Next Thread
Print Thread
Memorial Day weekend
#60005 05/13/23 05:49 PM
A
asharma Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hey, planning to be in Lone Pine for the memorial day weekend. I have a pass for Whitney for 27th May but given the discussions on this forum I think I am going to skip. I'll be hiking alone, have good winter hiking experience from the Adirondacks but no mountaineering experience and thinking that going up the chute on Whitney would be very risky. Let me know if anyone thinks otherwise.
Any clues on conditions on trails for Mt Langley and White mountain? These come across as less technical hikes that could be done with some good traction, is that an accurate assessment? New plan is to do both of these, or at least one of these. Would appreciate any feedback/tips, thanks.

Re: Memorial Day weekend
asharma #60006 05/14/23 12:10 PM
BFR Offline
White Mountain has a lot of snow and the road to the traditional start is closed. I suppose you could try the 10,000' vert from Bishop, but you could end up climbing 8,000' only to face post hole type snow.

Mt. Langley is also going to be a problem. The road, Horseshoe Meadows, is going to be closed for a while. The only real option would be from Tuttle Creek, which would involve 7,500' of gain and the NE Couloir which is full of 35 degree snow.

If you want a big day, I'd recommend hiking to Keynot or Inyo Peak. These are 11k+ peaks accessible from Lone Pine and are on the dry eastern side of the valley, i.e., the Inyo Mountains. I was up there a few weeks ago and I think you'll be good.

If you are deadset on the Whitneyzone, check out Thor Peak. It gets you a great view of Whitney, and it's only a 12er. If you take the southern approach (from Mirror Lake) you'll encounter some snow, but it may be OK.

Last edited by BFR; 05/14/23 12:18 PM.
1 member likes this: NVG
BFR #60015 05/16/23 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by BFR
If you are deadset on the Whitneyzone, check out Thor Peak. It gets you a great view of Whitney, and it's only a 12er. If you take the southern approach (from Mirror Lake) you'll encounter some snow, but it may be OK.

Thor Peak is my favorite mountain in the Whitney region. The view from its summit is captivating!

BFR #60017 05/17/23 10:29 AM
A
asharma Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks for the reply. I am not seeing any incremental good info coming out of the area. The melt seems to have started but memorial day seems too early for significant improvement. Saw some recent photos of cottonwood campground on another thread and its completely covered in snow.
Not seeing any new info for white mountain though.
I'll checkout the peaks suggested, thank you. Planning to checkout the trailheads in person and when I am there and speak with rangers and recent hikers.
Also looking at Death valley as a back up option for the trip. Telescope peak looks like an interesting hike and the rest of the park looks amazing.

Link Copied to Clipboard