Army Pass into Miter Basin next week with a planned camp at Iridescent Lake. We would like to summit Le Conte from Iridescent. The only information I can find is the brief description of the West Couloir in Secor. Any additional information on this route would be greatly appreciated.

Also is it possible to go from the south slope of Langley to Iridescent directly and not down to Soldier Lakes and into the bottom of the basin.

Re: Info on Le Conte from the West
Madbutcher #59731 08/01/22 11:37 PM
S
S
A few years ago, I tried getting to Sky Blue Lk via Mt Langley, but I didn't carry my pack high enough before dropping it to summit Langley. (You need to climb to 13,600 or higher on Langley before you could descend the west slope. I think Secor calls the west slope of Langley a Class 2 walk)

So I descended to upper Soldier Lk, planning to work my way north and northeast around the nose of Major General. I have been told that route works. ...but again, I didn't go high enough, and got into a bushwhack descent down to Lower Soldier. I never saw anything inviting to climb northward in the south-facing stream trace between upper and lower Soldier, and continued to the n-nw shore of lower soldier, where there is an easy ascent to the ridge nw of lower Soldier Lk.

I proceeded north cross-country, and eventually reached Rock Creek. I finally made to the north shore of Sky Blue, at dusk. I was so exhausted that I lost all my dinner.

I had camped the night before at the northern-most unnamed lake of Cottonwood lakes (gps 36.51367, -118.22725. elev 11,600 ), and climbed the steep slope to the Langley crest just to the west.

So... good luck on your LeConte trip. If I were to try it again, I'd skip Langley, go to upper Soldier, and skirt the nose of Major General. If you're able to carry your overnight gear nearly to the Langley summit, you could try that route--I am/was too old for that route.

Steve C #59742 08/03/22 06:17 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks for the info Steve. We are also planning to stay "high" and wrap around under the Major General but if it's bushwhacking might be better to drop down lower to the stream at NW end of LSL. I will post a report of the trip.
First we have to figure out if we can get to Cottonwood lakes trailhead Monday on Horseshoe meadow road.

Madbutcher #59745 08/04/22 08:21 AM
S
S
Originally Posted by Madbutcher
We are also planning to stay "high" and wrap around under the Major General but if it's bushwhacking might be better to drop down lower to the stream at NW end of LSL.
No no! If you drop down, THAT's where the bushwhacking is. Heading north above upper Soldier Lk is open. I just didn't go high enough. It is clear open forest up slope, no bushes.

Steve C #59747 08/05/22 07:30 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Thank you Steve for clarifying. Hopefully we can shorten the route a little. I think we will go that way instead of off the back of Langley. I thought Secor's class 2 description to the west was referring to this trail to soldier lakes. We will have to assess Le Conte if or when we reach Iridescent Lake.

The Mountains are calling and I'm going!

Link Copied to Clipboard