Next Thread
Print Thread
Cottonwood Lakes arrival time
#60184 08/07/23 08:21 AM
R
OP Offline
R
Hi All,
We have a permit for a day use climb on 8/31 (hopefully conditions have cleared by then) and are planning on trying to get a spot at Cottonwood Lakes on 8/29 to spend a night at altitude and do some acclimatizing hikes. I am concerned with availability since these are first come, first serve sites. Has anyone stayed here recently during the week that can share what time we should arrive by to increase our chances of getting a spot? Thanks!

Re: Cottonwood Lakes arrival time
Ray Scardigno #60185 08/07/23 01:46 PM
L
L
I was there last year in October, the few people that were there were mostly sleeping in their cars in the trailhead parking lot, the campground was mostly empty. Of course August is more popular. How set are you on the campground? If you are ok with sleeping in your car in the parking lot as a backup plan in case all the sites are filled, you will probably be ok I would guess.

Ray Scardigno #60186 08/08/23 10:22 PM
M
M
There are multiple spots at both Cottonwood Lakes and Cottonwood Pass trailheads. According to: https://www.hikespeak.com/campgrounds/horseshoe-meadow-campgrounds-golden-trout-wilderness/

Eighteen sites are set just off the road near the Cottonwood Pass trailhead and twelve at the adjacent Cottonwood Lakes trailhead. Both are $6 per night with fire rings, picnic tables, potable water, and vault toilets. These sites are classified as “walk-ins” because campers do not actually set up their tents right by their vehicles. Instead, campers must walk in a couple hundred feet from the road. Additionally, ten equestrian sites designed for human and horse go for $12 a night (prices as of 2018).

I would have guessed a lot more spots than that. I've only stayed in the Cottonwood Pass sites. It's a large area. I've been there twice in the past couple years. Didn't have a problem finding a spot.

MikeH #60187 08/10/23 10:31 AM
R
OP Offline
R
Thanks for the information! We will arrive in the morning so hopefully a spot will be open. If not, we will just car camp for the night anyway as suggested. Thanks again!

MikeH #60192 08/14/23 04:07 PM
This is Horse Shoe Meadow. I have never not found a space to park or camp. I've been there many times and one time was the only one there (late season).

I have always paid the fees, but I don't think anyone checks. You put a hanger on your rear view mirror from the registration.

If you are a through-hiker and not camping then the parking is free.

Don't expect any cell phone coverage there. Also, have at least a quarter tank of gas before heading up if you are driving.

You have to camp in designated areas. We were warned about this.

Ray Scardigno #60215 09/29/23 12:03 PM
I'm going to add extra info on getting to Horse Shoe Meadows since I was just there yesterday and today, but don't want to start another thread.

The stretch of road to the Mt Whitney portal between Tuttle Creek Rd and Horse Shoe Meadow Rd is under construction and closed. Doesn't look like they will be done anytime soon.

Visitors are being told to take Lubken Canyon Rd (which in some places is single lane with both directions to share) or Tuttle Creek Rd to Horse Shoe Meadow Rd, (which looks to be recently paved, but is also narrow and in some places steep and in others with limited visibility -- so drive slow and be careful).

1 member likes this: MikeH

Link Copied to Clipboard