Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
1 hiker on Sept 25 for Whitney day hike
#59797 09/20/22 06:59 PM
S
Stan Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi,

Anyone has space for 1 hiker, me, in their group on Sept 25 for day hike?

Thanks,
Stan

Re: 1 hiker on Sept 25 for Whitney day hike
Stan #59798 09/20/22 10:38 PM
G
G
Stan,

Everything is online, you should go to recreation.gov website, register and get permits. I'm fishing already for a two months there and got all but one ticket for my group. I think there are very good chances that you get your permit (overnight or all day). As for this moment, there are 32 available day permits available for September 21st. As your hiking day approaches, keep trying to refresh window as permits appear and quickly disappear.

Good luck!

Gintaras #59799 09/21/22 12:03 AM
S
Stan Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Gintras,

Thanks for the info on permit. I'm mostly looking for a group to hike with. I don't want to hike this long distance all by myself.

Stan #59800 09/21/22 10:04 AM
T
tif Online
T
Joining an unknown/unfamiliar group could leave you hiking alone anyway... it can be difficult to vet strangers for such a big hike to ensure you have similar styles/goals/risk management as well as pacing. I'm not intending to discourage you, just make sure you realize that jumping on someone else's permit might not meet the goals you are seeking to 'not hike alone'.

That said - there will be LOTS of folks on the trail - so you won't be alone much. If that's not 'safe' for you - it might be best to wait for next season and pull together a group of your own (or join a group that can train together ahead of the hike) to ensure everyone in the group is on the same page laugh

tif #59801 09/21/22 02:00 PM
S
Stan Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Really good point.

I have a group, but problem is no one has the time to travel and climb. And this weekend seems like last window of good weather for the season. Just a little greedy to get to the top.

I'm contemplating hiking alone, but I've never done that on hiskes longer than 15 miles. Specially night hiking. May be this will be the first time.

Stan #59802 09/22/22 09:08 AM
If you're really anxious to get up there one last time this year (you are absolutely correct about the weather window, these next few days look ideal and after that, it's going to be a crapshoot) and you have the permit, this is what I'd do.

Get up to the Portal, observe people unloading and strike up conversations, especially with larger groups. I'd avoid under-25 couples as they tend to be the most anti-social and would prefer to do their own thing (I was probably the exact same at that age). Depending on when you are going up, you'll probably meet people up on-trail as well. It definitely makes it seem to go a lot quicker when you're talking with others. People love talking about themselves, so if you find a group, start asking them questions about themselves and just keep asking questions and listen away, you'll find no quicker path to get a total stranger to warm up to you. You'll learn a lot about people as well such as the key "will this person stick around if I have an issue?". People who show no interest in you (who don't return your question with "how about yourself?" and keep talking about themselves could be a red flag). Sorry for the obvious human psychology banter, I just find it quite fun to try to read the wide range of personalities on hiking trails.

The worst case is you work your way up to Outpost, and if you don't find anyone you want to hike with, just turn around and appreciate that you still had an amazing hike. My wife and I are actually heading up for one more trip this weekend but unfortunately we'll likely be heading downhill around the time you are potentially going up. Best wishes to you and I hope you get to make it up there. I'll probably pass you out there and not even know it!

395North #59803 09/22/22 09:29 AM
S
Stan Offline OP
OP Offline
S
These are some good detailed points.
I was planning to do what you suggested. In the dark on Whitney portal, when I'd see headlamps, will try to strike up a conversation and gauge if someone is okay me walking with them.
I think if i make it to the outpost camp, I'll continue on from there.

Still hoping someone offers to include me in a group here, before I start from the bay area.

Stan #59804 09/22/22 09:46 AM
Ohhh, you are doing the one-day hike? Major respect to you, I wish we had the stamina to do the full thing in a day. At night it certainly will be easier to find people as you'll see headlamps all over the place. The last time we started at night we had a solo hiker join up with us once we all got spooked by what looked like a predator's glowing eyes looking down at us from the switchbacks near the start (turned out to be a deer after spending 10 minutes of yelling at it).

Also, you may already know this stuff but be mindful of those bears at night around the portal, those guys are real jerks. On our trip last month we met a lady who claimed a bear snagged her backpack that was leaning up against her leg in the parking lot, she lost her phone/garmin/food, everything, and the poor lady was still trying to still hike up carrying a shopping bag with what little she had left. There's a Youtube video posted just a few days ago showing a nice fat bear up there having its way with someone's stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwof7KtI1cw

I hope you find your group, I'm betting that you will. Be sure to post some pictures if you go!

395North #59805 09/22/22 11:36 AM
G
G
Been waiting for 3 years to fly half globe and to repeat climb and you saying weather will be crappy.. Following mountain-forecast, seems not that bad at least for October 3. What forecasts you use?

Gintaras #59807 09/22/22 01:58 PM
S
Stan Offline OP
OP Offline
S
@Gintaras
https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Mount-Whitney/forecasts/4418

The forecast for Oct 3 seem pretty bad. It seems to be very cold.

@395North
If a bear takes away my backpack, I'm not starting the hike. Let alone hiking with a shopping bag

Link Copied to Clipboard