Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 219 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Misplaced wallet: Doctor refused to see me
#697 11/09/09 04:02 PM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
This forum has been quiet for too long so...

I lost (or rather misplaced) my wallet yesterday. I couldn't find it this morning, so I had to go to work without it.

At 10:15, I had a followup visit scheduled to my dermatologist to check up on a photo-dynamic therapy treatment as well as another 6-week lotion treatment. (I am paying the price for too much sun exposure the first 25 years of my life.)

This doctor always demands to be handed my insurance cards every visit. Even though nothing has ever changed in the several years I've been going there. So today I tell the receptionist I am cardless. She calls me up to the counter a few minutes later and offers to give me the numbers to call to get new insurance cards, and then tells me I'll need to reschedule for a date when I can bring in the cards.

I told her, "No, don't bother."

I'm looking for a new dermatologist.

Re: Misplaced wallet: Doctor refused to see me
Steve C #699 11/09/09 05:04 PM
Steve I would have lost it right there mad That is total BS ARGGGGGGGG!

hypoxic Zombie #703 11/09/09 06:36 PM
Rod Offline
That is insane. Copy the card once put it into your file.Unless something changes you are good.Nobody requires you to produce your card every visit.

Steve C #705 11/09/09 07:21 PM
CaT Offline
That's nuts! Ask them if they have ever heard of a photocopier, as in photocopying your insurance card for their records, and asking only annually for an update of that, like every other doctor on the planet??! I would switch doctors on the spot!

If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracle of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it.
- Lyndon Johnson, on signing the Wilderness Act into law (1964)
CaT #708 11/09/09 10:25 PM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Found the wallet when I got home -- on a shelf in my garage. smirk

I had complained to this doctor in the past about her policy -- she claimed she was ahead of all the others, that others would eventually do the same. Also, receptionist said their insurance carrier required them to "scan the card" every time.

...this doctor is accepting new patients, by the way. grin

Steve C #711 11/10/09 06:43 AM
K
K
Steve,
I call a giant "BS" on your doctor's office policy. Aren't we in the midst of getting medical records on line??? My husband is in long term treatment with a major medical center, and I can tell you that once signed up, you're done unless you change insurance. I have no use for surly receptionists...get a new doc. Rant over!

Karen R
Steve C #726 11/10/09 01:54 PM
D
D
Originally Posted By: Steve C

...this doctor is accepting new patients, by the way. grin

Darn, it's a long commute to Fresno, grin

Steve C #9058 11/09/10 01:57 PM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Just to post a followup here...

A few months ago, an associate of mine had a bad experience with this doctor, too. Something about a prescription needing to be rewritten due to a dosage problem or unavailability of the dosage the doctor originally prescribed. The doctor demanded my associate come in and pay another office visit fee to get the new Rx. She refused, and then asked for a copy of her medical records. The doctor would not cooperate, so she reported the doctor to the local medical board.

And just yesterday...
My associate and I both received a Dear Patient letter from that dermatologist informing all patients that the practice has closed, and the doctor is going to work for Kaiser.

My response is... NO WONDER!

Rod #9064 11/09/10 09:11 PM
H
H
Originally Posted By: Rod
Copy the card once put it into your file.Unless something changes you are good.Nobody requires you to produce your card every visit.

Rod, we do. "Unless something changes" happens all the time, and it is gonna get much worse.

Here is some perspective from the other side here (with risk of being castigated) as a public service announcement.

Unfortunately the front desk people may become bossy with the "good" patients because of the bad apples they do see. And it gets worse when those bad apples feel they are entitled.

I'd say a problematic and significantly time-involved 15-20 % of our visits need insurance info updates/changes. Often the patient is unaware/can't possibly comprehend the (purposeful) nightmare of insurance so we must double check. This saves them and us aggravation in the long run.

Steve, if an existing patient like you does not have their card or their copay we will see them as a courtesy and ask that they send us the info or copay later. However, since we do not see emergencies, if a new patient does not come with proper ID, insurance card, authorization for visit, or copay, we do not see them. Off to a bad start is a bad sign. And we rarely reschedule a new one who misses that first appointment. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. Serving the general public is not like serving you, but unfortunately you got treated like the general public.

Harvey Lankford #9066 11/09/10 09:38 PM
Bee Offline
Originally Posted By: Harvey Lankford
"Unless something changes" happens all the time, and it is gonna get much worse.

I am one of those fortunate patients who only sees the doc once a year, and each time I go, I am at the ready to produce the card, because we know-assume-anticipate that radical changes have occurred over the 12 mo. period. This year it was the co-pay that went from $10 to $85!!

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
Bee #9069 11/09/10 10:39 PM
Rod Offline
Harvey,
Well we do have to verify with a valid drivers license that the persons ID matches their insurance card. We are required to do this for identity theft. So now we are in the policing business.We only have to ask if a persons insurance has changed or if they have moved.We currently are not required to check their insurance card on every visit.Of course we have insurance software that lets us know coverage,dedutables and co-pays.I have 2 full-time people to bill insurance,and verify by phone or computer their coverage. One of the few benefits of managed care is instant access on-line to their coverage. They do have to fill out a monthly insurance form for the insurance co.
Most of my patients are repeat patients that have been coming in for years.We know them well and their insurance coverage. New patients have to go through paper work hell.

Link Copied to Clipboard