Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 219 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Onion Valley to Mt Whitney - Trip Report
#59809 10/10/22 11:16 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Here to update on my recent 4 day (Oct 3 - 7) hike.

The weather was perfect all the way - Sun coming out as expected and nights dropping down to 32/33 with the exception of a couple of nights at 28

There's plenty of water everywhere and depending on your pace (mine slow as molasses) , a liter should be more than enough before hitting the next watering hole. It wasn't until half way thru the hike i realized this

While up climb to Forester pass was challenging , it was the down climb and the steepness that caused my aging knees problems.

Many bear lockers available - Vidette Meadows, Crabtree area, and one in between i can't remember

Many helpful folks along the way, PCT hikers being the most helpful. However, be careful when PCT hikers tell you its a gentle hike smile For example from Crab Tree Meadows to Guitar Lake is anything but a gentle hike.

There was an elevation gain of 1200 ft, and that's before going up to trail crest and onward to the Whitney Summit.

Mt Whitney as always did not disappoint. At even 9:30AM , it was nice and sunny, but with some wind of course. I did need to wear layers.
(just as a side note: does anyone else think there's now more rocks on the 99 switchbacks and on the Trail camp to Outpost routes ? It seemed that way to me from the times before)

All in all great hike and well worth the time and effort.

Please excuse if these are obvious to many here. Just thought to update for others planning the route.

1 member likes this: 395North
Re: Onion Valley to Mt Whitney
BTheHiker #59811 10/10/22 11:01 PM
S
S
Thanks for the trip report. Where were your camping spots? It's been a bunch of years since I hiked that section. I think we hauled water from guitar Lake, and spent the night on the summit. But it wasn't this late in the year.

Re: Onion Valley to Mt Whitney - Trip Report
Steve C #59813 10/11/22 07:53 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Apart from OV itself , Vidette Meadows , the moonscape camping spots just at the base of Forester (so beat up couldn't move an inch south smile. This area is exposed and temps drop below 32. , Crabtree meadows
Last day was fun when i realized i couldn't make the summit in time. Holed up at a bivy site just after Guitar lake - seemed like a nice set up to summit the next day, and it was.

There are two bivy /tent sites that tend to fill up fast, one about 500 ft vertical from Guitar Lake and another 2000ft vertical from Guitar lake , just below trail crest/JMT junction. EIther can be used as launching spots for the summit.

Thanks for the prompt Steve, just fixed the Title to include Trip Report.

Re: Onion Valley to Mt Whitney - Trip Report
BTheHiker #59814 10/12/22 08:42 PM
M
M
Thanks for posting.

Link Copied to Clipboard