Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
WhitneyOvernight Sep 26-27, 1st timers Preparation advice pl
#6926 08/27/10 12:27 PM
M
Mike Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi Guys,
Maybe some of you will spend couple of minutes to comment.
I am planning to take on Mt Whitney trail with my friend at the end of September.
We know what weather can get bad this time of the year. We hope it will be nice, but we want to be prepared.

Most of the gear we have so far is low mid-price range.
Is there anything on the lower end that any of you could recommend (Tent, backpack, liner?)

We are getting:

-20-Degree sleeping bag
-One person tents --Which one you think is ok: Eureka Solitaire, Spitfire, or Backountry1 or Kelty Crestone, or Sierra Designs - Light Year 1
-Some kind of self-inflating liner
-2-3 liter water camel and filter (any cheap small filters that you could recommend?)

In addition, I have researched food, but in your opinion, experience, what would be ideal to take that would be lightweight, easy to prepare and best nutrition?

How about pants, are waterproof necessary or light pants and long Johns would be enough?
Of course on the top 3 layers (waterproof)

Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

Mike

Re: WhitneyOvernight Sep 26-27, 1st timers-Preperation advise pl
Mike #6927 08/27/10 01:52 PM
Mike, welcome to our Whitney family.

I'm sure you will get lots of advice.

You have not stated your collective experience. Can you add that? It will be a lot easier for us to help you.

Don't buy low-end equipment. Your life may very well depend on the quality of your pack/tent/bag/boots. Borrow or rent until you know exactly what you want/need. Seriously.

Don't forget the trip report, and if there are no photos, it didn't happen.

Verum audaces non gerunt indusia alba. - Ipsi dixit MCMLXXII
Mike #6931 08/27/10 07:13 PM
W
W
Com'on Wagga, everyone is suppose to buy this stuff at least twice. How the heck is K2 and Columbia suppose to stay in business.

The weather can be cold, especially on the summit if the wind decides 30 MPH is just about right.

20* F good is good.

I'm not a big fan of 1-person tents unless I can sit up in it, which mean ~42" to head room. Figure out what works for you.

If you are a side sleeper the only way to go is an air mattress like a Big Agness Air Core. If not the lighter offerings for Therm-a-Rest should be ok.

I like the Platypus system because it is lighter. Filter...if you must, get a Steripen. I haven't filtered water in the Sierra for past few years.

All I can say about food is if you don't like at sea level you ain't going like it at 12,000'. My last bp trip, I had Pasta with Vodka sauce and Tortelini with EVO, pepper and Parmesan for dinners...none of which bought at REI or had a Mountain House label. Oh, don't forget the Jack.

Pants, I usually take convertibles and a pair of PreCips but it all depends on the weather forecast. Clothing always depends on the forecast. I only take long johns in the dead of winter.

Mike #6932 08/27/10 07:41 PM
Keep an eye on the weather reports. You won't know what the weather is "supposed" to be like until about a week before.... AND, it can change. Last October, I wore shorts with long johns underneath. I looked stupid, but I didn't care and it worked fine. Just because it's really cold in the morning doesn't mean it's not going to be really warm when you get to the switchbacks.

Eat what you think you can stomach. it can be different at 12,000 feet. Bring something you KNOW you can eat if everything else fails. Snickers? PB & J? Hot choc for the morning and maybe coffee. Nuts, small snacks and like wbtravis said....pasta can be really yummy right before bed.

20 degree bag is great. I'm not into expensive tents, just light tents....so get the lightest tent you can get with some quality. Hopefully something on sale. The pad is important.

As far as sleeping at 12,000. Though you go to bed early, it may not be easy to fall asleep. I actually used a Valium to finally get to sleep after laying there for 2 hours. I had absolutely no problems in the morning with sluggishness or waking up. And, the sleep felt good. Some people would not agree with drugs, but I laid there long enough without sleep.

Bring a filter and your camelback. Filtering is pretty quick and it saves weight.

Most importantly, have fun.

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier
Mike #6933 08/27/10 08:32 PM
T
T
I just bought this 1-man tent a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/ALP...html?rcmndsrc=2

3lbs 14oz

$91

Free Standing tent and sets up in about 5 minutes.

the two man version weighs about 14oz more and only costs $10 more.

The dollar to weight ratio was just about right for me since I am backpacking on a budget this year.

Mike #6934 08/28/10 12:04 AM
Bee Offline
Originally Posted By: Mike
Hi Guys,
Maybe some of you will spend couple of minutes to comment.

Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

Mike

- I use a 20 degree bag down to 26 degrees (with tent) and have been comfortable

- I have a $100 one man Eureka tent from Campmor and it is light & I love it

- get a good pad; it will last a long time and it will not deflate at the wrong time!

- a good reputable filter is a must if you are going to use one; anything else is a pain in the arse

- Chicken of the Sea has fully cooked/sealed Herb Chicken (sold in the Tuna dept) that can be added to any pasta dish straight from the pouch. It punches up the staying power of the pasta (yummy, too)

- My pants situation is always the same: silk weight warmies to sleep in/wear under hiking pants if need bee. Light light weight rain shells act as wind breakers or rain breakers. I do not sleep in hiking clothes so to let them dry out.

- UA T-shirt/UV long sleeve hiking shirt with a million vents allows for a large temp variance/sun management (I never hike in sleeveless even in a 100 degrees...life in the Middle East teaches you not to do this) lt fleece & rain shell will cover down to 30 degrees if you are moving. A down vest as an emergency combined with the shell & Fleece will cover almost to a blizzard!

Those last layers mentioned can be tweaked endlessly (a down sweater instead of fleece,altogether)(fleece vest & down sweater)(Fleece jacket + rain shell) whatever the insulating layers I decide on, the rain shell ALWAYS GOES because it is an excellent windbreaker over the hiking shirt. (which is usually the most I ever need when I am on the move)

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
Bee #6935 08/28/10 08:22 AM
T
T
Bee,
that sealed chicken pouch is exactly what I was looking for. I was struggling with how I was going to prepare 3 chicken breasts the day before the hike so that I could throw them in my pasta. Makes it a bunch easier if it is already prepared for me.

Mike,
I have a thread over on the WPS website where I am doing my "whitney diary". I list all of my equipment there.....My one recommendation is to not skimp on the sleeping pad if you are a side sleeper. I'm bringing two pads since I have two and bringing only one pad would be as good as sleeping on the ground for me.

http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum/...age=1#Post79618

Tom

tdtz #6936 08/28/10 09:50 AM
Bee Offline

Quote:
I'm bringing two pads since I have two and bringing only one pad would be as good as sleeping on the ground for me.

http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum/...age=1#Post79618

Tom

A versatile option with the use of 2 pads is to bring a Z- rest for the bottom layer and a Therma rest type for the top layer. Fasten the Z-rest to the outside of your pack and you have a sitting pad (it folds up in a zig-zag fashion)anytime on the trail.

Bee #6937 08/28/10 09:53 AM
Originally Posted By: Bee
[quote=Mike]silk weight warmies to sleep in/wear under hiking pants if need bee. Light light weight rain shells act as wind breakers or rain breakers.

Hi Bee....I guess this answers the question "Hey Bee, what are ya wearing"

My tent....a nice cheap Hi-Tech V-LITE 2 I got from Big 5 for around $35. It's easy and light. NO POLES. You use your trekking pole to hold it up, so that helps keep the weight down. It says it weighs 3.5 pounds, but I've weighed mine without the trekking pole and mine weighed in the 2's, probably because of the T pole.I've used it several times when I camp, fish, etc in the Sierras, and even though it was cheap, Has a nice zippered vestibule in front to knock the dirt off your boots. I love it.

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier
quillansculpture #6938 08/28/10 11:59 AM
Bee Offline
Originally Posted By: quillansculpture

Hi Bee....I guess this answers the question "Hey Bee, what are ya wearing"

I know, I know. "What shoes are you wearing" would take up a whole page, and "What are you wearing to the opera" would require an external hard drive. I could care less about food (if my friends did not bring a stove, I would probably just eat that pouched chicken & Rosemary crackers for all three meals)but 'what to wear' takes up half the night...

Mike #7045 09/02/10 10:31 AM
M
Mike Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi Guys, thank you for your replies.
I forgot to write at the beginning, that I do not have much experiences but I did Few "half day" hikes in Yosemite and Grand Canyon, Overall I am in the good shape.
I am from Florida so for practice I am doing 8-12 miles hikes, and some stairs smile

I looked deeper in to tents, I got Eureka Solitaire, but then I saw that few people wrote that poles are braking for no reason, so I've chosen two below, with best reviews (around 100$)

Eureka Spitfire
http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-Spitfire-Tent-1-Person-3-Season/dp/B002OJBRS4/ref=pd_sbs_sg_1

or

Eureka Backcountry
http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-Solo-Backcountry-1-Tent/dp/B000EQ8VJC/ref=pd_sbs_sg_3

In addition, what is a difference in those self-inflating pads comparing with Z- rest? I know z-rest is lighter, and that inflated one may not stay inflated. Any difference in comfort?
Also, what size gas container should be bring for 2 people for overnight, or two nights?
I decided to take 3-liter camel, instead of 2 liter, since there is no water source from Trail Camp up.
Last thing; Trekking Poles, I got "Synergy Sportx". Did anybody used or heard about these, because I can find any info on line.

Thx

Mike

Mike #7047 09/02/10 10:52 AM
S
S
Self inflating pads are more comfortable than zrest, at least the thicker (and heavier ones). I prefer the Thermarest Neo-air short. Light as zrest, but inflates. (and of course most expensive.)

> Also, what size gas container should be bring for 2 people for overnight, or two nights?

I use the Titanium Esbit Wing Stove. One half-ounce tablet was enough for two dinners each evening. All you need is to make your own aluminum foil wind screen. The entire stove, windscreen and fuel is less than 4 oz!

Mike #7049 09/02/10 01:12 PM
The backcountry tent is one I've used for several years. I'm 6'4" and there is plenty of room in it for me and all my gear. The rain fly looks inadequate but if it's blowing proper orientation of the tent does the trick. Vertical rain is no problem for the fly.

Don't use an inflatable pad anywhere except inside your tent or on top of your ground cover or you will put holes in it. The z-rest is really handy for a soft spot when stopping for lunch or whatever.

Mike
Mike Condron #7050 09/02/10 03:20 PM
T
T
Where in Florida are your from Mike?

trail runner #7052 09/02/10 03:30 PM
M
Mike Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Stuart (North of West Palm Beach)

Mike #7080 09/03/10 08:15 PM
T
T
Mike,

Good to see another Floridian whacked enough to fly across the country just to hike Whitney. I live in Orlando, and just made the trip about 3 weeks ago. We had a blast. It looks like you are doing your homework, which is great. Best of luck to you and let me know if you have other questions and/or how your trip goes.

Kent Williams

trail runner #7116 09/07/10 04:06 PM
M
Mike Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thank you Trail Runner,
Do you have any photos from your trip posted anywhere?

Mike

Re: WhitneyOvernight Sep 26-27, 1st timers Preparation advice pl
Mike #7118 09/07/10 06:53 PM
Mike, one other thing to keep in mind with the weather and your late September dates - Yak-Trax or micro-spikes. If you get a snow dump up high before your start, you'll want something with a little traction, especially coming from Florida and having limited mountain experience. These along with trekking poles should keep you reasonably stable in fresh snow or slush. They're worthless on ice, though.

Last year the first decent snow dump on Whitney was in early October, so your dates are in the window of possibility. I wouldn't buy them before you leave Florida (assuming you could even find them down there), but watch the weather and trail reports. If you decide it's a good idea to have them before you start your hike, the sporting goods and mountaineering stores in Lone Pine have them. The Vegas REI stores also have them, if that's your in-bound destination. Yak-Trax are relatively cheap ($20 or so), the micro-spikes a bit pricier ($50-$70).

Good luck and post a TR. Like wagga said, if there are no photos, it didn't happen.

Mike #7136 09/07/10 10:36 PM
S
S
Originally Posted By: Mike
Thank you Trail Runner,
Do you have any photos from your trip posted anywhere?

Here you go, Mike: Father-son trip on the MR 8/8-8/9

Steve C #7153 09/08/10 04:02 PM
T
T
Thanks Steve. I have been out of town and hadn't had a chance to respond to Mike's post. I actually met Bulldog in Atlanta last night for dinner, which was great. We had a great time talking about our recent Whitney trips.

Mike, sorry I only had a couple of photos to share. One tip that I will give you that may not have been offered yet is to make sure your camera still has it's memory card in it. That was my douh! moment for our trip. Best of luck and make the Sunshine State proud!

Kent Williams

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard